~ 34 ~

Spiris could hardly believe it. The message was not a trap. His parents were actually gone. This was their burial. He glanced at his brother and saw how truly torn he was. Tears welled in his dark eyes. Puffy and red. He didn't hate them. He'd been hurt, yes. But deep down, he still loved them, even when they'd blamed him for something out of his control.

When the ceremony had ended, Spiris and Inanis remained at the grave. Kinasha wandered some ways off, to give them a moment.

"At least they chose not to share a grave with Glint," Inanis said, sniffling and wiping his nose on his sleeve. "I wouldn't know how to handle that."

"Well," Spiris replied, blinking as he tried to clear his own tears. "At least we can say we no longer have any regrets."

Spiris! Inanis!

He looked up and glanced around. But no one was there. Inanis gave him an odd look.

"What's wrong, apart from the obvious?" he asked, raising an eyebrow.

Spiris contemplated whether to tell his brother about the voice in his head. He decided against it. Inanis didn't need to know his brother was hearing voices that weren't Aleia.

Spiris! You heard me?! Oh, Spiris!

He cleared his throat and turned away from Inanis. Someone was projecting thoughts to his mind. But whom?

***

Aleia smiled as the lion rolled onto its back and pawed at the air. Like a kitten. This massive beast! Auro and Lumen watched in amusement.

"This is amazing," she said, rubbing the stomach fur. "Auro, isn't this amazing?"

"Wedding gift," Lumen said, leaning close to Auro and lowering his voice. "She needs a pet that won't claw at her by accident."

"Antesro would do no such thing," Auro replied, shaking his head. "You said something similar about Flayke. She hasn't gauged my eyes out. Familiars protect their masters. Not harm them."

"Pardon my ignorance. I don't have a Familiar."

Lumen's tone changed. Only slightly. But it was enough for all present to know he was no longer joking.

"No fighting," Aleia sang, laughing as she continued playing with the lion. "I know its a bit of a rough patch right now. But We have to work together, not against each other. That's what Anaemis wants. Don't give him that. Your friendship is much more important."

Lumen sighed and sent a look of apology to the prince. Auro nodded; he was not taking offense. He knew his friend was hurting. He would be there for him.

Aleia looked up suddenly. She glanced around as if looking for something. Or rather, someone. The girl was on her feet and looking in all directions. The Lion rose and stood beside her. He too glanced in all directions.

"Do you not hear it?" Aleia asked, grabbing Auro by the arm. "That voice in the wind?"

Auro tilted his head and listened. But he heard nothing. Lumen also tried listening. There was nothing but silence. And the occasion chirping of birds, the rustling of tree leaves.

"She's crying," Aleia went on, whispering as she brought her other hand to her heart. "She's trying to get his attention, but he can't find her. He can't see her."

"Who?" Auro asked, rubbing her shoulders.

"We need to find Spiris."

Aleia pulled away so suddenly, marching in the direction they had left Kinasha and the twins. The Lion walked alongside her. Auro and Lumen glanced at each other with confusion.

"There's something more to her," Lumen said, though it was more of a question.

"Or perhaps," Auro replied, watching the girl. "She truly hears someone in the wind. We are in a graveyard. She might hear the souls that have yet to pass on."

"But why her?" his friend asked as they started after Aleia, hoping to catch up with her.

"We're about to find out."

When they found the rest of their group, Aleia did not hesitate.

"We'll be back!" Aleia called over her shoulder, as she and Spiris walked towards the far end of the graveyard. She waited until they were out of earshot before speaking.

"You heard her too?" she asked, gently shoving him towards a canopy of trees. "She was calling your name, and Inanis'."

"I'm not crazy," Spiris sighed in relief and ran his fingers through his hair. "Yes, I heard her call to me. But I couldn't see where her voice came from."

"Her soul should have passed on, but it hasn't. There is a reason for that. And I believe we just might be able to offer her a second chance. But it can only happen if you're willing to help me . . . And we must seek the King's permission for Lustris' body."

Spiris' forehead creased. "Lustris' body? How does one connect with the other?"

"Lustris' body would become new. And whomever this girl is, the one only you and I can hear, will have a chance to live again. She wouldn't look anything like Lustris though. I don't know why I would know that, but it seems relevant."

Aleia paused to take a breath. Something caught her eye. She looked towards the object and held her breath. The girl she'd seen before, the one touching Inanis' shoulder, was standing just beyond the line of trees. Aleia grabbed Spiris by the shoulder and made him turn.

"Do you see her?" she asked, almost afraid of his answer.

"Yes," he gasped, taking a step forward. "I see her."

"We need to act fast."

Spiris nodded, but he was already walking closer. He held out his hand, palm upwards. The girl, though her entire being was transparent, had visible tears running down her cheeks. She was scared. Her dark eyes told Spiris that much.

"I won't hurt you," he said as he came closer. "Neither of us will."

The girl wore a light purple veil. It fell and revealed long, raven-colored locks. For some reason, it made Spiris think of his brother. But he pushed the thought aside. The girl came forward. Her hand extended. There was a flash of light as her fingers touched Spiris' hand. A sphere of light rested in his palm.

"We have to get her to the King," Aleia said, staring at the sphere.

"Mhm," Spiris grunted, never looking away from the soul he held in his hand.