~ 37 ~

Auro and Aleia stood before the vast army, under the control of Anaemis. The King was behind them, and behind him was the Anerathian army. Antesro growled at Aleia's side. His yellow eyes glowing as he watched the enemy.

"Easy, Antesro," she whispered, rubbing behind his left ear. "Unless I say so, do not attack."

Yes, mistress, he replied telepathically.

King Azure stepped forward. Some guards went to move with him, but he motioned for them to remain.

"Anaemis!" he called across the valley. "I come with intentions of peace. Have your men lower their weapons."

"You come with intentions of peace!?" the man roared his anger more than visible to all who stood there. "Anerathia is on the brink of desolation because of your ignorance! The Spirit Queen has fallen to the wrong hands!"

"The Spirit Queen chose her Host with great care," the King countered coolly. "Had she chosen the Host of your choosing, she would not have called out to the Daughter of Emberhand."

He extended his hand to Aleia. She glanced at Auro, who nodded. She stepped forward after taking a breath. Antesro did not follow. Aleia was telling him to stay near Auro.

"Meet me halfway," the King went on as Aleia took his hand. "One of your men may accompany you. However, you must leave all weapons behind. The use of Elemental skills shall be prohibited."

From afar, Aleia saw Anaemis motion to a young man. At his side was a young girl. He shook his head and said something that took Anaemis aback.

"My young friend will only join if his friend may be present," he called out, motioning to the young girl.

The King looked at Aleia. "What do you think?" he asked.

"She's so young," the girl replied softly. "Um . . . One moment."

Aleia sent a small projection to the girl. And she heard her silent cry.

Abrus will help me escape. Abrus is trying to keep me safe.

"Let them," she said, looking up at the King. "The boy is trying to protect her."

"Then choose someone else to join us," he replied, nodding.

"Inanis," Aleia looked over her shoulder to him.

He stepped forward with hesitant steps. And then he stood at Aleia's side.

"The girl may accompany you," the King said, turning back to Anaemis. "We shall bring one more of our own."

They began to move forward, to the center of the valley. Aleia exhaled softly. She felt calm, knowing that both the King and Inanis were with her. Though she wished Auro could be at her side, holding her hand.

As they drew nearer, Aleia could hear both the girl's and the young man's thoughts. The boy was trying to think of an escape or at least a way to plead with the King to spare their lives. It was heartbreaking. Aleia felt compelled to find a way to give them the mercy they deserved.

"So young," Anaemis said, his eyes never leaving Aleia when they met a few feet away. "My Queen, I've failed you."

"My call was not meant for you," Aleia replied, only wasn't Aleia. She felt the Queen's soul take over her voice.

"If it weren't meant for me, I would not have heard it!"

The Queen fell silent, and Aleia felt control of her voice once more. She knew why the Queen did not respond. There was no sense in arguing.

"You've turned against me, Inanis," Anaemis went on, looking to Aleia's companion. "A mistake. You belong on my side. These people will never accept what you are. Rejoin me, son."

Though he was not touching her, Aleia felt Inanis stiffen. Without looking away from the terrible man, she reached for her friend's hand and squeezed. When he squeezed back, she knew he was still with them.

"I am accepted," Inanis spoke smooth and firm. "My abilities might have been a curse . . . But I can use them for good. And you will never get in my head again."

Anaemis was almost impressed. But he turned his attention back to Aleia.

"You look just like your mother," he said, catching her completely off guard. "Dear to me, she was. Too bad you never truly knew her."

It took all of Aleia's might not to scream. How dare he speak about her mother like that.

"My poor sister," the man went on, shaking his head.

"That's enough," the King scolded, and there was a flash of light. "Leave peacefully, and the lives of your men shall be spared."

Aleia noticed the hopeful look in the girl's eyes as she looked up at the young man, Abrus.

"If I may," the young man spoke up, flinching when Anaemis glared at him.

"Yes?" the King was gentle as he spoke now.

"Purety is young," he said, his shoulder squaring as his courage rose. "If taught properly, she can live without fear. Take her, please."

The boy gave the girl a gentle push forward. Anaemis was scowling.

"How dare you . . ." he mumbled, but he did not move from where he stood.

"Purety," Aleia said, extending her hand. "Where is your family?"

Tears welled in the girl's eyes as she shook her head.

"She is under my tutelage," Anaemis replied smugly.

"Not anymore," she said, stepping towards the little girl. "Purety, if I promise to teach you what is good, will you come with me?"

"Please," the girl whispered, looking up at Abrus. "But what about him?"

"My path is set," he said, stopping to hug the girl close. "If I am lucky, I will see you again."

"Abrus," Aleia said as he stood again.

"She is what matters," he cut her off, shaking his head.

She didn't understand why he didn't want to escape as well. But then, without her making the attempt, she heard Abrus' thoughts in her head.

You need someone on this side.