~ 13 ~

Anaemis growled, smashing the cups from the table and sending them to the floor. He was frustrated. Just when he thought he could find the Spirit Queen, her soul stopped calling to him. It was as if she had found someone else and vanished completely. There was no way she could vanish. Her soul called to him!

"I shall find you, my Queen," he muttered, clenching his fist between his teeth. "And when I do, we shall rule!"

He rammed his fist to the table once more.

***

"Repeat that to me, one more time," Aleia said, holding her hand next to her ear, as if it would help her hear better, though it was meant in a sarcastic matter. "I'm what?"

"An animal whisperer," Ronell said, cupping his hands around his mouth with a loud-whisper.

"I'm guessing the Howlers have not revealed their identities to you," Auro said, rolling his eyes at Aleia's foolish step-brother. "You should watch what you say to people who can forge fire."

He gave Aleia a look that told her not to think of creating flames. In the last several hours, there had been many mishaps where someone in the group almost got burned. It'd not been intentional, but it was whenever Aleia thought of flames.

"Yeah, about that," Aleia said, biting her lip between her teeth. "Auro, would you put out my arm."

She raised her arm for him to see, and he shook his head.

"This will get old fast," he muttered, putting his crystal-palm to the flame and extinguishing it. "At least you're not burning your skin. I cannot say the same for your clothes."

There was a gentle smirk playing at his lip. Auro slid his arm around Aleia's shoulders and pulled her to his side. She blushed and leaned into him. Her breath came out in puffs.

"How much further?" Solie asked as he and Stratos came to stand near the pair.

"We should be there," Auro replied, looking around and then at his mentor. "Lord Brun, shouldn't we be there by now?"

Aleia's father turned from where he stood, at the end of the snow-covered path. Beside him were the Twins, the Rogues, Ruperto and Lumin. He had been gazing at their surroundings as if contemplating their next move.

"Indeed we should," he said, setting his gaze upon the Prince. While saying this, the man raised his hands. Red, yellow and orange flames rose from the ground, melting the white fluff into puddles. The wind howled as it blew around them. Everyone had to close their eyes to block the. The Howlers shuddered. Bones cracked and readjusted as they changed forms. They howled before bounding off.

Lord Brun dropped his hands. The wind stopped. Heads slowly raised and eyes opened. Auro, still holding tight to Aleia, was the first to realize what his teacher had done.

"Why didn't you just do that when you found us?" he asked with slight exasperation.

Aleia peeked one eye open and gasped.

All around them were giant stone walls that looked like ice. Gray and blue, sentinels stood watch everywhere one looked. They were statues, but there was something lifelike about them as well. The floors were blanketed in snow, when seemed to flow gently down from the open roof. There were circle windows, glass with wooden frames. And despite the furnishings being not so inviting, the room itself was quite cozy.

"Make yourselves at home," Aleia's father announced as he removed his coat and hung it on a rack. Everyone then took off their coats and stretched their arms. When Aleia's hands were free, Auro took them in his and led her towards the library. From the top shelf, he pulled out a leather-bound journal. It was a lovely shade of green, which reminded Aleia of Auro's eyes.

"This tells the history of the Spirit Queen," Auro explained, turning through the pages while walking towards a nearby table. "However vague or little, it's quite a tale."

The pair sat together and Auro began explaining a little more of the Spirit Queen to Aleia. And listening intently, she smiled at how animated he became.

Brun Emberhand smiled at the look on his daughter's face. There was no doubt in his mind what that expression entailed. The plan was set in motion. Everything was falling to place. Even with Anaemis' attack, time was on their side.

"Lord Brun," Spiris approached with a thoughtful expression and his hands behind his back. "Why did you choose to let my brother and I side with you? Why are you trusting us?"

"Because," he replied, giving the young man a kind look. "There are qualities in you that can be used for good. Anaemis wanted you for his gain. That would not have been fair for either of you. You might've turned on him eventually."

"Right place, right time?" Inanis asked as he came to stand next to his brother. "There's no telling what that monster might have done to us if something did not go his way."

Emberhand looked at the two. He knew he had made the right choice to bring them. Because Inanis was right: There was no telling what Anaemis would have done to them.

***

Anaemis stood with his eyes closed. Listening to the wind. He could hear her. She had stopped calling to him, but he still heard her. Something was changing in her call. Instead of crying out, she was whispering. Whispering to someone of her blood. Was he not her blood?

"I will find you, my Queen," Anaemis said as his eyes opened. They flared red. His new henchmen cheered as he threw his hands up. They had been waiting for him to give them orders.

"We march!" Anaemis cried, holding his staff in both hands. "Anerathia is ours for the taking!"

***

"Auro," Aleia said as she set the journal down in front of her. "Can I ask you something?"

"Hmm," he hummed, not looking up from the book he was reading.

"If it's too personal to answer, it's fine . . . What happened between you and Lusie?"

Auro glanced at her. His green eyes were soft. Wrinkled at the corners from the smiles he'd been sharing with her. He lowered the book he'd been holding in front of his face.

"Do you really want to know about that?" he asked slowly.

"I do," Aleia replied, nodding. "I've gathered little pieces, and that should have been enough. But I'm still curious."

Auro sighed, resolved as he closed his book and turned his chair facing her. Aleia rotated her chair and folded her hands into her lap. Auro chuckled at the intent look on her face. He nodded and looked down at his own hands, wondering if this would change anything.