Chapter 49 ~ A Violent Christmas Eve [part 1]

"Bye Zaid"

Hiba kissed him on the cheek, hung her bag at her elbow and stepped down of the black Mercedes Benz while the concierge started removing her suitcases from the trunk. She smiled at him and realized he wasn't leaving.

"I'm in front of my building. You can go."

"I know I just want to watch you go inside."

"Zaid you live three buildings away. Standing right here, I can watch you go inside too. It's cold, you should get home."

"If ever I don't get dinner tonight, can I come at your place?"

"You are always welcome," she said noticing a dramatic eye roll from Saeed. She simply smiled and helped the man to lift her suitcases on the front steps. She'll never get the same respect as Isabella from Zaid's own.

"Let's go Saeed."

"With pleasure," he replied.

The car went in the underground parking lot with mild snowflake on the windshield. The air turned colder and both men rushed inside the elevator with their suitcases.

"I noticed the mocking face you made to her. Do I have to remind you that Hiba is an orphan or her parents died in a car crash few years ago?"

"You seem to pity orphans a lot my friend while forgetting you are tied to someone else. Good night."

Saeed tightened his scarf to his neck when the door slided on the hallway. Zaid nodded at him and waited patiently for the elevator to raise three levels higher. He stepped into the apartment after using his own key as knocking won't be necessary since he wasn't aware if Isabella was back or not. However the fragrance of roasted chicken, cinnamon and curry reaching his nose gave an answer.

The Queen is not just in her kingdom but ruling it as well.

The Christmas tree in the corner next to the floor to ceiling window panes had only white lights and the lamps from around the apartment were lit. The scented candles as well as if the atmosphere wanted to be set homey and romantic at the same time. Mozart was being played at a moderate volume on the speaker and laughing was heard coming from the kitchen.

Zaid left his suitcase in the living room and took off his coat, folding the sleeves of his slim pullover to his elbows. Sitting at the table, he noticed the back of a man and Isabella who sported a black turtleneck and blue jeans, was bringing plates when her eyes fell on him.

"Look who decides to grace us with his disgraced presence. Jay, meet my two-timing asshole husband Zaid."

The man turned around. Zaid was taken aback for he thought he was young but Jay looked old enough to be the age of their parents and somehow with his scars and roguish face, his past must have been quite similar to Zaid's if not worst. One look and it was enough for him to give a personality.

"I wish I could say it's a pleasure to meet you Mr. Zaid but I've heard only insults from your lovely wife."

He took a seat opposite of the man leaving the place for the head of the table empty for Isabella and clenched his jaw.

"What the fuck are you doing in my home?" Zaid asked menacingly.

Isabella slammed the plates on the dining table and placed a hand on her hip.

"You don't insult my guest and let me inform you Jay is now a part of the Seven League so you talk to your fellow co-worker with respect."

"And where did you pick him up? Old age prison?"

"How dare you?"

"Please stop fighting. Dinner is getting cold," Jay said and the angry couple looked like they weren't done for the day. Isabella served her guest a glass of wine and filled in her plate, completely ignoring Zaid was at the table too. He got up and fetched himself a plate and a bottle of cold water.

"If you are truly curious Mr. Zaid, I'm a refugee, not from an old people's home but a mental asylum. I was there because I can't stand liars so I killed them."

Isabella focused on the juicy chicken breast despite knowing clearly Zaid was staring into her soul but Jay wasn't finished.

"I escaped and continued to kill but for cannibals this time."

"What the fuck?" Zaid stood up abruptly backing away from the table. Even Isabella stared at him with wide eyes but she wasn't as scared as her husband.

"Are you a cannibal Jay?" She asked, her knife clutching tight in her grip.

"Of course not my dear, I needed to hide from the authorities so I killed for them so that I don't become their breakfast. But they all died, two by officers of The Legends and I was caught, tortured for a while and I escaped again where I met you in Egypt. This is the story of my life in the littlest words possible. You need not be afraid of me Mr. Zaid. I will never hurt you, of course if Isabella wished otherwise."

Zaid looked at Isabella for rescue but she smirked, showing it with all pride.

"You're absolutely right Jay. You told me you have killed ninety nine people but then the ninety eighth one turned out to be alive and then you killed a female soldier in The Legends when you escaped so you're back to ninety nine?"

"I'm glad you remembered."

"Well let's make sure Zaid doesn't become your hundredth victim. Have a seat husband; your dinner is going cold."

"I'm not hungry anymore."

"Sit," she commanded and it was enough for him to sit opposite of the worst murderer he has ever encountered. Little by little he digested the food despite his stomach churned with anger and fear, not his life but Isabella's who didn't realize she signed a deal with the devil. Hate to say 'I told you so' but Isabella was pretty naïve for the leader of a mafia organization.

"So how was South Korea? I heard your mistress was with you."

"Ah, your lovely mistress who used to be dear Isabella's best friend. I must say Mr. Zaid; the wife's best friend is a real classic."

He isn't aware of his weakness or he would have already done something about it. Isabella claiming the upper hand won't certainly help but Zaid decides to keep calm for their safety. He knew if he didn't play his role well, countless lives just become endangered.

"It was cold and everyone missed you," Zaid said, actually smiling.

"Did you miss me?" She asked, dropping her fork on the table.

"Yes I did."

"There's not even one percent of honesty in your answer husband. Be careful because Jay hates liars, like really hate them."

Like a depiction of Satan he could see how Jay's gaze hardened, blood rushing to his face. He struggled to lift his eyes from Zaid back to his food and the way he held his fork was like a knife. One permission from Isabella and he could jump across the table and slit his throat, splashing blood over the well-cooked chicken turning this moment into a horror violent Christmas eve.

"I promise you darling I'm not lying and as for mistress I broke up with her because she used me, taking advantage when I was at my most vulnerable, snatching me from you. I regret my actions and promised not to go to her again," he said wholeheartedly.

Zaid performed acting of the year making one drop of tear dropping down his cheek upon noticing tears filling in Isabella's eyes and said the biggest lie ever in front of a psychopathic murderer who kills liars as a living.

"Are you serious?" Isabella asked, her voice lowering down and breaking a little.

"Yes, my love."

Isabella looked unsure of this sudden change but tears can't lie unless they are crocodile tears. She didn't know whether to believe him or not but hearing my love made her stand up and throw her arms around Zaid's neck, inhaling a female perfume instead of his usual cologne.

"You fucking liar," she whispered in his ear, knee attacking into his groin. Zaid screamed pushing her away.

"Is this trouble in paradise my dear Isabella?" Jay asked in the sweet accent he loved making, lifting his glass in the air for Isabella to clink hers.

"No, it's a glimpse of hell. Merry Christmas."