~ 53 ~

"I think a ball would be wonderful," Auro said with some reluctance

"Oh, c'mon! You can be a little more enthusiastic than that."

He closed his eyes, trying to stop the smile from tugging at his mouth.

"A ball would be fantastic," he went on, smiling at his parents. "So long as we do not limit the guest list to the courtiers. I think the kingdom's people should enjoy the celebration as well."

"Celebration of of the war ending, you mean?" his mother asked with a tender smile.

Auro nodded and sighed. He waited, hoping to hear the lovely voice in his head again. But none came.

"I'll give the announcement," the King said, patting his son's shoulder. "And the herald will bring the invitation to the people. Might I ask why this change of heart?"

"I guess I feel the need to learn how to let life flow," the Prince replied, shrugging. "And the need to not force my anguish on others when we have reason to celebrate."

The King and Queen embraced their son. Once released, Auro went to his favorite courtyard.

***

Preparations for the ball took five days of planning. The servants bustled about with joyous smiles and cheerful laughter. Some of them hadn't helped prepare for a ball in nearly five years. Such events were treasured by all. And on this particular occasion, it would be an event of which was written in the Records of the Historians.

Queen Lorna smiled at her son, who was currently standing in front of a very large mirror. The tailor worked fervently at the prince's new coat. It was linked to a very long cape. It was blue and gold, velvet and silk with white trim. The only people to ever wear such a wonderful garment were that of the Royal family.

"So grown up," said the Queen as Auro turned for her approval.

"I don't think we've ever ordered such a robe," he said, laughing in realization. "Mother, has my father mentioned anything about looking for Aleia?"

"He has," she replies, dismissing the tailor to speak with her son in private. "Son, your father knows how important her safety is to you. Which is why, when the festivities have ceased, he will head the search party. No one will rest until she is found."

Auro nodded, "I see . . . And my participation in the search is definite, correct? Because I won't sit back and let others search for her when it was always my charge."

"Your father knows and understands this, my son. But I plead with you, try not burden yourself with unnecessary guilt. Anaemis was an unpredictable sort of man. He managed to take Aleia into that portal with him so fast. Auro, it was not your fault."

The prince sighed and nodded his head before letting it hang low.

"I am trying to rid myself of the guilt," he whispered; the queen drew near to rest her hands on his shoulders. "And while I do feel better about all of it, I am still condemned by my thoughts . . . I feel as though I might've had a chance to avoid her being taken."

Lorna sighed and embraced her son. A moment later, she resummoned the tailor so he could resume his task.

***

The grand ball had commenced. There music and laughter, a feast unlike anyone had ever seen. Ronell and Ruperto glanced at each other, grinning in shock and awe.

"This is amazing," Ruperto said, laughing as he slapped his brother's shoulder. "I don't think prom could beat this."

"I don't think so either," Ronell replied, sighing. "I also don't think we'll ever enjoy anything from our world ever again . . . Aleia should be here."

"Master," said Askan as he stood next to him in his Earth form. "You must enjoy the festivity. That is the purpose of this celebration. Such matters will keep for later."

"The Howler is right."

The brothers turned to see Inanis approaching. It was strange to see him wearing something other than his black hooded cloak and black leather pants. He was dressed in similar attire to the rest of the guests; a loose, white shirt with long sleeves and pants that seemed a lot like sweatpants. Which Ronell and Ruperto often wore back on Earth. With Inanis was Kinasha. The girl seemed different too. Her long, light hair was braided and draped over her shoulder, and she was smiling. That was a massive difference from girl Ronel and Ruperto had first met.

"Has the prince been announced yet?" Inanis asked as he and Kinasha looked around the ballroom.

"Not yet," Ruperto replied, shaking his head. "But I think it will be soon."

There was then a loud, authoritative voice that filled the room. Everyone turned to a large staircase, which linked to a high balcony. The King stood there with his hands in the air. He waited for the great crowds to silence before speaking.

"My dear people of Anerathia," he said as the Queen took his arm. "And precious guests from beyond, in Drethia and Drischire. You are welcome here to this celebration of victory. But this is also a time of mourning. Please, let us not forget those of which were fallen in battle. They that were lost to us are now walking the Golden Halls. And now, it is with the greatest of pleasures that I introduce you to my son. Prince Auro of Snowvale!"