~ 27 ~

"This is fantastic," Ruperto said with his mouth full; he and Spiris were eating their morning meal. "After all those days in the mountains, this is really nice."

Spiris laughed, "So, say that again," he said, gulping down the Anerathian equivalent of port wine. "The only girl to ever acknowledge you, apart of your stepsister, was a girl in your . . . biology class? What is biology, again?"

"It's the study of living things."

"Ah, and the girl? Is she interested in you romantically?"

Ruperto sighed and shook his head. "She saw me as a friend. I asked her to a school dance and got rejected."

He fell quiet. Spiris didn't push him to say more. Soon, they were joined by Soile, Stratos, and Lumin. The table was bustling with jokes and laughter when Ronell came along. He grinned at the servant girls and flirted with them whenever they refilled his goblet.

"I honestly feel like royalty with all this special treatment," he jested; frankly, it was possible he had too much to drink in the early hours already.

"What's all this?"

The group stopped their loud conversations and looked up when the king entered. He was followed by Auro and Aleia, and Lord Brun.

"Jolly fun?" Spiris offered with a bashful grin.

The king smiled, "Carry on then."

He waved a hand for them to continue, and went further across the room to the King's table. Lord Brun gave his daughter a gentle embrace before joining his leader. Auro and Aleia were given places at the table and the laughter continued. Aleia was squished between her betrothed and Ruperto. He kept nudging her and giving her knowing glances.

"Would you quit it?" she asked, laughing nervously. "We didn't do anything. It's not customary."

"But you want to," he said, chomping on a blue carrot.

"When I marry him, yes."

"When would that be, exactly?"

"Not until we've taken care of the current issue."

Ruperto nodded with understanding. Aleia turned her gaze to the others at the table. Ronell was still flirting with one of the servants. A cute girl with auburn hair and bright smile. Inanis and Kinasha came from behind him and the room was made for the pair. Aleia took note of how Kinasha kept touching Inanis' arm. How he kept whispering in her ear and she blushed. What had happened on the last day to cause this change?

As if hearing exactly what she was thinking, Inanis looked right at Aleia. And he smiled. It was a shy, thankful smile. Aleia smiled back and turned to Auro. She hadn't realized he'd been watching her.

"What?" she asked, blushing.

"I'll tell you," he replied, chuckling as he moved a hair out of her eyes. "But you have to come with me."

He stood and offered Aleia his hand. Which she took and the two left the dining hall. Auro led her through many corridors and hallways. They came to the courtyard, where they had been the night before. Only Auro did not stop near Flayke's usual perching tree. He led her to the far end, near a great wall and a rose garden. At least, Aleia thought they were roses, but they weren't quite rose-like. Though, their shape was very similar.

"Aleia," Auro said, taking her hands into his. "I want you to remember something. When the battle has begun, and you suddenly feel as if hope is lost. Remember that it is my duty to protect you. And you're not alone."

"Auro, I don't know what to say," she whispered; she hadn't thought further of when they might meet Anaemis in a battle. The blissful feeling she'd had was now replaced by a sudden, burning fear. What if they lost the battle? What if Auro died protecting her? Tears welled in her eyes as she looked at the ground.

"I'm scared too," Auro whispered back, pulling her into his arms. "I've only seen the war from a distance. I didn't think I would ever have to fight a battle before I became king. Much less alongside someone I love."

"Is that how you feel about me? Even though we've only just met?" Aleia asked, tipping her head back to look up at him.

"I feel as if I've made it quite clear," he replied with a smile. "And yes, we just met. But it feels longer. And we've shared so much with each other recently. I cannot think of anything ever being the same if I had never met you."

She smiled in return. Her cheek was wet from tears, but he wiped them away with his thumbs.

"I love you, Aleia," Auro said, cupping her cheeks.

"I love you, Auro."

He smirked and leaned down to kiss her.

***

Ruperto chuckled as he won a sparring match against Inanis. Ronell and Spiris watched from the sidelines. Kinasha also watched. But her mind was not on the match. She felt uneasy, not safe. As though someone was watching her from the shadows. Every which way she turned, she thought she could see a pair of eyes staring at her. But then she would blink and they disappeared.

"Nasha?"

She looked up when Inanis called her by the nickname. She sighed and entered his embrace, letting the sense of safety with him fill her being.

"What's wrong?" he asked, touching her chin and tipping her head back to see her face. "Why is there fear in your eyes?"

"Danger lurks in the shadows," Kinasha replied and her lip trembled. "He is watching me. Everywhere I look, he is there. Watching. Waiting."

"Show me."

She inhaled sharply, but nodded and reached up to press her fingers to his temples. She closed her eyes and visualized the thought for Inanis to see in his mind. He gasped and his arms tightened around the girl he held.

"I won't let him take you," Inanis said, shaking his head. "I swear it. He cannot have you. Come."

Without saying what he was doing, or where they were going, Inanis led Kinasha away from the sparring arena.