Chapter 17 ~ A Sense Of Guilt

Without waiting for the car to be turned off, Zaid opened its door and rushed inside his mansion. The guard house had bullet holes all over and the security guards had been gunned down. Stepping into the living room, his eyes scanned everything from the bullets being fired on the walls, vases broken down, and the couch changing its place.

It looks like someone has been dragged against her own will.

His hands trembled but he gripped it into iron fists. More of his bodyguards' corpses were all over the place.

"Sir," a voice crying in pain came from the side room.

Zaid dashed through the debris and encountered one of the maids who were lying down holding her bloodied stomach. Using a dishcloth, he covered the wound, pressed down hard with both hands.

"You'll be fine, tell me what happened?"

Sobbing, the lady narrated how Isabella returned home after Zaid left as her high heels was broken. She was just about to leave again when a group of masked men entered the house and started firing. One of them, the leader dressed in a business suit dragged Isabella from her room to the patio where he knocked her head with a gun to render her unconscious.

"They killed everyone, sir."

"No, they didn't. Saeed, get her to the hospital right now. I'll try finding out about these bastards."

Zaid sprinted upwards and turned his computer on. Unfortunately, the footage was erased completely. There was nothing that could help him find out who took Isabella. He thought she would be vulnerable in the outer world but never expected that an enemy would dare take her from his home.

"You find her, Saeed," Zaid asked at once he picked up the call, this time knowing the caller.

"I think you should go to Isabella's old neighborhood right now. That boy, Toni called me and said come there immediately."

"Was it him? Saeed, what exactly happened?"

"He is refusing to talk unless you get there. Go right now."

Muttering a curse and punching the table, Zaid left behind a house full of corpses that he had no time to disappear and drove recklessly to his destination. What could Toni possibly know that he had to be present on site? The nerve of this young man only enraged him further.

The place was as dirty as he remembered. All the chaos caused by him and his men were still in place but in front of the main building, Jamal Hasim's headquarters, black jeeps stood proudly. A smirking Toni with a bandage around his head was surrounded by dangerous looking men in suits. How did the world turn upside down overnight?

He could only wonder what herbal medicine he took to be able to stand on his feet. Either he is strong or his men are very weak. On the humor side, he lost quite a number of men today.

"Where's Isabella?"

"Shouldn't the question be vice-versa? After all, you took her forcibly from here. You endangered her life, you piece of shit."

"Watch your tongue, Hasim."

"If anything happens to her, just remember, I'll kill you before him. Follow me."

When Zaid's eyes fell on who loves Isabella more than Toni, who will dare to kill him, his face turned white as a ghost.

"King"

Toni stood next to him and said, "Yes, and also Isabella's father."

The tension was so strong in the room that air seemed to be thickened. Zaid stared at his mentor in disbelief. Of course it didn't take long for the stern looking man to get up from the cheap wooden chair in Jamal Hasim's living area to wrap a hand around his neck and pinned him against the wall.

"That was a dumb move Zaid. Since when mafia leaders marry a girl against her will or force her by threatening her family?"

"I didn't know she was your daughter."

The words came with difficulty from his mouth as he was on the point of lacking oxygen. King eventually let go of him and the coughs came rapidly, gasping for air. This is worse than he had ever expected but still it doesn't make sense. If she is truly the daughter of the most dangerous man he knew, why she was living in the most pathetic place on earth.

Secrets had to be revealed.

Isabella's mother, Nabeela narrated how she fell for King whose real name is Josh Grayson when she was eighteen. Secret meetings led to an affair and eventually pregnancy. But before she could tell him, he had to leave the country as his identity was leaked to the cops. Nabeela felt betrayed but also knew her father Kaseem Azad and brothers might kill her for this shameful act so she ran away from home. An angel of the name of Jamal Hasim took her in and his family helped her through the harsh times. She never had the guts to face the Azad family until Isabella turned six. That's when she first introduced them and admitted the truth. They of course took their time but didn't exactly welcome her with open arms.

By the time she was done, fat tears were rolling down her cheeks. King hugged her, running his hand up and down her back to soothe her.

"I'm sorry Nabeela but I promise I'll bring our daughter home."

King turned to Zaid with his cold steel gaze.

"Did they leave any clue, anything that could help Zaid?"

"He called on my mobile phone," he uttered like he didn't want to say.

His mansion is pretty much a high class graveyard right now but the unknown caller revealed something only Saeed and he are aware about. History will repeat on itself except this time the girl was his wife not fiancée. Zaid had never told anyone about Ishana and would never share anything.

"He must be an old foe."

"How many old foes do you exactly have?" King asked.

The list was so long that he didn't even know where to begin. He can be anyone. Zaid didn't reply but the silence revealed his answer. Luckily for King, he doesn't have to rely on anyone. At the far end of the room, three men were sitting in front of computers. They were already hacking into his mobile phone network to trace the masked number and followed his every move from there.

"Anything yet?" Toni yelled after a whole half hour of moving around the room, patience running thin.

The men looked at each other confusedly and one of them who looked as if he's about to shit his pants, walked to King.

"She is on a plane. We can't know where exactly until it lands."

Zaid didn't like the idea of waiting. Who knew what they could be doing to her on that plane? Blood rushed to his brain. In a fit of anger, he overthrew a table and muttered a small sorry for his act of disturbance. He rushed outside the suffocating place with only a thing in mind.

If anything ever happened to Isabella, he'll kill himself. He won't be able to live knowing once again destiny played him wrong; all his promises having failed again.

He was already on his breaking point. All scenarios playing like a movie. What if he never married her? She would have still been a waitress in his hotel, he would have watched her from afar till the day he sat on one knee. But everything turned upside down.

"Zaid," he heard Saeed calling his name. One glance it took from the man to pull him into a brotherly hug.

"We'll save her, Zaid. She won't meet the same fate as Ishana," he spoke in a low voice.

"Let's hope because I'll never forgive myself if anything happens to her."