~ 48 ~

"No!" Auro cried, falling to his knees

"No!" Auro cried, falling to his knees. As if the air had been taken from his lungs. The battle continued around him, but began to die down. It was as if Anaemis' army knew what had happened, and had stopped to watch. Anerathian soldiers gained control, and their enemies surrendered. One by one.

King Azure, frantic and annoyed, flew to Emberhand's side.

"We need a healer, now!" he commanded as Spiris came to see the damage.

"I cannot help him unless his wound is tended to," he said with regret. "Twileigh, is there anything you can do?"

The girl was at his side and moving her hands around the wound. The weapon had turned to ash when Anaemis fell through the portal. All that was left was blood and a huge gash in Emberhand's side.

"I can only stop the flow of blood for now," she said, shaking her head. "I am not gifted as a Healer."

"Where is Aleia?" Ruperto asked, panic in his voice as he came to the huddle. "What happened to her?"

Auro, whom had remained where the portal had closed, looked at him with a fiery gaze. His eyes were a deep crimson color. The darkest red they had ever been.

"He took her," he said, his voice low and gruff. "It was as if he knew where he was going and he took her."

"But we can get her back, right? Twileigh can make a portal to wherever she sent them and we can go after her. Easy peasy."

"It's not that simple," Inanis said with a sigh. "Aleia was the only one who knew where to send Anaemis. The location was wiped from Gl-Twileigh's mind when the portal closed."

"But she's a freaking Warlock, a magic . . . girl!" Ruperto was growing angry. "Can't she do what Arcano did and use the portal's trail to find them, or something?"

"Ruperto," Emberhand said, motioning to his step son to bend closer. "Listen to me."

"Peter," the boy whispered as tears continued to well in his eyes. "Dad, what do I do?"

"Antesro will find her," the man coughed and winced at the pain. "That is what Familiars do."

"We haven't seen Antesro since the start of the battle," Auro argued as he joined them, finally. "We left and he didn't come with us."

"He will find her," was all Emberhand said before passing out.

Auro looked at his father, who cleared his throat and stood to let the Healers and doctors help his friend.

"What are your orders, Father?" Auro said, his gaze still red with wrath.

"We tend to the wounded," the King replied, retrieving his sword from the ground where he had thrown it. "All warriors well enough to stand will return to their homes. The fatal shall be taken to medical wing in the palace. From there, we will make our plans to find Aleia."

"But she's with that madman! He could have killed her by now!"

Glint rose and went to touch Auro's shoulder. He flinched, but calmed when he looked into her eyes.

"As long as she continues to Host the Spirit Queen, she will be protected from anything Anaemis tries to do to her," she said, keeping her voice calm. "I've spent so many hours with the Queen. I know she is not going to abandon the girl she waited so long for. She knew Aleia would be coming. She will know how to help her until we find her."

Tears fell from Auro's eyes, which he clenched shut and covered with his hand. He choked out sobs and fell to his knees.

"I failed her," he whispered. "I had the single task to protect her and I failed."

Knowing the pain the Prince felt, Inanis went to him and placed his gloved hand on his shoulder.

"We'll not rest until we've found her," he said, knowing his words were appreciated when the Prince placed his own hand with his.

***

The captives had been taken to the prison, where they would await their fate. King Azure Snowvale and his wife, Lorna, embraced in reunion.

"What's wrong?" she asked when she saw his pain-stricken expression. "What's happened?"

"Emberhand has been injured," the King replied with a sad sigh. "And Aleia has been taken captive to Anaemis."

The Queen gasped, "What plans of action have been made? And Auro?"

"He is taking the situation rather deeply. But we must be proud of all he has accomplished today. He and Aleia, along with many of the young Elementals, found a way to defeat Anaemis . . . Yet, he used it to his advantage. Took Aleia as a portal closed around him. This war is not ended. The battle has only just begun."

***

Lorna sighed as she watched her son standing on the balcony. He hadn't said much since the armies returned to the safety of the palace. Hardly came to acknowledge his mother.

"Son," Lorna said, standing beside him. "Please, come and eat something. You must be famished."

"I'll eat when I know she is safe again," he whispered, shaking his head. "I can't think about anything else."

"You'll starve and when she is returned, there will be nothing left of you. Heed your mother and eat."

Auro looked at his mother, and it was the first time in years that Lorna had seen her son cry. Taking pity on him, she brought his head to her bosom, as if wanting to shield him from the pain and anguish he felt. Though she knew she could do no such thing.

"Your father will find her," she whispered to her son. "I know how fond of her you've grown."

"I'm in love with her, Mother. I can't be without her."

Lorna rubbed Auro's shoulders, the way she did when he was a little boy and had scraped his knees during playtime. The now grown up man continued to cry into his mother's chest. There was nothing more that could be done today. Everyone needed to rest and recover.

The sun began to rise. The start of a new day as the stars faded into the light.