~ 59 ~

Millie sat by herself in one of the many palace courtyards

Millie sat by herself in one of the many palace courtyards. She knew the prince and all her new friends had gone to see Aleia's world. But she hadn't felt the desire to go with them. Her heart was in tatters. She felt harsh pangs in her chest. Millie was ignoring Adum. However, if he came to speak to her, she would make an attempt to mend what felt broken.

Aleia had come back and she was unharmed. Just as Millie believed she would.

It was as if he'd heard her crying, though she did not make a sound. Adum appeared across the courtyard and sat on the ground. He watched her in silence. As if waiting for her to acknowledge him. But Millie said nothing.

"Millie," he pleaded, but he didn't dare move closer. "Speak to me. I've been proven wrong. Aleia returned, just as you said she would."

"This is not the first occurance, Adum," she said, though her voice remained soft. "You've had lack of faith in my words on countless occasions. The very man who gave you a home believed in me more than you. What will it take for you to believe my words?"

Adum sighed and pushed himself to his feet. He approached her with caution. When he was certain she would not tell him to leave her be, or that she would not try and leave herself, he joined her on the ground.

"I'm sorry," he whispered as he wrapped his arms around Millie. "I do not know where my doubt comes from. I've been with you since you gained the gift, and I have seen things come to pass after you've spoken of it. I shouldn't doubt you, ever."

Tears still ran down Millie's cheeks, but she was more willing to let Adum comfort her.

"I'm sorry," he said again, kissing her hair as he tightened his embrace. "I am truly sorry. Please forgive me."

She was still crying, but his apology was sincere. Millie had known him long enough to know when he was genuine. She turned her face, letting him see the pain she had.

"There won't be another chance," she said shaking her head as he took her cheeks in his hands. "I won't be able to forgive you the next time."

"I won't let it happen again. I promise."

Millie couldn't bring herself to tell Adum to not make such promises. It was there in his eyes. He would use all his might to keep the promise.

***

Aleia sighed as she walked through the palace halls. She had just left her dad and was looking for Auro. But she couldn't find him anywhere. He'd returned with her, but had left her to be alone with her dad.

"What's wrong, Aleia?"

She turned and saw King Azure standing in the doorway to what Aleia knew to be his study.

"I was looking for Auro," she said after dipping herself into a quick curtsy. "But I can't seem to find him anywhere."

"Hmm," the king began to smirk as his gaze looked to the ceiling. "Well, whenever I can't find him, I always look for his Familiar."

Aleia looked up and saw the bird. Her smile spread across her face as Flake flew down and dropped something at her feet. It was a little scroll tied in a gold ribbon.

"Does that help you?" the king asked with a chuckle.

"It does," Aleia replied, laughing as she picked up the scroll. "And it seems the one place I haven't looked in the library, which is where Auro wants me to meet him."

Azure smiled and pointed the girl in the proper direction. A short walk later, Aleia entered a large lirbrary. There were shelves everywhere. They nearly reached the ceiling. There were tables and chairs all over. The floors were marbled, with the occasion decorative rug. Large glass windows allowed the grand room to be full of natural light. Unlit lamp posts lined walls.

"Wow," Aleia said to herself, laughing softly as she glanced around.

"I was beginning to wonder when you would appear."

She turned as found Auro leaning against the wall, on the far side of the library.

"Flayke only just gave me your note," she replied, walking toward the prince. "You disappeared."

Auro smiled at her.

"I have a present for you," he said, taking her hand as he led her to a winding staircase that went up to another level. "I saw it and thought of you."

The upper level opened to a loft. It overlooked the entire lower level of the library, and gave view to other lofts as well. Auro pulled a curtain closed and turned to Aleia with a bashful smile.

"What?" she asked, smiling back.

"I've never done this before," he replied, shaking his head and running a hand through his white locks. "Just give me a moment to collect my words."

Aleia froze. For some reason, she knew exactly what he was trying to do. Her heart pounded in her chest. Her cheeks grew warm; they were probably pink too. Her feet were stuck to the floor. She wouldn't be able to move, even if she tried. The only part of her that seemed to be in full functioning order was her voice.

"Yes," she said, squeezing Auro's hand, which still held hers.

"Yes, what?" he asked with a puzzled expression.

"I don't care if you ask me or not. But my answer is yes. It became a yes answer when you told me how you felt. How you didn't care there was a prophecy binding us to each other. You're smart and kind, a safe driver."

Auro chuckled as Aleia managed to step closer and wrap her hands around his neck.

"But more importantly," Aleia went on, "you care about your kingdom and your people. You care about everyone's wellbeing and anyone would be lucky to stand at your side . . . It is me you want to rule beside you, right?"

Auro laughed some more and he seemed way more relaxed. Not tense or nervous like he'd been a moment ago.

"Do I have the privilege to ask you anyway?" he asked, producing a ring with a blue garnet on a silver band.

Auro slipped the ring onto Aleia finger, which surprised her as it was on her right ring-finger and not her left.

"Aleia, daugther of Emberhand," he said, exhaling softly. "I know many people expect it, and it is our duty to do what is best for Anerathia. But I have it in my heart to show the world how much you mean to me. I was in honest misery during your absence. I've never known such love existed. And then you appeared with those massive dogs pulling you through that office. I didn't know it right then, but as I grew to know you, everything felt right. In spite of my knowledge that it was going to happen anyway.

"Will you be my queen, Aleia?"

She smiled and kissed him. There was no need for further words.