~ 42 ~

Aleia and Auro walked behind Twileigh

Aleia and Auro walked behind Twileigh. When they had stepped out of the portal, they entered a forest that was unfamiliar to them. Granted, Aleia still had much to learn about her new home, but Auro did not recognize the location either.

"Where are we?" Auro asked, keeping Aleia's hand in his own.

"Calm Grove," the girl replied, pausing as she raised her hand to the air. "If I am correct, we are near the Paeton river. Which travels south from Maener Gulf."

"How do you know that?" Aleia became puzzled.

"Before you became Host for the Spirit Queen," Twileigh began to explain. "Like me, she was a sojourner in the Middle Realm, the Realm of Souls. Neither alive or dead. The only pass time was to take part in helping perished souls find their way to Beyond. My soul was never welcomed at the gates, so I remained with the Queen. She became my teacher, changed my name and I helped her guide the souls. And then you, Aleia, became of age. And she vanished from the Realm."

Auro and Aleia exchanged a glance, but neither of them had the courage to ask what her name used to be.

"We will camp here for the night," the girl went on, looking around them. "We'll need to build a fire, but we can use those canopies for shelter."

As she said this, Twileigh disappeared into the woods. Auro sighed and released Aleia's hand to look for firewood.

"Did you notice?" Aleia asked, keeping her voice at a volume only Auro could hear.

"Yes," he replied, picking up several dry twigs.

"But we can't say anything. It has to be the right time."

"I know . . . Aleia, I truly did not expect you to be caught up in battle. In any battle. I'm sorry."

She smiled and went up to hug him from behind.

"You told me this already," she whispered, kissing the place between Auro's shoulder blades. "And it's fine. It was going to happen. I may not know much about my origins, but I'm sure we'll get through it. And you'll get to teach me more."

Auro twisted so he might wrap his arms around her.

Twileigh smiled and giggled softly at the display of affection given by the prince. Perhaps it was not right of her to watch, but she couldn't help herself. After a moment, Auro pulled away from Aleia and the pair went off. Twileigh sighed approached the spot they had just left. She had heard what they'd said and she wished she could explain it to them. To show them.

"I hope your plan works," Twileigh whispered to the air, closing her eyes as a gentle breeze blew through her hair. "Because keeping this a secret is proving difficult."

Be strong, my child.

The voice calmed Twileigh. She opened her eyes in time to see Auro and Aleia returning. Auro held a stack of firewood.

"Can I ask you a question?" Aleia asked, standing next to Twileigh while Auro prepared the firewood. "If you can't answer, don't worry."

"I shall try my best," she replied, smiling as they sat on the dry grass.

She watched Aleia exhale. Her shoulders relaxing and releasing whatever tension had been locked in them.

"The Queen," Aleia began, rubbing her hands together nervously. "Alessa; what was she like? I only know from what I feel as her Host. You've met her face to face."

"Heads turned whenever she entered a room," Twileigh replied, smiling at the memory. "She had so many admirers. Her wisdom cannot be compared to anyone. And when she smiled, her very presence fills you with love. Like a mother or a sister, or even as a friend."

"Her children carried on the bloodline, right?"

"Oh, no. Alessa was crowned queen, yes. But her reign lasted only a year or so."

"Oh."

Twileigh saw how her words seemed to confuse Aleia. But she didn't have time to explain what she meant, because Auro stood in sudden alertness.

"Aleia," he said, waving her with one hand while unsheathing his weapon with the other.

"What did you hear?" she asked, hurrying to stand behind him.

"Shh," he hushed her. Twileigh stepped with care towards the direction in which the prince was facing. She took a deep breath and closed her eyes.

"Show yourself," she said, loud enough for her voice to be heard above the whistling wind, but soft enough that she did not shout.

And then, gentle as a calm sea, out of the woods stepped a young man. Tall and rather lanky, he looked to only recently reached proper age to Manifest. And his hair was an odd shade of blue. But perhaps it looked blue in different lighting.

Twileigh opened her eyes and met his gaze.

"Who are you?" he asked, reaching behind his back and revealing a dagger. "Where did you come from?"

"We are travelers from Anerathia," Auro replied, holding his arm in front of Aleia.

"We are looking for Millenis Centuris," Twileigh spoke up, taking some steps towards the stranger. "I am sure you know of her."

"Millenis Centuris? How did you hear of this name?"

The stranger relaxed his stance, which allowed Auro to do the same. Aleia remained behind Auro. Twileigh moved closer.

"What is your name?" She asked, "Can you help us find her?"

"My name is Adum," he replied and repeated his question, "How do you know that name?"

"Kinasha sent us," Aleia spoke gently, stepping around Auro. "We seek her help."

Adum fell completely silent. He straightened his shoulders, glancing behind him. Out of the dark, green trees stepped a young woman. Her hair reminded Aleia of caramel. It was the first thing she noticed about the girl.

"Come," she said, turning and taking Adum by the arm.

Twileigh looked from Aleia to Auro. They nodded and proceeded to follow the strangers into the woods.