CH 10: Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's Off to School We Go

MING'S POV

It's early, still dark outside, but I hear the door to my room open. I know its Yo because I recognize his scent, and I know exactly what he is going to do before he does it, but I let it happen anyway.

He launches himself across the room, changing into wolf form before landing on the bed, or rather my chest.

"Ooof," I utter as the air rushes out of me while trying to grab him as he dances around the bed in excitement. He's chuffing in laughter as I sit up and try to give him a stern look. I say 'try' because I can't hold it for more than a few seconds before giving in and laughing too. He's just too darn cute for his own good.

Managing to grab him, I lay us back down on the bed saying, "It's still too early, lets sleep for another hour."

He lets out a sharp yip, full of outrage at my statement.

"Please??" I beg. "It's only 5 am. Please just one more hour?"

He releases a huff, but settles down in my arms and stops squirming, which I take for his agreement. He drifts back off to sleep, but not me. I lay there thinking about our plans for today.

There will be many things I need to get done once we arrive at the dorms today, so I'll have to turn Yo over to Forth's care for a while this afternoon. There needs to be a complete security run down in the building and review of the new systems that were installed on our floor and around the outside. I also want to study the campus layout, but it's only Wednesday and I have a week and a half before school starts. I can get it done during that time.

Yesterday, Alpha Panitchayasawad gave me the list of the current dorm residents and the preliminary background checks for both the humans and wolves. I'll review the ones who are on our floor today and the rest over the next week. It's essential to make sure everyone who comes into contact with Yo is a safe as possible.

Sometimes, it's hard to tell how strongly wolves are going to react to Yo, so I'll need to set up a couple of meet and greets with them in small groups over the next 10 days. Since Yo has never been around humans before, their reactions to him are currently and unknown factor, which I hate. I'll set up a small meeting for them too, but we'll have to let the majority of those scenarios play out and deal with the consequences individually.

Glancing at the clock, it's 5:30 now, I can still catch another 30 minutes sleep before I have to get up.

--------------------

We were able to catch an extra hour of sleep since Yo didn't wake up till 6:30 am, but now it's 9 am and we're loading our final bags into the car. Most of our things went yesterday by truck and will be waiting for us in our dorm rooms.

Yo is so excited. I can feel the emotion bursting in the air around us like little bubbles against my skin. It's a heady feeling.

Pretty much the whole pack, with our parents in front, have turned out to see us off. Wayo runs and jumps into his dad's arms and gives him a giant hug and kiss on the cheek. His dad releases him and Yo is off walking through the crowd talking to people and saying his goodbyes.

Walking up to our dads, they both give me the standard man's handshake-one-arm-hug thing.

Yo's father looks me in the eyes and declares, "I am trusting you with the most important thing in the world to me. Please take care of him. Call me if you need anything. Remember to text Nong Forth when you get close and he'll meet you at the dorm."

I give Yo's dad a nod in confirmation, he's heard the words from me at least 10 times in the last 24 hours.

"Ai'Yo, we need to get on the road." I call to him. I know he's in the crowd somewhere, but I can't see him.

"I'm coming, I'm coming," is what I get in reply. He slowly makes his way back to the front and gives his dad another hug, "Bye daddy, I'll miss you. I'll call you after I'm settled in tonight, ok?"

"Er, er, er... you need to get going or you're going to hit traffic." Yo's dad tells us.

Yo starts walking towards the car, but turns back facing the crowd before he opens the door. His eyes are filling with tears as he looks at everyone gathered there to say goodbye. I watch him take a deep breath and throw his arms wide open as a wave of pure love rolls over everyone. It feels warm and almost sticky. It makes your heart flop in your chest as it puts a gigantic, silly smile on your face.

He turns to the car, jumps in, and slams the door before the feeling dissipates. When I climb into the driver's seat I can see his cheeks, ears, and neck are all a rosy red color. So funny, why do it if you were going to be so embarrassed about it.

------------------

We're finally here. I park the car and we climb out and look around. Yo texted Forth about 20 minutes ago to let him know we'd be arriving soon. As we start walking towards the building, Forth steps out the front doors and starts heading our way across the parking lot. Yo breaks into a run and jumps onto Forth who catches him easily and swings him around in a circle before setting him down and giving him a hug.

Letting out a snort of irritation, I remind myself to have a conversation with Yo about his way of greeting people.

Walking up to them, I wait for them to notice me, but they are in their own little world. I give a discreet cough and wai to Forth when he finally looks my way. "Hello P'Forth. It's been a long time."

"Yes, hello N'Ming, it has been," he replies, but his eyes have already drifted back to Yo.

Recognizing I'm about to make this man's day with my next words, I feel hesitant about saying them. It's not like I have anything against Forth, I just feel he is a little too attached to Yo. Of course, I've felt that way for 7 years now and it hasn't changed anything. So, today I'm going to let it go and do what I have to do.

"P'Forth after you help us with our bags and show us our rooms, can I ask if you'd be willing to stay with Ai'Yo while he gets settled in? I have some things I need to get done over the next few hours and will be busy."

Forth's eyes shoot to mine shortly after I start speaking, and the happiness he feels at my request is evident to see. "Certainly, N'Ming. I'm happy to help N'Yo get settled. I cleared the rest of my day, so I could be here for both of you." He looks back to Yo, "Is it alright with you if we spend the afternoon together?"

"Of course, P'Forth. It's been so long since I've seen you. We have so much catching up to do. I want to hear all about school and your classes. Does that mean we can have dinner tonight?"

And I'm completely forgotten as they head off together.

---------------------

A/N: 

Here's the second update I promised for today. We're finally at school!

Hope everyone liked it!  

09.08.2017

Edited:  02.06.2018   9:00 pm  US CST