Chapter 38 ~ A Show Of Envy

Isabella's due date was in a week and nervousness has overtaken her entire body

Isabella's due date was in a week and nervousness has overtaken her entire body. Her bedroom has been shifted on the ground floor and all she was doing was making forth and back trips to the kitchen and in front of the television, watching nineties action flicks. It was her coping mechanism and routine.

As for Zaid, he has become closer and distant simultaneously. He didn't talk much like before when he heard about Zaynah's sudden disappearance. He hired detectives to search for her but there was no response. He felt part guilty too just like Eijaz but he swore if ever he appeared in front of him, he'll kill without remorse. In his eyes, Eijaz was a two-timer bastard who ruined his sister's perfect life so Isabella made sure to save his life by threatening him to stay as far away possible from them.

It's the least she could have done for him.

As for closer, the mansion pretty much became an office. The drugs business was put on pause because of cops' intelligence and would only resume in a few months' time when the matter has gone cold.

Rubbing her belly in a soothing motion, Isabella yawned for the nth time yet she didn't feel like lying down. She felt lazy by sleeping too much when she could be doing something productive. She went to the kitchen where the maids stepped down from the stools at once, ready to be at her service.

"I want some coffee."

"Right away ma'am"

"No I mean I want to make some coffee for Zaid. He's working too much."

"But ma'am, sir said that..."

"I'm not going to cook a five course meal, not that a great chef. It's just coffee. I will literally go crazy if I don't do something right now."

They looked unsure since they were under strict orders that Isabella shouldn't feel exhausted at all. But by doing nothing, she was getting more tired and boredom loomed over her head. They didn't leave; instead they started putting every item on the table for her. Isabella smiled and got to work.

One of the maid even showed her how to make a heart coffee art. It didn't look pretty but the effort could be deemed as alright for a first timer.

"It is perfect ma'am," she said, knowing they can't ever tell her she is wrong. Isabella simply smiled and took the tray where biscuits have been placed as well and walked towards the study room.

They trailed behind in case the tray would be too heavy for her to handle. Another sweet gesture or strict order by her husband, she can't tell which one exactly.

Turning into the hallway, she motioned with her head to open the door.

"Shouldn't we knock?" The maid said looking at the other one who was sharing the same idea in her mind. They are about to break another rule in a span of ten minutes.

"I'm his wife, just open it," she said.

She nodded and turned the knob pushing the door open. When Isabella entered, to her utter horror, Zaid was sitting on his armchair but turned to the left instead towards the table and his secretary held his face between her hands, blowing air on his face.

She was startled and looked up at the trio of women, two shocked and one so pissed that she threw the tray across the room.

"What happened?" Zaid yelled but his secretary was too dumbfounded to reply. She could only stare at Isabella and yet didn't remove her hands.

Anger surged but she latched on, fingers curled into a fist. Isabella could only stare and think. One week, just one week of patience

"It's your wife. She threw the coffee tray," she said, voice trembling a little.

"Oh, don't mind her, keep blowing, my eyes are burning," he said and she obeyed at once.

The maids understood the cue to leave but Isabella crossed her arms beneath her chest and observed.

"It's done sir," she said, backing against the wall behind him as Zaid rubbed his eye, blinked a few times and looked at his wife.

"A fly went into my eye," he said.

Exhaling hard Isabella turned her back making sure to slam the door hard enough for anyone else in this house to hear.

"It's not his fault a fly went into his eye, Isa, it can happen to anyone, stay calm," she muttered in silent, walking back to her bedroom, trying to push jealousy deep down into the pit of her stomach. All she did was help excluding the fact that she is looking pretty and is wearing a tight skirt.

Isabella turned the television and put the movie Die Hard on play. Maybe watching the hero beat the shit out of villains could ease her mood. Rather sooner the door was opened by Zaid, a tray of coffee in his hand.

"Dark and bitter, the way you like it," he said, placing it on the table beside. He crouched down, fingers tightened around hers.

"You are okay, darling?"

"I'm sorry if I overreacted because I know you would have totally understood if it was me instead of you and a hot man instead of your secretary. You're a good man Zaid."

"Thank you for your sassy honesty. I'm glad the old Isabella is back," he said, giving a little kiss on top of her head.

"Why don't you just go to your hotel if so many people have to come into our home? I still have a week."

"I'm not taking any chance. Sometimes dates can be wronged, what if you get the baby before and I'm not here, ambulance is late or anything else, I'm not having this conversation with you."

"Well can you at least appoint a male secretary or a married woman? I cannot control jealousy especially after what happened. I trust you Zaid but I don't trust strangers."

"It's cute when you're jealous but don't get violent because the coffee cup that you have broken was a family antique. My mother had bought it when I was a kid."

"Oh shit, Zaid I'm so sorry."

"Chill, I'm just pulling your legs."

Isabella grabbed a pillow to throw at him but instead it stuck the closed door. The urge to grab his handsome face and rained kisses overwhelmed her but she shook her head and resumed her movie. That's good sign in their relationship because after so long he pranked her. At least the old Zaid is surfacing back little by little.

He opened the door again and smiled at her, grabbing the pillow which Isabella caught successfully when he propelled in her direction.

"I was once a basketball champion Mr. Zaid," she said proudly and putting pause again on the movie, she said what was on her mind but never had a chance to confess before due to tension with Zaynah's sudden disappearance.

"Zaid, I was thinking of baby names. Do you mind if I name him or her?"

He nodded and crossed his arms beneath his chest. "Sure, that's your job and I'm sure they'll be pretty. Let's hear."

"Okay," she said, taking a deep breath. "If it's a boy, Isaac Adeeb Tahir and if it's a girl, Kamilah Isha Tahir."

Words left him as he focused on the girl's name knowing exactly what went through Isabella's mind. He cannot let go of his past and here she is helping him. His eyes desperately searched hers.

"Isha"

"I knew you'll like it because I like the name, besides it will be the middle name not the first."

"Then I hope it's a girl," he said, leaving the room as fast possible, not wanting to allow Isabella see the broken parts of his heart that might mend, one day. He quickly wiped his eyes and returned to work.