Chapter Forty

External Narrator

Helen freezes colder than the air around them. She feels the gun in her pants practically beating against her skin. The blade in her boot is a cool sensation against the blood running throughout her whole body. Her fingers twitch, wanting nothing more than to grab the blade and feel it sink into the skin of the woman in front of her. 

“I want to make a deal,” Riley continues, as though they were having the most casual conversation in the world. “I will tell you the plans of my mission, if you tell me yours. I need the help, and from the progressive you two are making, I’m certain you need my help as well.” 

Helen doesn’t say anything, just continues to glare at Riley. Steven thrashes around in Riley’s hold, but her grip is too strong for him to accomplish anything. 

Riley tightens her hold until Steven stops moving. 

“I don’t want to kill him,” Riley adds as she sees she won’t be getting an answer anytime soon. “But I will. It’ll be a waste of a life, but one needs to get things done.”

Finally, Helen shows Riley another emotion. She smirks.

Alexander POV

Amy never showed up. I called, Kylie called, I think the whole world called and she didn’t once pick up. I have to admit, I’m worried. 

The week went by and Amy didn’t show up at school. Emily kept herself tight-lipped and didn’t say anything.

Yesterday I saw Emily and Kylie whispering harshly at one another, but when I asked them what was going on, they refused to say anything. Today is Friday. It’s been two weeks since I last saw Amy and yet, no news comes from her whereabouts. 

February is starting and with it comes the last few months of winter - I hope. I moved my whole gang from New York and yet I didn’t think to move somewhere warmer. 

“Yo!” Shawn exclaims as he comes running up to me. The bell rang only a few seconds ago, yet I’m in no hurry to get out. “You need to get out of your flunk. The project thingy for health ended and yet I still see you in a crabby mood. I thought you would be ecstatic?! Samantha will finally be off your back, you’re free again!”

My mind isn’t on Samantha though. Forget the blond, my mind is on the brunette with brown eyes who failed the project because Caleb the idiot is in no way father-worthy. 

She hasn’t been heard from in weeks. When she ignored us, she still went to school, but now she is nowhere to be found.

“Hey!” A smack to my arm brings me out of my thoughts. “Did you even hear a word that I just said?”

My shoulders shrug upwards. I’m no longer guilty for not paying attention, I’ve been zoning out these past two weeks. 

“I’m going to tell Riley about our,” He glances around before looking back at me. “About our job.”

“Okay.”

He stops. He stares at me, and I mean really stares at me. “Okay?”

“That’s what I said.”

“Okay, this is out of hand.” He takes out his phone and clicks on the screen before putting it up to his ear. 

“Kylie, this guy is literally broken! I just told him the news and you want to know what he said?! He said okay!”

Kylie murmurs something through the phone before hanging up. “She’s scheduling a fight for you tonight. You’ll be fighting against Rose again.”