~ 25 ~

Aleia grunted as she fell to the floor of the sparring arena. She panted as she pushed herself up and faced Auro.

"Again," he said, stretching his palm forward and creating a sphere of ice in the space between them. "Forge your flame as though your life depended on it."

She nodded and held her palm upwards. She moved her fingertips in a way that made her fire move like feathers, dancing in the wind. She turned her palm and sent the flames toward the ice. They crackled and fizzled. And went out.

"You're already so much stronger than I am," Aleia complained in frustration. "You've been studying for this your entire life. I'm so behind."

Auro smiled, "You're doing fine," he said, coming towards her and placing his hands on her shoulders. "And you're not alone. You have me and your father, and the wisdom of the Spirit Queen to help you progress."

"I bet you're wishing your future queen had better control of her abilities."

"Hey, none of that. You could be a girl who lived in the slums and I wouldn't care. You're brilliant, Aleia. You just need more practice."

Auro kissed Aleia softly and stepped back. Aleia, blushing and feeling as if she smiled like an idiot, nodded. They decided they needed a break and went to go find her stepbrothers.

Ruperto was hanging out with Inanis and Kinasha. Aleia was happy to see that he'd been able to find where he fit in while in Anerathia. He smiled at her when he noticed she had entered the courtyard with Auro.

"You look like you just unloaded a heap of frustration," he joked as she sat beside him on the soft grass.

"I kinda did," she replied with a huff. "I just can't seem to get my flames to hold their shape long enough to melt Auro's ice spheres."

"Sis, I'm sure you'll get it right. You're smart."

Aleia blinked and looked at him with a funny expression.

"What?" Ruperto backed up an inch or two with a confused gaze. "Did Inanis make Kinasha drip something on my head again?"

"You called me 'Sis'," Aleia said, shoving his shoulder.

Inanis laughed, and it startled Aleia. In the last twenty-four hours, he'd been so different, compared to when he'd appeared in the cave with her father. More so with Kinasha now with them.

"What?" Inanis asked when he caught her looking at him.

"You said you would explain," she replied, narrowing her eyes.

He sighed, "Prince Auro?"

"You did say you'd explain," Auro grinned, shaking his head. "I can't get you out of that one."

"Explain what exactly?" Kinasha asked, crossing her arms as she looked up at Inanis.

"Nothing you don't already know," Inanis rolled his eyes and motioned for Aleia to follow. "We'll be over here. Continue your debate."

Aleia had to sprint into order to keep up with him. Inanis lead her to a window. One that looked out on the entire town that surrounded the palace, and beyond. For a moment, he did nothing but stare at the scene. And he looked peaceful.

"You should consider looking like that more often," Aleia said, smiling. "At ease."

"It's because I'm finally accepted," he explained, resting his arms on the window sill. "It started with you, and to think you were a little scared of me at the start."

"I thought we'd already established that I was a little frightened."

The joke brought a smile to Inanis' face and he chuckled.

"We did," he said, nodding. "But I am going to be holding that over your head for the rest our days . . . Have you heard anyone mention Glint?"

Aleia shook her head. Inanis sighed and nodded.

"She was my sister," he began, clearing his throat. "Spiris and I were older, but she was our best friend. After her death, which had been caused by my Manifestation . . . Your father had his hands full with pupils, so I studied under one of the other Masters for a while. None of them could teach my ability. Spiris manifested and they brought him to study with me."

"And being the only one with deadly powers made you feel different?"

Inanis held Aleia's gaze.

"My parents were the ones who made me feel different. They put all the blame on my shoulders . . . for Glint's death."

He began to get choked up as he looked away. Aleia stepped closer and placed her hand on his shoulder.

How did you meet Kinasha?

She sent the thought to his mind, wanting to give him an out from talking about his sister. It was clear Inanis wasn't given a chance to properly grieve.

"When I ran away," he said, clearing his throat. "I entered her shop and . . . Anaemis was there. He'd already been exiled but was trying to recruit people to his side. He saw me and immediately knew what I could do. He got into my head and had me believing I wasn't wanted anywhere else. Later, I brought Spiris. Life and Death from a simple thought or touch of the hand . . . Kinasha and I became close. But I know it was more on my side of the friendship. And everytime she would give a little, she'd take it away again, with interest."

"Did you ever get as far as to telling her that you felt that one?" Aleia asked, thoroughly invested in the story.

"I did," Inanis replied, nodding with a sigh. "There was something there for a time, but then we sort of fought shortly before Anaemis took us to attack your father on Earth."

"I guess that would explain why she has been keeping distance between the two of you."

"It would . . . Why are you so curious? Why listen to to my woes?"

The two exchange an amused smile.

"That's just how I am," she said, smiling more. "Plus, it's helping me to understand more about the people I'm needing to trust with my life."

Inanis smiled, "Thanks."

"For?"

"For wanting to listen."