Chapter Forty Three

PSA: AMY'S BIRTHDAY IS BEING CHANGED FROM AUGUST TO JUNE 17! EXPLANATION DOWN BELOW

External Narrator

Everyone erupts once I tell them the news. I think the thing that gets them even more riled is the fact that my face now represents a blueberry. 

“What do they mean by yet?”

“Night Howlers!”

“Let’s declare war before they can!”

“We can’t risk it!”

“SHUT UP!” Alec screams at all of them. We’re in one of our spare houses and right now every single member of the Black Knight gang that is in the state is here, the rest who are back in New York being on a video chat projected onto a few TVs around the room. “This is not a matter of freaking out, this is a matter of regrouping and reassessing what our next move all together will be!”

“But to answer your questions,” I interrupt Alec. “We have been threatened by a war by the Night Howlers, the howling wolf states as much. What they did to me, that assault, is only a taste of what they will do if we decide to get divided right now. As of now, the only reason we’ll have war at our doorstep soon, is if we hang out with their Heir. However, by the looks of things, this war is not something that we can ignore.”

“Riley has come forward and told us a few things,” Shawn continues at my pause. “Amy Kuether is not who she seems. This girl is a Mafia princess. She herself is a force to be reckoned with. She’s the daughter of the leader of the Black Mississippi gang, the granddaughter of the former leader of the Night Howlers and the daughter of an assassin. Not only that, she's made herself a name as the undefeated champion at the underground! Steven and Helen Claus are spies sent from the former third in command of the Night Howlers, Ashton, who plans to dethrone Jared.”

A few cheers are heard throughout my gang but I only stare at Shawn in disbelief. I glance at Alec and he shrugs his shoulders, not knowing what Shawn is talking about either. “A war is coming, and we must do everything we can to make sure we are on the right side of this war - the side that wins!” Everyone cheers at his words while Alec and I stare, bewildered at Shawn. 

We start talking war tactics as well as security tactics to ensure that no surprise attacks are made on us. After a bunch of stupid questions are answered, I am finally able to end this meeting. “Remember, in the end it is not about whether or not we came out with the most men alive, but rather that we made the biggest impact in this war!”

My gang members are still cheering when I walk out of the room, officially ending that meeting.

------

“How long has Riley known?” I ask Shawn. I recall him asking me for permission to tell him, but that was almost a whole month ago.

He shrugs his shoulders. “Around two and half weeks by now. You said it was okay for her to know!”

“I really don’t care if she knows, I want to know if her information is valid and if she’s trustworthy. Secondly, I want to know where she got this information from and how she got it.”

“Um . . .” He trails off, no proper answer able to satisfy my questions and he knows that. 

“How about you ask she instead?” A new voice answers.

My gun is pointed within seconds towards Riley. My eyes narrow at her figure as she stays calm, not even flinching at being held at gunpoint.

“Dude!” Shawn exclaims and smacks my shoulder in an attempt to get me to lower my gun.