~ 16 ~

Lustris paced in her cell. Inanis stood watch with Spiris. Every so often, the girl would glance at them, then return to her pacing. Finally, she gave up pacing and sat on a stone slab, flicking her fingers to form a ball of light in her hand.

"Anaemis would be disappointed in you."

Spiris exchanged a look with Inanis before they approached the cell door.

"What do you know of our old captor?" they asked in unison.

"More than most realize," Lustris replied, causing the ball of light to flicker out. "When I said I was 'under influence', Anaemis had been controlling my mind. My actions were his and I was held captive. But never had I felt so free. He seeks the soul of the Spirit Queen."

"We know this," Spiris said, stepping away from the cell. "But we were nothing but a means to an end."

"I was not. He promised to make me queen. I will host the soul of Alessa."

Inanis stepped closer to the door, his gaze narrowing. "We won't be persuaded to let you go," he said, tilting his head ever slightly as the girl's face grew pale. "Allow me to demonstrate the skill I rarely used under Anaemis."

Lustris gasped and clutched her neck as the air began to escape her.

"Inanis," Spiris warned, "unless given order, you cannot take her life."

Life returned to Lustris' body as he yanked it from his brother's grasp. The girl coughed and fell to the ground as she caught her breath. Spiris took Inanis by the arm and led him away from the cell.

"Are you trying to be thrown in her position?" he whispered harshly.

"Did you forget whom it was that got us so close Anaemis?" Inanis whispered back. "It was I who wanted to turn against the house of Snowvale. And yet, your skills were used far more than mine. At what cost? Anaemis chose to keep you because he wished to resurrect the dead. I am merely the threat."

"And there is a reason why Emberhand chose to let you live. I think your skill will be used when the time is right, for just cause. Do you remember Glint?"

Inanis' dark eyes grew distant and sad. Spiris' tone softened.

"Glint was our best friend," he went on with a sigh. "You didn't know you would Manifest that day. Perhaps, had my skills been perfected, I could have saved her. But they weren't, and I do not blame you for what happened."

Tears fell from Inanis' eyes and he turned away from Spiris. He swallowed the lump in his throat before looking back at his brother. A gentle nod of his head was all he gave, but Spiris knew they had an understanding. The two would not turn on Lord Brun, not a second time.

***

Aleia slept in Auro's arms. They had since returned to be with the group, but they never left each other's side.

"Does she know yet?" Lumin asked; he sat across the room with a hand knife, clicking it open and closed.

"Part of it," Auro replied, playing with Aleia's hair. "Most of it."

"Meaning she's utterly clueless," Stratos joked, though he was serious.

"She's not clueless," Ruperto said, speaking up from his corner of the room, where he sat with Athena in dog form. "She's smart."

"I meant no harm by it. I meant that she does not know anything about the Prophecy. Auro needs to tell her sooner, rather than later."

Ruperto looked at the prince. His eyes did not accuse him of not telling Aleia. It was a look of respect.

"You don't want it to be rushed," he said as he stood and walked towards Auro. "You want her to like you for you, not the Prophecy. And vice versa."

"Yes," Auro replied with affirmation.

"Okay . . . Hurt her, I'll wring your neck. Prince or not."

The prince grinned, "You have my word. Nothing will happen to her, not by my hand. She worried about you. Before you came here."

"She did?" This took Ruperto by surprise.

"We were just starting the journey," Auro explained, motioning for his new friend to sit. "She was far away in her mind and she said she was worried about you. That your mother mistreats you at times."

Ruperto closed his eyes and sighed. When he opened them, he started rubbing away at the powder he'd used to cover his bruised eye.

"Aleia never spoke up," he said, shrugging. "But I know she was aware of it. I guess she didn't know if I wanted her to say something."

The group fell silent, watching the sleeping girl in question.

***

Aleia gasped in awe. She was in the forest again. Lovely green trees that shown with gold in the reflection of the sunlight. The Spirit Queen's place of refuge. Her sanctuary. How had Aleia appeared here again?

"Aleia." A voice, smooth as silk, spoke out of the silence. Aleia looked around, seeking the owner of the voice.

"Who said that?" she asked when she couldn't see anyone.

"I believe you know well who I am," the voice replied. "But for the sake of making things simple, I shall tell you. I am Alessa, Queen of Anerathia and the Aemienix."

Out of the woods stepped a tall, beautiful woman. She wore a toga dress that hung loosely from her shoulders. And her brown hair curled at the ends and cascaded down her back like a veil.

"I have brought you here for a reason," the Queen went on, walking with light steps towards Aleia. "There are people who would wish to use my throne for Evil. You know this. Try as they might, my soul cannot be found. When I see someone fit to host me, I go to them. You, my dear Aleia, show great promise and I do not see anyone better as a host."

"Host?" Aleia squeaked, stumbling as she tried to stand. "You want me to be your host?"

"Better you than Anaemis," she replied, smiling thoughtfully. "He has tried and failed one too many times. Though he can hear my call, as you certainly have, I will never let him find me. He draws near every hour and there is no more I can do to hide. You've manifested with the Mark of the Red Flower. Powers of Elemental Fire, just like your mother before you. And you've got a strong counterpart to stabilize that power, should you lose control of it."

"But why me?" the girl asked, still quite in awe. "I'm no one."

"Your father did right to keep you humble. But I say to you, Aleia, Daughter of Emberhand, you are far from being no one. You are the future of Anerathia."

Aleia froze. The Queen smiled and stepped closer. She touched the girl's cheek tenderly. Motherly.

"You are strong," she said, taking Aleia's hands into her own. "I know you will do well with my soul within. Remember, it is not I who controls you, but your heart. Follow your heart, and all will be well. Do you accept as my Host, my daughter?"

Though she was still wary, something changed in Aleia's being. A need stirred from within to be rid of the Evil that lurked. A need to find Auro and her father, to tell them what she now knew.

"Will I know what to do?" Aleia asked, standing taller, bolder.

"You will have all the knowledge I have to offer," the Queen replied, nodding. "Everything you need to know, I will share with you."

"And I will still be in control?"

"You will be as you are now, with more wisdom of your new home."

"How do we find you?"

The Spirit Queen smiled. This was what she had been seeking in a Host.