Chapter 34 ~ A Secret Worth Hiding

Sitting in the inner garden of the Malik mansion with a milkshake in hand, Zaynah does what she has been doing best in the only ladies cocktail party, organized by Farah Malik; make small talks, use her pregnancy as an excuse for exhaustion and observe from afar.

Till now she had gathered information but nothing that could be of any help to her brother. It might only scare him further.

Just like the Seven League, The Legends also has their monthly meeting but most of the times it's Cambridge instead of London and their headquarters where they operates, trains, plan their mission is somewhere beneath the Sahara desert.

Zaynah sat down and laughed like a maniac for a whole fifteen minutes the day she discovered this news accidentally from one of the higher officers' wife. It might take her brother or the other gang leaders a lifetime to locate their base in the world's hottest desert which is almost the same size as China.

"Would you like a cupcake ma'am?" The butler asked and Zaynah nodded. Pregnancy was her biggest asset. She is always given extra care and attention.

She crammed it in fast, sipped on the cool drink and put her feet on the foot stool.

"Finally I got some time to talk to you," said Farah, walking towards her. Zaynah was about to sit properly but she advised otherwise. If only this hoe could have seen her inner devilish smile

"Your party is fabulous and the food is cooked to perfection, I have to say it every time," Zaynah complimented like a radio stuck on a loop. Using baby steps to get closer to her is proving efficient.

"Thank you. You're a sweetheart and you're getting close to your due date, aren't you?"

"Yes, only about a month now and I'll be able to wear my slim jeans again. Where are the kids though, I haven't seen them?"

"Well Ehteshaam is playing video games, locked in his room. Anisha is out there with one of my old classmates who flew down from Ireland and Akira is up with Cheryl. She gets sick easily when she goes outside so I can't let her be a part of the party or else what mother wouldn't want to show off her beautiful daughter."

"You have a great sense of humor Farah, I'll have to admit."

Zaynah is the only one who knew how she restrained herself from not making this woman vomit the truth. It's the same all the time. Anisha becomes the highlight while Akira stays indoor. With the men not even present including Eijaz who has left the country for work purposes, Farah gained an upper hand.

She waited for her to attend her guests and text Cheryl to bring Akira down. Zaynah made sure that all the ladies were spreading in the meadow, basking in the afternoon sunlight and complimenting each other's jewelries from the way they are shining.

"Farah ma'am said-"

"Not bring her outside because she gets sick, in case you haven't deduced I'm staying indoor Cheryl. I'll be here all the time, watching from the window. Take a ten minute break, go on."

Taking the baby in her arms, Zaynah's hand once again wrapped around the golden necklace that always stays with Akira. Surprisingly Anisha doesn't have one despite being the favorite child.

"Where have I seen this before?" She muttered, caressing the smooth surface of the necklace. No matter how much she is wrecking her brains, she can't put a finger on it.

"You are growing too attached to my daughter Zaynah."

She could feel her pulse beginning to race as she expected Farah was outside along with everyone else. She took a seat opposite of her, crossing one leg over the other, showing her true self in the solitary.

"Not at all, it's just that Akira is lonely up there and-"

"You can cut the crap bitch and get to the point because I know before you are Eijaz's wife, you are Zaid Adeeb Tahir's only sister."

A deafening silence fell between them, sucking all the air from her lungs. She knew Farah is smart but didn't expect her cover will be blown so soon. Cheryl arrived and snatched the baby from her arms proving where her loyalty truly lies. Now that the cat is out of the bag, there should be no harm in direct confrontation.

"The necklace Akira is wearing is familiar but I can't remember. Why does she have it and Anisha doesn't have one?"

Farah smirked, glancing at Cheryl who too had a surprised expression all over her face.

"You really are a detective's wife, aren't you? I didn't know you'll get so close to a truth that my darling husband Adeel hasn't even realized yet. He thought it was a representation of motherly love to her child. I salute you Zaynah."

"You cut the crap Farah because I also know that you're double sided, you're in hands with the Jafry family from the Seven League."

"You know you aren't just smart but dumb as well. Threatening me in my house despite knowing who I truly I'm, isn't a smart move. You don't remember but your darling brother Zaid will recognize the moment he sees this necklace because he was there when it was being made."

An eerie silence took over as her heart beats accelerated.

"That's not possible, I mean that can't be -"

"I think you have already figured it out but you won't be able to tell anyone. I'm sorry Zaynah but I can't risk getting exposed and have everything that I've planned go down the drain. You are a thorn that I'll have to remove from my way," said Farah.

She has never imagined death to approach her in a vile way. As if on instinct, her hand touched her rounded belly.

"Please Farah," she begged, tears filling in her eyes. "I'm pregnant; don't do this to my child."

"You are unbelievable. I will never kill your child but I have the perfect ending to your story. Cheryl, will you take care of her?"

She didn't have enough time to react when something was injected in her neck, causing her eyelids to become heavy and body to go numb.

"Sweet dreams Zaynah."