~ 20 ~

Inanis stared into the cell. The girl did not move. Her lips were blue and her eyes wide in fear. He swallowed, not liking the stillness.

"How long has she been like this?" Inanis asked, glancing at Lord Brun, who was also staring at the girl.

"Not long," Emberhand replied, sighing. "I thought you might know what happened."

"You think I killed her."

"Unless you can give me a proper alibi, yes. I do think you killed her."

Inanis closed his eyes. His inner being crumbled.

"You gave me a chance," he whispered, shaking his head. "I know what it looks like, but I wouldn't dare give you reason to think your decision to let my brother and I live was wrong."

"He was with me."

Inanis' eyes snapped open at the sound of Ruperto's voice. Spiris stood with him, as well as Lumin and Ronell. The Howlers were there as well, though they stayed some distance behind their Earth-masters.

"He was teaching me to use a sword," Ruperto went on, taking a hesitant step towards his stepfather. "We were there for well over an hour. Spiris came and told him you were looking for him, and that's when he left."

"If he had taken Lustris life, I would have given it back," Spiris added, also hesitating. "I still can . . ."

Lord Brun listened, turning to Inanis with a gentled expression. Inanis had tears in his eyes.

"I wouldn't do it without being told or threatened," he choked, turning away, embarrassed to shed tears with an audience. "I threatened her earlier, but Spiris stopped me. Reminded me where I was. Do you think I wanted this curse?"

"No," Brun placed his hands on the young man's shoulders and turned him. "I do not think you wanted it. But you have it, and it can be used for good, when necessary. I see this troubles you, don't hate yourself for what you've not learnt to control."

Inanis couldn't look into the eyes of his master.

"My sister died because of me," he whispered, covering his face with his hands. "I manifested . . . I killed her."

"Was that why you ran away?" asked Emberhand softly. "All those years ago?"

When Inanis did not reply, Spiris spoke up.

"Our parents blamed him."

***

Anaemis yelled as he threw the woman to the ground. She cried and whimpered. Her face was now battered and bruised.

"Tell me!" the man shouted, slapping the woman's face. "I know you know, Agathe!"

"I swore an oath to protect my Queen," she cried, shaking her head; dirt clung to her face and stuck to her tears. "If 'tis the last thing I ever say, I swear to you . . . I shall never disclose the location of the sanctuary to the likes of you!"

"Aah!" Anaemis hit Agathe once more, knocking her unconscious. He stepped away from her body and glared at the town around him. Something was different about the town he had often visited in the last year.

"Someone came through here," he muttered to himself, his black eyes scouring the roads of the little town. "Young Elementals, hardly manifested."

He turned back to the unconscious woman, but unconscious she still was. Anaemis rolled his eyes and sighed. The things he had to do to find his Queen.

***

"Well," said Auro, sighing as he glanced around. "This must be it."