~ 60 ~

Aleia's heart pounded in her chest

Aleia's heart pounded in her chest. The sound of applause rang in her ears. The flashing of lights reflecting from every which way. They had cameras in Anerathia. Who'd have thunk, right? Aleia was walking down a long, gold carpet, like a celebrity. It was fascinating.

"Princess Aleia!"

"Over here, Princess!"

"Flash us a smile, Princess!"

She felt overwhelmed, but she did her best not to show it. Aleia smiled and posed. She twirled, and smiled and posed some more. She was accompanied by a selection of personal guards. And then Auro was there. His arms were around her. Protectively. Affectionately.

"You were born for this," he whispered as they flashed a smile for yet another camera.

"They keep calling me 'Princess'," she whispered back. "I haven't married you yet. And you haven't been crowned king yet. So they can't call me 'Queen', can they?"

He chuckled and tugged her to the entrance of the ballroom.

"You are the daughter of a queen," Auro said, bringing her to the center of the room. "So, yes. You are a princess. Or did you forget that is what you told your stepmother?"

"You weren't there."

"Your brothers told me."

Aleia giggled as he pulled her to him and ordered a song to be played for their dance. Soon, many other couples were joining them. Inanis and Kinasha were the first to join the dance, which made Aleia grin. She hadn't seen the pair dance before. Not even at the ball, when she returned from meeting her mother.

"I really like this dance," Aleia said as Auro turned her in a wide circle. "Does it have a name here?"

"It's a simple three-step," he replied, shrugging as he pulled her back to him.

"A waltz?"

"I suppose, yes. An Anerathian version of a waltz."

Auro talked her through the first steps of the dance until she got the hang of it. Soon, they were joined by other couples and pairs, among which were Inanis and Kinasha. Aleia smiled at the way Inanis was looking at Kinasha.

"You are extremely romantic," Auro pointed out with a chuckle.

"I never said I wasn't," she countered with a smirk. "So, I had another question about the coming future."

He sighed, "What is your question?"

"Why are you sighing?"

A smile crept across Auro's face. "Ask your question, Princess."

Aleia rolled her eyes. "I was wondering if you thought over what kind of king you will be. Like, what are some of the things you feel your father hasn't done that you want to do for the kingdom?"

She watched his thoughtful gaze, his hand at her back pulling her closer.

"I haven't thought about it, no," Auro replied after a pause, shrugging his shoulders. "But perhaps it's time that I do. I know my father will be there to offer guidance and advice, but knowing what kind of king I wish to be is important."

Aleia smiled, "Think about it and when you have an idea, talk to me about it. I would love to help you become that king."

The prince smiled, "Thank you."

"Whispers between the royal pair," said Lumin as he and Aurora appeared beside them. "What secrets do they share?"

"Many and not any," Auro replied, grinning at his friend. "What of you? What brings you to our section of the dancefloor?"

"Lumin is in a very teasing mood," Aurora explained, laughing.

She and Lumin then shared a look. Aleia and Auro then shared a similar look.

"I am freaking loving the parties!" said Ronell as he appeared beside them.

"He's drunk," Ruperto explained as he, too, joined the group. "I've never seen him like this, so don't take anything he does or says an offense, please."

Everyone laughed; Ronell seemed to be oblivious to his surroundings, but Aleia was pleased he was enjoying himself to the fullest.

"Come with me," Auro whispered, taking Aleia's hand as he led her away.

"Where are we going?" she asked with a soft giggle.

"Where else would I take you to be alone?" he countered, chuckling. "Don't you trust me?"

"Of course, I trust you! Doesn't mean I won't ask, Auro!"

They shared a laugh all the way to the courtyard. With everyone distracted by the ball and the guests, they were alone. Auro led Aleia to their favorite spot. Antesro and Flayke appeared and joined them on the ground.

"I wanted to bring up a subject we've already discussed," Auro said as Aleia leaned against his shoulder. "And though we've discussed it many times, I just want to be sure."

"Okay," replied Aleia, giving the prince her full attention.

"You are absolutely certain that you want to marry me and rule at my side, be my queen and most trusted friend?"

"Auro, I think we both know that answer. Why are you bringing it up? Your coronation is just around the corner."

"I had a strange dream in the night," he explained with a shrug. "I suppose I have hidden doubts that are trying to creep in from nowhere."

She smiled and placed both her hands on his cheeks. She gazed into his eyes, which were their usual shade of green. But there was a hint of the doubt he just spoke about in them.

"I will be with you until my dying breath," Aleia promised with a gentle smile. "A morbid thought, but it's the truth. I want to be with you when I die."

Auro mirrored her smile, gratitude filling his eyes.

"I want to be with you when I die," he whispered.