~ 22 ~

"What happens now?" Aleia asked as she looked herself over. "I don't look or feel any different."

"Me neither," Auro replied, looking at his hands. "But I do feel as if I know my abilities better."

"Guard each other for life," Bearlord said with a stern gaze on the young pair. "Your souls are now mingled with that of Alessa and Utmjir. If death comes to you, their souls would be released and forced to find a new Host."

"Which would mean whoever is near us," Aleia said, letting out a breath. "I thought the Queen would be able to speak to me still."

"You will hear her thoughts in your mind. When you are puzzled and trying to think of a solution, Alessa's knowledge will carry into your being. She will help you. The same will happen for you, Prince. Utmjir's soul will guide you when trouble finds you."

Bearlord looked between the two and sighed.

"I must leave you now," he went on, turning his gaze to the treetops as the winds picked up. "My time is long passed . . . and with no one to Host my soul, I must fade."

"Don't go," Aleia whispered, shaking her head vigorously. "There has to be someone willing to Host you, somewhere."

"I'm afraid now, dear one. My destiny is not as such."

As he said this, Bearlord faded. His being became small particles of shining dust. And blew away in the breeze. Aleia's shoulders slumped and she lowered to the ground, staring at where Bearlord had been standing. Auro lowered next to her and slipped his arm around her.

"It's alright," he whispered, rubbing her arm. "He knew."

"He was nice," Aleia replied, sighing. "So, we're Hosting souls of ancient Anerathian royalty. We should head back to the palace. We have to talk with your parents and make plans of action."

"How are we getting back without a portal?"

This made Aleia smile and she pulled away from Auro to stand up.

"Arcano gave me a device that can call him when we're ready to come back," she explained as she pulled a small, silver sphere out of her jacket pocket. "All I have to do is press this little button, it will send a signal to him and he'll portal us to wherever he is."

Auro smiled, "Then let's go," he said, standing and reaching for her. "Do I need to hold on to you while we do this?"

"No protests from me."

The two took hands and held tight as Aleia raised the sphere to the sky. She sighed and glanced around at the forest.

You will see Goowrark again, a voice in her mind told her.

Aleia smiled and pressed the button.

***

"Does anyone hear a ringing in their ears?" Ronell asked, wiggling a finger in his ear as if it would clear the passage.

Ruperto, Inanis and Spiris froze and listened. Lumin, Soile, and Stratos were entering the room right then, and they also froze.

"Yeah," Ruperto said, turning his head side to side. "It gets louder when I turn to my left."

"It's a Warlock Call," Lumin explained as he moved to where the sound grew louder in his head.

"In here!"

Aeros and Aurora came running into the room with Arcano behind them. He held a small sphere that was glowing.

"Aleia and Auro are ready to come back," he said, waving his fingers over the sphere and turning towards the blank wall. "And the portal channel is right here."

Arcano snapped his fingers, opening a portal in the wall. He and his companions gasped when they saw the image before them. A forest of gold. Auro and Aleia appeared and stepped through.

"Whoa, everyone's here," Aleia said as she leaned over and panted for breath. "Auro?"

She glanced at him but fainted as he glanced back. Arcano caught Auro as the portal closed. Ruperto and Soile caught Aleia, and gently laid him on the floor.

"Are they okay?" Ruperto asked, staring down at his stepsister.

"They're just exhausted," Spiris said as he kneeled next to Auro. "Best to let them rest naturally."

"Oh, don't tell me you can wake them up," Ronell said, rolling his eyes.

"No, but Arcano can. Perks to being a warlock."

It did not take long for the group to bring the pair to a bed. But it did not take long for them to awaken again.

"Whoa!" Aleia said as she sat up and glanced around the room. "What happened?"

"You passed out," Ruperto replied, "as soon as you were through the portal."

"Yeah, um . . ." she looked at everyone and then at Auro who was just starting to sit up. "Auro, how you feelin'?"

"Good to go," he said, rolling his shoulders. "Must be an after-effect of coming and going to Goowrark. What's next?"

"We need a Telekinetic . . . Um no, that's not right."

"Hate to break up your brainstorming," Ronell interrupted, crossing his arms. "But I think you should jump to the part where you tell us if the plan was a success."

"Oh right," Aleia rolled her eyes and got off the bed, marching straight for her stepbrother. "The journey was a perfect success and I now Host the soul of the Spirit Queen. So you are now supposed to bow to me. To your knees, Ronell."

Ronell stared at her as if she were an alien. He glanced around, and when his gaze fell on Auro, he gulped.

"Bow to her now," Auro said, smooth and slow.

There was no anger in his voice, but something about his low tone made Ronell not want to go against him. Slowly, without breaking eye contact with the prince, Ronell lowered to his knees.

"Lower," Aleia said, her voice strong and authoritative. "According to the law of Anerathia and the Aemienix, and because we are within such realm . . . you are now required to a lifetime of servitude to me. Punishment for teasing me."

Ronell grumbled, but he lowered to the floor until his nose was pressed against the hard, cool surface. He waited and waited. Then, the sound of snickers filled the room. It grew louder and then multiplied. Soon, the curiosity got the better of him and he raised his head. Everyone in the room was laughing at him.

"It worked!" Aleia said, laughing as Auro squeezed her. "Everyone heard me, but not him!"

Ronell jumped to his feet and glanced around. Ruperto was red in the face, bent over from laughing.

"You little . . ." he couldn't the words, but he somehow found himself laughing as well. "Was I a guinea pig just now?"

"You were," Aleia replies, shrugging as the laughter died down. "I had to test this new . . . ability. Comes with acquiring the soul of a great Queen. But onto my original thought. We have to find someone with the power of the mind. I just don't know what you would call that here. In sci-fi, I think it's Kinetic or Telekinetic . . ."

"I know who you need," Inanis spoke, looking Aleia in the eye.

"Will you take me to them?" she asked, looking back at him.

"Yes."