~ 8 ~

"Why not seek a warlock to create a portal?" Soile asked as the party climbed into the vehicle Lord Brun brought from Earth. "Wouldn't that be faster?"

"And more dangerous," Auro replied as he secured the supplies to the back with the Howlers. "It would mean revealing the bunker's location unnecessarily. It is meant to be secret from anyone who does not need to be there. And the only way to get there is to have been there before."

Luminus and Stratos glanced at each other and shrugged. They were not about to question their prince. Aleia sat in the back of the cab, clutching her pack to her chest, hoping Auro would sit in the back with her. She didn't feel too comfortable around Soile or Stratos yet.

"Why are you sitting there?" Auro asked, poking his head into the cab. "You're up front with me. Luminus, Stratos and Soile are riding back here."

He took her pack away and waited for her to climb out. He then opened the door to the front for her and placed the pack on the floor in front of the seat. When Aleia hesitated, his brow furrowed.

"What's wrong?" Auro asked, lowering his voice as he glanced over her shoulder.

"Your friends," she replied, pointing a thumb in their direction. "I don't know how I feel about them yet."

"You'll warm up to them," he said, nodding as he motioned to the cab of the vehicle. "Hop in."

Aleia nodded and as she passed him, he whispered to her.

"If they bother you at all, tell me. I'll set them straight."

Her breath caught in her throat from his proximity. She chose to ignore it and quickly climbed into the front of the truck's cab. Auro closed the door, locking eyes with Aleia before walking to the back. Her eyes trailed him as he checked the Howlers and the supplies in the truck bed. He then said something to his three friends before rounding to the driver's side of the vehicle.

"Do you know how to drive?" Aleia asked; Stratos, Soile and Luminus all climbed into the back.

"Of course," Auro replied, clicking his seatbelt in place. "Really well, in fact. Not being overly confident. It's the truth."

Aleia smiled, "I'll believe when I see it."

Auro cracked a smile. It was beginning to be a habit, and Aleia liked it. He turned the key and the engine was brought to life. Soile and Stratos hollered cheers. Luminus muttered something about his companions being idiots. Which caused Aleia to snicker.

Sometime later, Auro turned the truck down a forest-lined path. Or was it an actual? Aleia didn't pay much attention. Her mind was on something else. Something she had thought about when she woke up but didn't realize it would creep up on her again.

"Ruperto," she mumbled, wondering how her step-brother was doing.

"What'd you say?" Auro asked, glancing at her for the briefest second before looking back to where he was taking the truck.

"My stepmother mistreats one of her sons," Aleia replied solemnly. "I've never done anything about it and now I'm not there to change that."

"I'm sure your father will do something about it."

"Yeah, but Athena . . . Azris, she is the one he goes to for comfort. With her here, who can he go to?"

"We can send Azris once we reach the bunker."

"Or," Stratos leaned his head forward and looked between Aleia and Auro. "We can portal him here."

"We don't have any warlocks coming with us," Auro reprimanded, rolling his eyes. "And as I said before, to create a por-"

"Yes, I know. But Azris and Askan know how to find open portals, correct?"

Aleia glanced at Auro. He was thoughtful, but she could tell he didn't want to risk it.

Ruperto will be fine.

The voice filled Aleia's mind, and she could have sworn Azris was talking to her from the truck-bed.

Aleia, Ruperto is strong. He just needs to tap into that strength.

"How are you in my head?" Aleia whispered, looking into the mirror outside her window. She could see Azris look at her.

It was only a matter of time before you received the ability, my lady.

"Why 'my lady'?"

You can speak with your thoughts, as your father can.

Aleia hesitated, but decided it was better than having a repeat of people hearing her whispering to herself or talking to animals. Except, Auro had been speaking to his familiar, Flayke. She was in good company.

I still feel bad for Ruperto.

There is no need. If there were the reason to worry, your father would have done something already.

I suppose, but he looked so hurt the other night.

You may mention it to your father.

Aleia sighed and leaned her elbow on the armrest, supporting her chin.

"It's going to be alright," Auro said in a comforting tone. "Aleia, everything will be alright. Even your stepbrother. Once this is all over, your father will make sure he is safe."

"Yeah, Azris just said the same."

The truck came to a terrifying halt. Auro pulled the brakes and turned to Aleia.

"You got the telepathy?" he asked, his calm demeanor grew excited. "Not even here a week, and your abilities are manifesting. This is rich."

"I'm manifesting?" Aleia asked, her voice growing soft.

"Not the kind you're thinking. Everyone reacts to this dimension differently. Telepathy and telekinesis, - yes, those are real abilities and not stories, - everyone can do it. Mostly everyone. Some people take many Earth months before they start hearing thoughts in their head."

Aleia gasped when she saw Auro's eyes become a deep vermilion color. A mixture of red and orange. They reflected his enthusiasm. His excitement. She then realized she was staring, but there was no covering it up now.

"What?" he raised a questioning eyebrow.

"Your eyes," she replied, but before she could say more, Auro had turned and adjusted the rearview mirror to look at his reflection.

"Interesting," Auro said, fixing the mirror and starting the truck again. "That's very interesting."

The conversation dropped and Aleia wondered what he was thinking. He had told her that his eyes had only changed to crimson when he was angry. Now they were changing to more colors. Was he silently freaking out? Or was he wondering what other colors his eyes could change to . . . Like she was.