~ 2 ~

"Lord Brun," the King stood with his hands folded behind his back as he spoke to the hologram. "We do not have time to waste. Are you certain this is the right choice?"

"Yes, my lord," Brun Emberhand replied, nodding with affirmation. "I believe the time has come. My messengers say there have been signs of Anaemis in the wastelands."

"My son shall be fully prepared. Beneath your tutelage, he has acquired the necessary skills."

"He is a bright young man, my lord."

Lord Brun glanced away from the hologram. His expression softened as he turned back to his king.

"If that is all you required," he began, but the King cut him off.

"You may go," he said, waving a dismissive hand. "It is not often you are home and I am sure your family has missed you."

Lord Brun nodded and the King waved the hologram away.

***

Aleia grumbled as her alarm sounded. She rolled over and tapped the snooze button just before pushing up onto her hands and knees. A dog barked from behind her.

"I know," she said, turning to look at Apollo who stood at the foot of her bed. "Go wake up Athena. I'll be right there."

Apollo went bounding out the door instantly. Aleia sighed and was about to head for the bathroom when her dad came knocking on the door.

"Good morning," he said with a cheery smile as he opened his arms wide. "Sleep well, honey?"

"Yeah," she replied, accepting the hug. "What's up? I was just gonna take the mondo-dogs on a walk."

"I'll do you one better. Pack up their stuff and get them in the car."

"Dog park?"

Peter smiled at his daughter, shaking his head.

"You'll see," he chuckled, turning to go out of the bedroom. "Wear pants that you don't mind wrecking, and sneakers. It's gonna get messy."

Aleia raised an eyebrow at her father's mischievous expression. He disappeared down the hall, leaving her lost in thought. She wondered what her dad might have up his sleeve. Normally when he was home, Peter would remain in his office to finalize whatever work was left before leaving on another business trip. However, Aleia was not about to complain. She hadn't spent much time with her father in quite a while.

She shrugged and hurried to change and freshen up. Whatever her dad had planned, she would find out soon enough.

Aleia's knees bounced together as she stared out the window of her dad's Escalade. The tinted windows prevented anyone outside from seeing the passengers, and she remembered pretending to be a secret agent whenever her dad brought her to school. That was when Aleia was younger. At seventeen years old, she was more than capable of taking herself places she needed to go. If she needed to be somewhere on time, Aleia would catch a ride with a classmate or the bus.

"So," Aleia said, turning in her seat to face her father. "Want to at least give me a hint to where we're going? And why are we bringing the dogs?"

"Have I ever told you what I do for a living?" her dad asked with his gaze on the road ahead. "What I really do, I mean."

"Communications and marketing consultant?"

"No..., hold on."

Peter turned the SUV onto the main highway, which made Aleia raise an eyebrow. Athena stuck her head forward from the back seat, panting with her tongue hanging out of her mouth.