~ 7 ~

Auro lay awake in his bed, looking up through the special window to see the stars. He couldn't get Aleia out of his mind. Not just that she was beautiful - because she was - but also because from here on out, she would be his top priority. Nothing would stop him from using his dagger to defend her, should peril come their way. He did not care that he was a prince. He would put his life in danger's way, if it meant Aleia would be protected.

***

The following morning, Auro arose from his bed and quickly changed back into the clothes he'd worn the night before. Once his boots were on his feet, he went to Flayke's perch at the corner of his room, and attached her line. He whistled, and she hopped to his shoulder. He secured her talons with a short chain and covered her eyes with a mask. After this, Auro took a short glance in the mirror. He sighed; he would be traveling with three of his childhood companions. No doubt they would be interested in Aleia. However, they would have to set their sights elsewhere.

Auro walked out of his room and the short distance to Aleia's quarters down the hall. The door was ajar and the sound of laughter came from inside. He poked his head in and saw that Aleia was awake, dressed and playing with the Howlers in their Earth-form. Auro smiled when he noticed she was talking to Azris about how annoying Askan could be when he was testing her.

"That's why you always nipped at him when I scolded him," Aleia said in realization. "You were scolding him too!"

"I was," Azris replied, sending a wide glare at her brother. "Askan just likes to rattle you up."

"What about my stepbrothers? Will you not return to them after this?"

"I would return for Ruperto's sake. And you should know that he thinks very highly of you."

Aleia nodded with a solemn expression. A look of mutual understanding passed between the two and Auro wondered what it meant. He knew little of the girl he so often heard about from Lord Brun. He heard little of his other family though. Nothing about his wife or her sons. Not wanting to delay any longer, Auro stepped away from the door and knocked. His heart jumped when he heard the footsteps coming towards him.

"Oh!" Aleia said with a smile when she swung the door open. "Good morning, Auro."

"Good morning," he replies, nodding his head low. "Did you sleep well?"

"The bed was so comfy! Much better than my bed at home. And I'm used to sharing with Ath-Azris and Askan. Sheesh, it's going to take some time learning their real names."

"You may call us whatever you wish," Askan said, trotting over with a wagging tail. "You are our mistress."

Aleia smiled at the Guardian and scratched his ear. She turned her smile to Auro, he swore his heart stammered. He did not mentally scold himself for the sensation. He welcomed it. The day before, he hadn't been thinking much of anything other than his orders from Lord Brun.

"We should hurry to the kitchens," Auro said, clearing his throat. "We will leave as soon as we've eaten."

Aleia nodded and turned to retrieve the pack from the floor nearby.

"Someone brought this by a short while ago," she said, holding it up for him to see. "Said I would need it for our journey."

"You will," he replied, nodding with approval. "Because you will be carrying a few personal items, water canteen . . ."

He trailed off, as words seemed to fail him. Aleia began to blush, lowering her gaze as she slung the pack onto her shoulders. Auro stepped aside and motioned for her to go first. Azris shot him a look. He shook his head and led the way through the hallways.

Aleia bit her lip as she watched Auro give instructions to the cooks and servants. Yes, there were servants. But they were treated with the utmost respect, as equals. Which was what Auro had told her when the butler called him 'Prince'. And every so often, Auro would send a glance her way. It caused her insides to flutter and she wondered if she should allow such nonsense. He's a prince, she thought to herself. In her mind, it was highly unlikely he would ever consider her for anything. As far as she could tell, he was merely doing her father a favor by protecting her.

"Here we are," Auro said, sitting beside her as he set two bowls before them. "We will eat something more, but this is an equivalent to porridge on Earth."

"Would you say Anerathia is not as modern as Earth?" Aleia asked, admiring the brass spoon. "Like, I haven't seen anything that resembles technology, aside of the portal in my dad's office closet. That is a portal, right?"

"Yes, it was a portal. And we do have modern technology. We just don't use it as obsessively as Earth does."

"So, that means we're taking something for transportation, and not walking, right?"

Aleia took a small bite of the porridge, liking the taste. Auro watched her with a smirk.

"We will be taking a mountain truck," he explained, taking several bites from his bowl in between. "It's one your father transported here some time ago. Our scientists studied and replicated the machine, producing one every Earth year along with many variations to accommodate our world."

"You can transport objects between worlds?" Aleia asked, her eyes lit up with interest. "Well, obviously, people are objects, but you know what I mean."

Auro cracked a smile, and it took her breath away. He hadn't really been smiling since they'd arrived, but Aleia had caught small glimpses. She wondered if he smiled more when she was not around, or perhaps if he didn't smile at all. His smirk didn't count, as amused as it seemed.

"I see you haven't left yet."

The moment was broken as Lusie joined them at the table. She crossed her arms, her gaze solely focused on Auro.

"We were eating breakfast," Auro said, his jaw tightening. "And no, I'll not change my mind about your brother coming and not you."

Lusie pouted, "Auro," she said with a bit of a whine.

"Don't," he shook his head, closing his eyes. "If my memory serves me right, you were the one who walked away. A year ago. Since then, I've moved forward. I do not want you on this journey, because it will create conflict at every turn. And it will distract me from my main purpose."

When Auro opened his eyes again, they did not look jade. They were lavender-gray. Aleia was not the only one to notice the change, because Lusie took a sharp breath.

"Am I clear, Lustris?" Auro asked in a low voice.

"Violently clear," she replied, pushing away from the table and stomping away.

Aleia didn't watch her for long. She turned her gaze back to Auro as he closed his eyes once more. When they opened, they were back to their original shade of brilliant green. And Auro appeared calmer. Relieved even.

"Your eyes," Aleia began, unsure how he would react.

"They changed color?" Auro asked, peering at her with a gentle gaze. "What color were they?"

"It was like they were gray and violet or dark lavender," she replied slowly. "Or like the color of an amethyst stone. That's best I can describe them."

He nodded, "Seems about right. It's not the first time they've changed color. Whenever I am frustrated or angry, they usually change to crimson or scarlet red. I don't know why they do that."

Aleia's interest in Auro grew. What else would she learn about him? Would they become friends and not just protector/protected? She certainly hoped so.