~ 11 ~

Aleia couldn't believe her eyes. One moment she was stepping into a portal with Auro, the next she was standing in a beautiful forest that reminded her of scenes she only saw in movies. Tall, majestic-looking trees with wide berth of branches and thick leaves. Shades of green and gold. The sky peeked through the treetops, a brilliant bright blue, fluffy clouds that looked like marshmallows. The air smelled sweet, almost like someone had dipped it in honey, or molasses. It was unlike anything she had experienced in her life, and she had yet to see more of Anerathia.

Aleia wondered what had become of Auro and the others. It was as if they had disappeared when they stepped through the portal. However, before she could attempt to call out for any of them, she felt a harsh chill in her bones. She had the urge to get warm. Her teeth began chattering as she rubbed her hands over her arms. It did nothing.

"Aleia."

Aleia recognized the voice, though it sounded so far away. A mere buzz at the back of her head. She squeezed her eyes shut, concentrating on warm thoughts as the voice called to her again.

"Aleia, open your eyes. C'mon love."

Aleia couldn't open her eyes. She tried and failed. Trial and error. Over and over. Frustration began to build in her chest. All Aleia wanted was to open her eyes, feel warm, and know that she wasn't alone anymore.

Aleia was still close to freezing when her hands suddenly grew hot. Scalding hot. And though she felt the heat, she felt no pain from being burned. Her eyes finally opened and when she glanced at her hands, she saw flames.

***

Auro sat awake, never leaving Aleia's side. She hadn't opened her eyes, but she was breathing and that was what mattered. If she hadn't been breathing, he might have had a problem, and not just with Lord Brun.

Aleia began to mumble and moan. She shuddered from being cold. Auro was quick to be at her side, motioning for Ashe to kindle the fire and make the cave warmer. No one asked questions. They simply did as the Prince ordered them. Color slowly returned to Aleia's ice-blue lips. Her pale skin regain the peach tone it had before the cold winds.

"Aleia?" Auro whispered, leaning his face close to hers. "Open your eyes. C'mon love."

He repeated these words, because every time he said the word 'love', Aleia's expression would soften and there would be a hint of a smile at her lips. Auro liked the sight, and he knew it meant she could hear him. But why had she been rendered unconscious? Sure, traveling by portal was something to get used to, but it never did that to anyone. Not that Auro knew of, anyway.

"Her hands," Aurora said, coming for a closer look; she had been sitting across the cave, on the other side of the fire. "They're glowing."

"It's happening," Ashe said, speaking for the first time in many hours. "Unless you wish to get burned, Lord Prince, I would suggest you get back. She'll be awake any moment."

Auro's heart pounded in his chest. Aleia was manifesting her abilities. He scrambled to his knees, backing away but staying close enough to her. Aleia's eyes opened, band he sighed with relief. But then she screamed. A painful, agonizing scream. She looked at her hands, fear-stricken expression.

"What's happening to me?!" she cried, looking around until her gaze fell on Auro. "Auro, make it stop!"

Auro jumped to his feet but didn't know what he could do. A bright light filled the cave, and it was not from neither Aurora or Lumin. No. This light was brighter, and it had a blue color. And it was coming from Auro's hands. He gasped, looking at his palms. Flakes of white came from his fingertips, the blue-ish light intensifying by the second. Lord Brun's teachings raced through his mind.