~ 44 ~

As the group came sat around a fire, eating wild fruit and nuts, Inanis studied Twileigh

As the group came sat around a fire, eating wild fruit and nuts, Inanis studied Twileigh. Her gentle nature was magnetic. She carried herself with authority as well. Which explained why she could command even the Prince. But who was she before having suffered death? What was her life like in the Middle Realm?

"You're staring," Aleia said, breaking him from his thoughts.

Inanis looked at his friend and shrugged.

"I can't help it," he admitted. "I'm curious about her, that's all."

"Hard not to be. She was a wandering soul. Spiris and I simply gave her a body to call her own again . . . Do you think it's possible for souls to continue growing up? You know, say, someone died as a younger person?"

"Why do you ask?" Inanis raised a brow.

"I don't know. I just thought of it."

The two shared a laugh, which drew the attention of Auro. And Twileigh, but she remained in conversation with Adum and Millie. Inanis wanted to speak to her. Ask her questions to stay his curiosity. But would she answer them?

"I've not seen nor spoken with Kinasha is so long," Millie said with a sigh of forlorn. "I've heard rumors that she'd joined Anaemis."

"I believe that was the case for a while," Twileigh replied with a gentle nod. "You shall have to ask her for yourself. I have only recently met her, but only briefly."

"Mmm, and the young man who followed you here?" Adum inquired with some hostility.

"He is not your enemy."

Twileigh's statement was in defence. She cleared her throat and exhaled her rising anger.

"Forgive me," she said, her voice softened. "Inanis is someone who will always appear frowned upon. Misunderstood. I have not know him for long-" Twileigh glanced at the boy as she paused. "But a time will come when he will realize how truly important he is. His part in all of this. And the friendship that is already growing between him and the future queen."

"Aleia is betrothed to Prince Auro?" Millia asked, which brought Twileigh's attention back. "I thought as much, but when Inanis appeared, Aleia was glad to see him."

"As I've said, they have a growing friendship. But you will have to talk to them about how they are so close."

Twileigh glanced at Inanis again, this time to find him watching her with curious eyes. Dark eyes. Like her own.

***

When the sun rose the next morning, Aleia found herself wrapped in Auro's arms. A habit she hoped would continue. As she turned her head to look around, she found Inanis a few feet away. He was still asleep. And clenched in his fist, extended away from his sleeping form, was his necklace. Inanis had told Aleia little about it. She knew it was precious to him, from the way he so often held it in his fingers.

"You're staring."

Inanis' low voice started her. Aleia narrowed her eyes.

"You sleep with your necklace clenched in your fist," she whispered, not wanting to wake Auro.

"Did I tell you where it came from?" Inanis asked, pushing up and resting on his elbow, twisting the beads in his fingers.

"I don't think you did."

"It belonged to my grandfather," he explained with a heavy sigh. "When Glint was a baby, when I held her, she loved to hold it in her hand. She would clench it in her little fist and try to speak. When I learned I would be studying at the academy, under the Masters, I gave it to Glint so she would know I was always with her. That I would visit . . . She was wearing it when . . . When she died."

Auro was awake now; Aleia had felt his arm tighten slightly. But he remained silent while Inanis spoke.

"I've hardly worn it since then," he went on, softly. "Only holding it like this in my sleep. But after going to her grave that day, with you and Nasha, it doesn't bring me pain. Not anymore."

Aleia sat up and wiggled away from Auro's grasp. She shimmied towards Inanis and held out her arms.

"What?" he eyed her with suspicion.

"I just wanted to offer a hug," she replied with a gentle smile. "And I think Twileigh has the same thought."

Inanis sat up and looked at the girl approaching. Twileigh was quick to pull Aleia up, and did the same for Inanis. He was hesitant, but the look in Twileigh's eyes caused him to pull her to his chest. He did not know why, yet did not wish to question it.

"I have to tell you something," she whispered when he was about to pull away. "And I hope you will believe me."

Inanis glanced at Aleia before giving a slow nod.

"Your mother did not believe she could bring your sister back," Twileigh spoke quickly, clinging to his arm. "What she lacked in faith, she made up for in anger. M-your parents went on in life with sorrows and regret. But their pride prevented them from wanting any sort of reconciliation. I hope you know I do not mean to offend you, I jus-"

Inanis stopped her with a look. Something passed in his eyes. Realization, and puzzlement.

"How do you know this?" he asked, bringing his hands up to place his beads around his neck. And caught Twileigh staring at them with awe.

"Whispers," she replied, tears welling in her eyes. "Rumors and truths alike; they passed through the Between realms like the North Winds. When one has not passed on, as I did not, you hear everything. All the joys . . . the sorrows. I never understood why I never passed on, never truly passing to the Gates. But now I do."

Twileigh swiped at her cheeks and turned away, leaving Inanis and Aleia in shock.

"Visit your sister's grave once we've returned," she called over her shoulder. "And tell me if she is truly there."