~ 12 ~

When Auro saw the emblem in Aleia's palm, he couldn't believe his eyes.

"That's the mark of the Spirit Queen," he said, turning his gaze to the girl at his side. "Why would you have that mark?"

"As if I'd know," Aleia replied with a huff, but still in awe. "Only my dad can give us the answers we need."

"And I shall."

Auro and Aleia looked to the cave entrance, as did their companions. Standing there were five figures, of which three Aleia recognized to be her father and her two stepbrothers. She did not know whom the other two were, but behind them were the Howlers. So that is where they went.

"Dad!" Aleia shouted, jumping to her feet and rushing to his waiting arms. Then, without truly thinking about it, she grabbed Ruperto into a tight squeeze. He didn't appear fazed. In fact, his arms circled her and he hugged her back.

"Are you okay?" she asked, lowering her voice. "Is this weird?"

"It's something to get used to," Ruperto replied as they parted. "And I'll be okay."

"You've got a black eye . . . was that . . . you know?"

"It was, but it's okay."

Ruperto patted her head with a sad smile. Aleia then turned to Ronell, but he wore an expression of disgust.

"Don't even try it," he said, shaking his head and taking a step back. "I'm not getting all mushy with you, brat."

"Bro," Ruperto admonished his brother and punched his shoulder. "Don't call her that."

Aleia smiled inwardly. There was a friendship budding with Ruperto. He just hadn't let it out yet.

"Who are they?" she asked, nodding her chin at the two young men behind them.

"We'll get to them in a moment," her father replied, waving a dismissive hand. "You've started your manifestation process, I take it."

He reached for her hand, turning her left palm upward. He ran a thumb over the surface, smiling with pride.

"It was only a matter of time. This, as Auro has just said, is the mark of the Spirit Queen. Aleia, the Spirit Queen is calling to you."

"Say what now?" she said which made Auro chuckle; he was now standing beside her. "Is that why I dreamed of the Goowrark forest?"

Aleia's father blinked and glanced at Auro, who nodded vigorously.

"Spirit Queen 1-0-1," said Lord Emberhand, placing his hands on Aleia's shoulders. "Queen Alessa ruled over Anerathia until the Great War when she vanished. Historians believe she fled to her homeland, which is found just beyond the Goowrark forest. She could forge fire. Few Elements who possess the ability to forge fire manifest with the Queen's mark. There hasn't been a Marked Fire-Forger since your mother, Aleia."

Aleia's mouth fell open. They hadn't spoken of her mother in years. At times, she forgot her mother ever existed. She'd only thought of her when Auro's mother spoke of when she might manifest her abilities.

"Mom?" she whispered as tears formed in her eyes. "Mom was a Fire-Forger? She was from here?"

"She was," her dad replied, nodding. "And . . . She fled to Earth to keep you safe from the War."

"But the War was long before any of us were born," Auro said, confused as he hugged Aleia's shoulder. "And long before you, even."

He grew even more confused when his mentor chuckled.