~ 58 ~

Aleia stared at the house, sighing as she felt the weight on her shoulders

Aleia stared at the house, sighing as she felt the weight on her shoulders. There was nothing about this place that made her want to miss it. Her dad wasn't here, she didn't have any sort of fond memories. She felt empty, yet there was something making her feel guilty about it.

"Strange," Glint said as she stood next to Aleia.

"Right," she replied softly. "It doesn't even remotely feel like home anymore."

"That's because you've found your true home," Auro whispered in her ear; he had her wrapped in his arms.

"Yeah . . . I'm sorry, I thought this was a great idea. But I want to go back. I need to see my dad."

"We can show everyone around," Ruperto offered, moving to stand in front of her. "Athena and Apollo can help us get back."

"You sure?"

"Yeah, it's fine. I know how important your dad is to you."

Aleia pulled away from Auro to hug her stepbrother.

***

When Aleia entered the medical wing, a sadness came over her. She hadn't come to see her dad since her return. She didn't know how he was doing. She had been so wrapped up in dress fittings and stolen moments with Auro that she didn't even think of her dad. Did that make her a terrible daughter?

"Hi Dad," she said, pulling a chair up to his bedside.

"Aleia," he said, clearing his throat as he turned his tired face to her. "I was wondering when you would visit."

"I'm sorry; I was thoughtless."

"Well, I was too . . . when I came to see your mother for the last time."

There was a brief pause.

"Can you tell me about her? How you met. How she left."

Aleia watched her father heave a sigh. He grimaced as he pushed himself to a sitting position, with some assistance from her. Once he was comfortable, and the pillows were fluffed, he went on speaking.

"Alessa was the bravest woman I ever met," he said with a fond smile. "I was a few years older, but we were in the same training class. I remember thinking she was completely above me."

"Out of your league?" Aleia asked with a smile.

"Yes, very much out of my league. And she was the next in line for the throne. There was no way she could've acknowledged me. And she didn't acknowledge. Not for some years anyway. When she became general of the army, after passing the throne to Utmjir, she chose her captains with great care, and she chose me as her second in command. She said it was because she remembered me in training. Something about us working well together. Which we did. We led Anerathia to many victories . . . I was in love her, but I didn't know how she felt about me until I was injured in battle.

"This was back when Anerathia was divided in three kingdoms. Anerathia, Drethia and Drischire. Drischire was folded into Anerathian territory when Utmjir accepted the crown over Anerathia. We were at war with Drethia. Where Anaemis had taken the country hostage. They feared what he would do if they did not let him lead. We were blessed to have the alliance of Drischire. Drethia was larger in population and territory, but they didn't have a throne. No one to lead and rule over them."

Aleia's father inhaled a deep breath, exhaling it slowly.

"There had been a short period of peace, long enough for me to marry Alessa. We didn't have time to celebrate . . . Your mother found out she was with child as we were marching to meet Anaemis."

"Did either of you know there were portals from Anerathia to Earth?" Aleia asked, rubbing her arms as they swelled with gooseflesh. Like someone might when they're hearing a really good campfire story.

"We stumbled upon a portal by accident," her dad replied with a chuckle. "Complete accident. But finding it was a blessing. We were able to enjoy your birth and see you become a little girl. Your mother then realized we couldn't hide anymore. So, we found someone to watch over you, under the assumptions we were going on an adult vacation. And we came back to Anerathia, to the very place we had left. And it was as if we had only been gone a few hours."

"But really you had been gone a few years, right? Like Narnia, but reversed."

"Exactly. But when we came back, it became clear we wouldn't beat Anaemis without sacrificing the entire army. We didn't understand how Anaemis could grow so powerful. Your mother knew then she had made the right choice about who should be on the throne in her place. And it was then that she decided there was only one thing to do."

Aleia swallowed, unsure of whether she wanted to hear the rest or not.

"What was it?" she asked in a small voice.

"Alessa, your mother, told a lie. She was an honest woman. She never withheld the truth, even if it would cause pain to someone she loved. And she loved her brother, but she was convinced of the evil path he was taking. She created the prophecy and in anger . . . The ground opened its mouth and your mother fell to her death. And I was the only witness. Which is why all Anerathians believe she fled to Goowrark."

Aleia had to look at the wall as she blinked away her tears.

"How did you cope?" she asked, sniffling as she looked back at her dad. "How did you deal with that loss?"

"I almost couldn't handle the pain . . . but then I remembered that I had you. I went home and spent as much time with you as I could. And I let Anerathia go for a while. But then I couldn't ignore my responsibilities anymore. I married Susanna and was away too much. For that, I am sorry. And I'm sorry for not talking to you about your mom more. Because the woman you remember as your mother was a babysitter and she died from cancer. I used that as my excuse, and you were . . ."

Aleia stopped her dad from speaking and moved to sit in the bed with him. She hugged him and she forgave him.

"Thank you."