~ 4 ~

"I think we should head to the kitchen," Auro spoke again, his amusement still apparent.

However, he sounded more gentle, more . . . What was it? Aleia couldn't bring herself to speak. She did feel exhausted. Her shoulders weighed as if there were a mammoth on them. Auro watched her for a moment, and his gaze softened.

"C'mon," he said, hooking her elbow in his hand. "Let's get you something to drink. You need some down time to process this."

Aleia didn't even have the strength to protest. She grew limp at Auro's side and let him lead her out of the office.

The office opened into a large corridor, so unlike the narrow hallways at the original office building. Though Aleia could hardly comprehend the sight, she couldn't believe what she was seeing. And before she could focus her gaze on bright colored walls and flashy clothed patrons, she noticed two very large dog-like animals. Both were a pale gray-brown color, although one had black patches on his hind-legs. They sat together, nipping and licking each other. When Auro whistled to them, they stood at nearly ten-feet tall. Amber eyes turned in their direction, and Aleia recognized the looks they gave her.

"Wh-what?" she stammered, placing herself behind Auro in terror. "What are those things?"

"Azris, Askan," Auro said in a gentle voice. "Your mistress will need time to process her surroundings . . . and your presence."

"Yes, my lord," the first beast replied, causing Aleia to gasp. "Will there be anything else you need from us?"

"No; you and your brother may relax, but remember to be on your guard. Lord Emberhand may send word soon."

The beast bowed her head, lowering her gaze to Aleia. She noticed a gentleness in the beast's eyes. Aleia then began to wonder where the dogs had gone as Auro pulled her away. Apollo would have definitely tried to challenge the huge animal. Athena would have fallen in suit, considering her constant alpha-like behaviors. She would want to make sure Apollo remembered that.

"Those are called Howlers," Auro explained, pulling her along. "Or more specifically, they are a species of Howler. They come from Onyx breeding."

"Uhum," was all Aleia could muster. Howlers? Onyx? She groaned, wanting to sit down. Auro noticed this and halted.

"Okay then," he muttered before addressing her. "Put your arms around my neck."

"N-no," she stammered, "I'm fine."

"You're not. You're turning pale . . . green, if you will."

"Green?"

Auro rolled his eyes and turned her towards a larged window, which seemed to have appeared out of nowhere. The glass was clean and clear, and Aleia's reflection stared back at her. Sure enough, her usually white skin appeared paler than normal, and hinted green. Puke green.

"Ugh!"

"Up you go," Auro whispered, placing his arm around her middle and the other beneath her knees.

Aleia's feet were off the ground and she held tightly to his neck for support. He held her close, as if she weighed nothing, looking down into her eyes.

"Let me take care of you," he said, turning away. "We're causing a bit of a scene . . . Welcome to Anerathia."

***

Auro watched his mother fret over Aleia with silent amusement. His introductions had been brief. Because the moment the Queen had seen the girl ready to faint, she took her away from him. He couldn't get the look in her eyes out of his mind. Bewildered at their surroundings. It was obvious Lord Brun had never brought his daughter to this world. Either way, she seemed to be taking everything better now.

"How is your head now, dear?" Auro's mother, Lorna, asked as she touched Aleia's forehead. "You're not warm anymore."

"I feel better," Aleia whispered, nodding slowly. "It's a lot to take in. And Auro, if my stepbrothers' dogs mess around-"

"They'll be fine," he brushed her off.

"You don't know what Apollo is like."

"Actually, I kind of do."

Aleia blinked in surprised and squinted. Auro smirked; if only she knew that Anerathia was the only place he allowed himself to be anything but who he was. Here in Anerathia, he could relax and though he still kept his guard up, he could be free. Yes, as a prince, he had responsibilities and all that came with the position. But here, he could escape. Aleia's world was indescribable, but there was something about his home-world that kept him from traveling with Lord Brun as often. Sure, he was curious about the other dimensions, but perhaps he was scared of seeing new things.

"So," Aleia said, her voice low and hesitant. "My dad is really a high society figure from another world?"

"Your father is one of the greatest advisors to this kingdom," Queen Lorna replied with a gentle smile. "He wanted to wait until you were eighteen before introducing you to Anerathia, but from what I have heard from my husband, he thinks you're ready."

"Ready for what?"

Auro's mother glanced at him as if hoping he might offer insight into the topic. He hesitated, but he knew he would have to say something eventually.

"Have you noticed any changes in yourself since turning seventeen?" he asked, sliding his hands back and forth. "You are seventeen, correct?"

"In a sense," Aleia replied, the corner of her mouth twitching. "Do I look seventeen?"

"Not seventeen."

Auro's dispassionate expression made her grow serious again. As out of place as she felt, Aleia thought a joke could lighten the mood. A common question she often asked her peers when questioned about her age. She appeared younger than she was, but on rare occasions, people often guessed her appropriate age.

"I suppose that means you've not manifested yet," Auro sighed, glancing away. "No issue there. Neither have I."

"Manifested?" Aleia raised an eyebrow as he looked back at her. "What do you mean by that?"

"Manifested your abilities," Lorna explained, flexing her hand. "You're father manifested the ability to throw flames when he was fifteen. I manifested at nineteen."

Light shot from her hand as she flicked her wrist. The beam floated above the Queen's palm, illuminating the room with a green light.

"What the heck?" Aleia said, awed by the sight.

Lorna flicked her wrist again, extinguishing the light.

"That's cool."

"One must be aware of the dangers in possessing abilities," the Queen explained, smiling. "It has taken me many years to master such a simple action. Without focus, people can get hurt."

Aleia nodded, but Auro could see in her eyes that she was now lost. She was intrigued, but definitely afraid. Just as anyone might be.

"You will learn as we go," Auro said, relaxing his stance. "For now, I must do as Lord Brun ordered and take you to the bunker. Mother, that is where we will be until he sends word."

Lorna frowned but nodded. Auro knew she did not like when he was away, which was part of the reason he preferred to be home. The bunker was only a day's trip away, in the mountains of Frose, hidden deep in the ice-capped peaks.

Auro's mind worked quickly as he paced, mentally preparing supplies and necessities. He would have to speak with his father about whom to take as guards. He would need maps and a guide. He had only been to the bunker once before, with Lord Brun. He didn't want to get lost on his first mission.

"Is father nearby?" Auro asked, looking at his mother. "I must speak with him."

"He should be in the throne room," Lorna replied with a soft sigh. "Do not linger too long. I would like to visit with you before you leave again."

Auro nodded and left without another word.