~ 23 ~

Auro's father listened to the tale thoughtfully. His wife stood beside him, holding to his shoulder. When Lord Emberhand had finished speaking, and Inanis given a full pardon, preparations were made for him and Spiris to take the Prince and Aleia to the town.

"I am depending on you not to turn against them," Emberhand said as he pulled Inanis aside. "You are proving to be trustworthy, but you cannot blame me for my precaution."

"I understand," Inanis said, his gaze resting on Aleia, who stood across the room talking to Auro. "They are quite the match. Who would've thought?"

"Hmm, Aleia's mother certainly did."

Inanis looked at Lord Emberhand, shocked. But he couldn't ask him what that meant because he was already walking away. Inanis had noticed several times when Aleia's mother was mentioned, Emberhand would leave the topic in the air and waltz away. What was he not saying about the woman?

"What are you thinking?" Spiris asked as he came to stand with his brother. "If it involves Aleia, you lost your chance long before meeting her."

Inanis smirked and shook his head.

"Nice," he said, sighing. "Are you ready to go see her?"

"Are you? There is a chance of her sounding the alarm."

"We're not letting the Hosts anywhere near her."

"What are you planning?" Spiris crossed his arms, completely amused.

"We're going to win her back," Inanis stated as he walked towards Auro and Aleia.

***

"Why did I have to come again?" Ronell complained as he followed his stepsister, her boyfriend and the Deathly Duo down the streets of Xison. This was the home of the palace, but Ronell wasn't interested in the sights.

"You need to be more involved," Aleia replied, turning around and walking backward as she talked. "Aren't you the least bit curious to how all those fairy tales and myths are actually real?"

"A little bit, but I'm not into myths or fairy tales. That's your job."

"You have no imagination."

Ronell rolled his eyes as Aleia turned back around and snuggled back into Auro's side. Askan trotted alongside him.

"You should be more open-minded," the beast said, panting softly. "Aleia is, obviously, trying to be your friend."

"I know," Ronell grumbled, resting his hand on Askan's back as they walked together. "But I can't seem to kill the old habit. I'm used to teasing her."

"You can fix that. She's been nice to you, despite all that. And she's not holding a grudge."

Ronell nodded and let his gaze fall on his stepsister's back. Secretly, he was happy for Aleia. She was part of an important mission, a cause. She was falling in love, with a prince. No one could have been more worthy.

"She's quite the character."

Ronell startled when Spiris was suddenly walking beside him.

"Don't you make noise when you walk?" he asked, looking down at the other guy's feet.

"When you've worked under someone like Anaemis," Spiris explained, shaking his head. "You learn to do everything with stealth."

"Do you think I'll develop abilities or skills?"

"That's not likely. You don't share blood relation with Lord Brun, and I assume your mother is Earth-born."

"As far as I know, yeah," Ronell shrugged and then he thought of his mother. "My mother is two-faced with Aleia. I guess I've ignored it. She makes Aleia do almost everything around the house. And then when her dad is around, she covers it up with a comment of false sweetness."

Ahead of them, Aleia and Auro were smiling and giving each other looks. Auro would nudge her with his elbow. She would nudge him back. They'd giggle and start over.

"The two of you are making me sick," Inanis grumbled, rolling his eyes. "Please spare me. It's hard enough to be going to this place."

"You're scared," Aleia said, moving away from Auro to fall in step with Inanis. "Why?"

"Because Kinasha can be deadly," he replied, "and she's not on your side. Not yet."

"Is she like you? Misunderstood, I mean."

Inanis turned his dark gaze to her and sighed with his shoulders.

"Something to that extent," he said, nodding.

Aleia smiled, "I'm happy my dad gave you a chance," she said, nodding. "You're not terrible."

"My first words to you involved me sucking your life away."

"It was in good humor. I didn't take offense or get scared."

Inanis raised an eyebrow at her.

"Okay," she relented with a laugh. "So I got spooked a little bit."

Inanis chuckled, "That's validating," he replied. "Thank you, Aleia."

"You're welcome."