~ 9 ~

Peter, Lord Brun Emberhand, sighed as he examined the damage of his office building. Anaemis had escaped. However, the twins he'd brought along lay unconscious at Brun's feet. Lord Brun was very impressed with their skills. It was an interesting tactic on Anaemis' part. The ability to give Life and Death under his control. If they were willing, he could mold them into instruments for Good. They reminded him of his stepsons. A thought crossed his mind. Immediately, he knew what could be done for both his stepsons and the skilled twins. All he needed was another portal to Anerathia. That, and to convince his stepsons to come on a trip.

***

As Auro stopped the truck at the Mountains of Flore. Apparently, they would have to hike their way over the mountains, which would take them at least two days considering the distance. The peaks of the mountains were so far up that Aleia thought they were touching the clouds, or even beyond.

"Why are they called the 'Mountains of Flore'?" Aleia asked as Auro adjusted her pack's straps.

"It was named at random," he replied, shrugging. "No one truly knows why they are called that. The Frose Mountains are a different story."

"Oh, I figured that one out. Frose . . . frozen. Ice, snow, blah-blah-blah."

Auro smirked, "You're smarter than people give you credit for . . . Stay near me. If anyone gets passed Stratos, Soile or Lumin, I'm the one who's protecting you most. You understand."

She nodded, "I won't be trouble if that's what you mean."

"I know you won't. I just want you to be clear that you're in danger. Your father entrusted your life in my hands."

"And he must trust you more than anyone if he did."

Auro nodded contemplatively. He gave Aleia's pack straps a final tug, making sure they were tight enough. And then face their companions. He explained, in little detail, the route they would be hiking. Stratos, Soile and Lumin nodded.

"Soile will take point position until we run out of daylight," Auro said, motioning to his copper-haired friend. "Then, Lumin will take lead and, hopefully, keep us from falling off the edge until we make camp. Stratos will rotate positions with whoever is not at the front, and watch from the rear. Askan will be near whoever leads. Azris with whoever covers the rear."

"Works for me," Stratos nodded and adjusted the tie that held his long, blond hair. "You want to cover as much ground possible before making camp, am I right?"

"Yes; the less we doddle, the better."

With that, Auro took Aleia's hand, motioning for Soile to start forward. None of the young men seemed to care the prince held her hand, but Aleia didn't know what to do about the sudden tingling sensation in her arm. She wondered if he felt it too. He must have because he moved his hand to her shoulder. Aleia's heart pounded in her chest. This had never happened to her before. But then, she remembered that Auro had been with Lusie. He probably didn't feel anything at all.

***

Peter entered his home and stood next to the dinner table. Not a single sound stirred the quiet home. However, one of the people he intended on finding stood with the fridge open as he drank directly from the milk jug.

"Ruperto," Peter said, walking towards his stepson. "I was going to go bowling tonight with some colleagues from work. I wondered if you and your brother would like to join us."

"Weren't you hanging out with Aleia today?" he asked, shock and confusion crossing his features.

"Believe it or not, she bailed to hang out with a guy."

Ruperto blinked in surprised. Aleia, hanging out with a guy over her dad who she rarely saw? It couldn't possibly.

"Does she have the dogs too?" Ruperto asked, closing the milk and returning it to the fridge shelf.

"She does," Peter replied with a gentle nod. "But I was going to pick them up after bowling. So, what do you say? Bowling?"

Ruperto turned and it was then that Peter could really see his face. He had a black bruise around his eye, and a red mark on his left cheek.

"What happened to your face?" Peter asked with caution. "Did Susanna do that to you?"

Ruperto didn't reply, which only confirmed it, but he did reply about going out with his stepdad.

"I'd like to go bowling," he said in a low voice. "Anything is better than being at home on a Saturday afternoon."

"Great! Where's Ronell?"

"Probably his room."

Peter nodded and stepped around the table, crossing his arms as he looked at the young man.

"If your mother hits you again, I want you to tell me," he said, making Ruperto look at him in the eye. "She shouldn't be treating you that way."

Ruperto nodded, rubbing his bruised cheek.

"Go get changed, we leave in fifteen."

Peter gave him a pat on the shoulder and disappeared. Probably to find Ronell. Ruperto stood and thought about his mother. As much as he wanted to love her, he didn't understand why she would raise Ronell on a pedestal. What did his brother have that he didn't?

***

Anaemis growled in frustration. He had managed to escape Emberhand. Barely. With his best Elementals now being held captive, Anaemis would have to work double time to find replacements. Without Elementals, he would not accomplish his plan. Even in the Plains of Mortorna, he could sense his great Queen. She was calling to him. Or rather she was calling to anyone who would hear her cry. But Anaemis heard her. He would find her. And he would help her regain her throne and her kingdom. Anerathia would soon be in the proper hands again.

***

Auro kept his gaze forward as he hiked up the steep hill. The path, long integrated into the ground, curved and moved with the natural shape of the mountain. Aleia hiked beside him, keeping with his pace perfectly. Not once did she complain. Auro's mind wandered to earlier in the morning when he had taken her hand in his. He wanted to badly to do it again. To feel the electric shock that passed through them. He knew it was bound to happen. He just hadn't expected it to happen so soon.

"You seem deep in thought," Aleia said with a skip in her step.

"Yeah," he replied, shrugging. "I do that a lot."

"And I talk to my brothers' dogs when I'm lost in my head. Wanna talk about it?"

He sent a smirk in her direction. She blushed and looked away, her brown ponytail bouncing in time with her pace. It made Auro chuckle.

"You're adorable," he said, nudging her shoulder.

Be playful, he thought to himself when she offered a smile. You want her to trust you. Not hate you.

"Why am I adorable?" Aleia asked, her cheeks flushed. "Why that word in particular?"

"It's your innocence," Auro replied, looking into her eyes. "It's refreshing."

Saying this, he slid his arm around her shoulders and gave them a gentle squeeze. And like he'd felt earlier, an electric current coursing through him. And to think he thought he'd never feel this way again.