~ 40 ~

The hours went by slowly. Nothing changed. The shield remained intact, but it was taking quite a beating from Anaemis' attacks. Soldiers and guards took turns watching the enemy. The King and Lord Emberhand never left the place where Anaemis could see them clearly.

"His attacks are weakening the shield," Emberhand said, glancing up at the transparent sphere.

"We do not advance," the King replied, shaking his head. "The shield will hold. He must come to us."

"I have reason to believe he already has, my lord. Ronell and Lumen have decapitated several of his footmen. They were advancing close to the shield."

"Then we will advance when more have tried to get through."

Ronell coughed as he panted for breath. He barely got away from that last one. Lumen groaned as one of the medics tended to the gash in his left arm. Ruperto and Spiris stood nearby.

"Is he going to be alright?" Ruperto asked, wringing out a wet cloth.

"He was lucky," Spiris replied, waving it off. "There are injuries far worse. That's just a scratch."

"Skinning your knees is just a scratch. He has an ax stuck in his arm."

"We're trained for this-ssss!" Lumen hissed as the nurse tied the bandage tight around his arm. "Honestly, it truly is nothing."

"Tell that to Aurora," Arcano said as he appeared in their midst.

Something changed in Lumen's expression. His shoulders slumped, and he nodded. The boys cackled and teased him. Auro and Aleia appeared, arm in arm.

"I'm starting to get antsy," she said, groaning as she kicked at a stone. "The shield won't hold forever. We have to do something more than just holding our ground. That doesn't always work!"

"Can't say I don't agree," Auro replied, sighing. "But my father is the one leading the army. The call is his to make."

"Has the girl shown up, at all?" Aleia turned to Spiris with a questioning gaze.

"Sorry," he shrugged and shook his head. "I haven't seen her."

"Her who?"

Inanis came with Kinasha behind him.

"Twileigh," Spiris explained, "the soul Aleia and I placed into Lustris' body . . ."

He trailed off, realizing the plausibility of Lumen not knowing what they'd done yet.

"You idiot."

They all turned and saw Aurora coming towards them. She walked right up to Lumen and flicked her finger against his chest.

"How could you be so foolish?" she asked, shaking her head and touching his cheek.

"Men do foolish things," he replied with a soft chuckle.

"Very foolish things."

"My eyes, they burn!" Aeros complained when his sister kissed Lumen.

Aleia laughed, "Nothing like a good tease," she said, hugging Auro's waist.

A trumpet sounded, followed by another.

"He's changing our approach," Auro said, leading the group towards his father. "Stay together. Aleia, with me. At all times."

***

Abrus nodded with approval as Twileigh closed the portal. She turned to him, pushing her spectacles back up her nose.

"Well done," he said, applauding her. "And because I chose a side . . . Do you plan to take me along?"

"I need you on the right side," she replied, nodding. "And that side is with the King, the Prince, and the one who bears the Mark. Had you not tried to get Purety away from Anaemis, you would not have taken the chance to follow me to No Man's Land."

"We are but mere miles away from where the battle is taking place."

"Yes. But don't you see? We are so close, yet so far from reaching the triumph that we seek. I cannot explain it right now. But the moment I walk into battle, it will be over. Our strength is in each other."

"How do you know this?" Abrus asked, lowering his voice as if there were someone who might hear.

"I met the Spirit Queen," Twileigh replied, smiling fondly. "Alessa was the one to greet me when my soul arrived in the Realm of Souls. She gave me a new name. And I was with her when she called to Aleia. My part in this battle . . . I just hope my loved ones survive long enough for our reunion. Now, we must go to the Tower of Vrago."

"What's there?"

Twileigh grinned as she conjured a portal with the snap of her fingers and said, "Victory."

***

King Azure stood before the men and women who volunteered to fight. His hands rested on the hilt of his sword. His armor gleamed in the afternoon light.

"Today, we protect our country," he said, speaking loudly to be heard above the groaning of the shield. "Today, we protect our families; our loved ones. Anerathia was once a kingdom of peace. Today, we bring back that peace!"

The armies shouted in agreement. The King turned to face the enemy. He unsheathed his sword and held it in the air.

"For the people! For Anerathia!"

Aleia and Auro exchange a look as they held hands. And then, along with everyone else, they ran towards the edge of the shields.

Be brave, my child.

"Still with me, my Queen?" Aleia whispered as her arms forged flames.

Always.

To Be Continued . . . .