The Call

Amy POV

You know, I really, really, really hate Halloween.

Who even celebrates this stupid holiday anyways? Who even came up with it?

I groan as Shawn tries to for the billionth time this last minute to scare me.

"BOO!" He screams in my ear. I turn to Caleb, a pleading look on my face.

"Please Caleb, control that cousin of yours, I don't think I can last any long any longer before lashing out on him!" Don't look at me like that, I never had lunch that's to Mr. Idiot who tried to interrogate me.

Caleb smiles, I find my legs turning to jelly as those bright blue eyes pierce through mine. God those dimples, they can make any woman fall to their mercy.

"Shawn, calm down, you can't scare her, it's impossible."

Shawn groans. "Everyone is afraid of something, I promise you that I will scare by midnight!" He says it as though he's proclaiming his undying love instead of someone who wants to scare you.

I roll my eyes at his antics. "Use that voice when you proclaim your love for Riley."

Shawn smiles at the mention of her name. Riley is someone who you could go to when you needed something, needed to tell someone something without them judging you, needed someone to keep a secret, or you just wanted a cookie.

She was always the calm one in our group, a true leader. Everyone loved her, she was warm, kind, welcoming, and could bake delicious pastries.

"SHAWN!" We all look up at the sound of Alex's voice.

"Yes?" Shawn asks. Alex eyes me and Emily, specifically me, but turns around to Shawn and whispers something.

Shawn's face grows darker, you can tell he disagrees with whatever it is that Alex is saying.

He whispers something harshly back at Alex, both of them eyeing me.

Shawn nods his head and Alex walks away. I have no idea what just went down, but I know it had something to do with me.

Ring!

We all walk off to class, making sure to first exchange numbers.

I groan knowing I have gym now. With, unfortunately, Alexander.

-------

"Alright class, you are to run 5 laps around the football field and then grab a partner, a football, and practice throwing!"

I groan. I hate the football unit, not because I'm not good at it, but because I always get left with the weak nerds who don't know how to throw.

I start at a jog, keeping a steady pace for my first lap, gradually increasing my speed as I move into a new lap. 

By the third lap the jocks who used up all their speed are slowly but surely falling behind. 

By the fourth lap, I'm in the top five. Alexander taking first, following with Shawn, Liam and Caleb. I'm obviously the fastest girl here. Behind me is Luke and Xavier, Bree's twin.

Halfway through the fourth lap, I pass Caleb and Liam. Shawn and Alexander are left.

Entering the fifth lap, I'm full on sprinting. My breathing coming out in even pants.

 I pass Shawn who looks at me in surprise, I was never very athletic in Middle School.

Soon though, I'm running side by side with Alexander. He spares me a glance before looking ahead and trying to increase his speed, I do the same.