~ 50 ~

Auro grew impatient in his worry

Auro grew impatient in his worry. His father had yet to give the order to form a search party. He wondered if the king was truly worried, or if he merely wanted to appease his son. Though Auro felt the latter was highly unlikely, he still felt he could not just sit in the palace while Aleia was somewhere being held captive by a man he knew would eventually kill her. Kill the girl he loved to get his way.

Aleia is well.

"Who speaks?" Auro asked, glancing around his sleeping quarters.

It is I, Utmjir.

"Oh, I thought you'd grown silent."

For a time, my silence was necessary. However, the time has come where my words shall be of benefit to you.

"What do you have to say to me?" Auro sat straighter in his bed.

Your worry shall benefit no one, the King of Peace replied. And while you may think your father does not care as much as you, you are wrong.

The prince sighed and hung his head as he whispered, "But he hasn't made any preparations to even begin looking for her."

He has, but is waiting for the proper moment to tell you. Though my time has long since passed, I do know what you are feeling in this moment.

Auro became silent as he sensed the King's sentiments of forlorn. Such sorrow filled his mind, heart and soul. Even though it was not his own.

***

"You're truly my mother?" Aleia asked, tears in her eyes. "Why did you even leave? Dad had to marry a terrible woman."

Alessa frowned, "It was time to return to Anerathia," she replied, bringing the girl into her embrace. "You were a baby, and I could not risk bringing you. As for your father, his actions were well-intended. But he could not have known that woman would turn into someone else. But there was good that came out of that union. Was there not?"

The girl sniffled and nodded.

"Yes. There was some good. Ronell and Ruperto have turned into wonderful friends. I'm lucky to have them as step brothers."

"Yes, and through your hardships, you've gained strength and you are hardworking."

Aleia nodded as she pulled away to look at the woman she now knew was her mother. And she realized she knew it all along. Because Alessa's eyes reminded Aleia of her own. And her hair was not quite the same, it was long and wavy.

"You're very pretty," Aleia said, laughing softly.

Alessa laughed, "Thank you," she replied, running her hand over the girl's hair. "You are every bit as lovely, as well."

The girl then began to frown and turned away.

"What grieves you?"

Aleia sighed and her lip quivered.

"I'm sorry for not keeping you in my heart," she whispered, "For not asking Dad more about you."

"Sweetheart," her mother said, "There is nothing to apologize for. You could hardly remember me, you were so young when I left."

"But he didn't remarry until I was a little older. And he has been with her every since. Why does he stay with her?"

"He is Anerathian-born. He was raised to know that marriage is for life. Should one's spouse perish, that person is allowed to decide for themself if they will remarry or not. Your father chose to remarry because he thought that was best for your sake. And he loves with all his heart. He takes them with their faults and loves them despite their flaws."

Aleia sighed, "Yep, that's my dad . . ."

She trailed off. The impending thought of what awaited her when she went back.

***

Inanis sighed as he and Kinasha sat in the courtyard. It was late. The sky was dark, allowing only the light of torches to shine around. They were mostly alone, but the king had increased the guard, so they were around.

"Inanis?"

The pair looked up and found the Prince coming towards them. It was evident that he was not sleeping well. There are dark circles under his eyes. And they were a sad shade of dark brown, almost black.

"I must ask a favor of you," Auro said in a low, distressed tone. "I know you do not wish it, but if when we find Aleia something must be done about Anaemis. If he is not dealt with, he will continue to terrorize Anerathia . . . I don't know what we will find, but I want to be prepared for all probable scenarios."

"You have my loyalty," Inanis replied, standing and putting out his hand. "And my abilities."

The prince nodded and took his friend's hand, "Thank you. I know you said you don't want to be used in this manner, bu-"

"If it involves Aleia's safety, you needn't worry about my preference."

Kinasha stood and joined them.

"How are you really?" she asked with caution.

"I've never felt such loss prior to this," Auro replied, shaking his head. "But Utmjir suffered far worse. Aleia is merely taken captive and will certainly be found. But Utmjir . . . He lost his beloved. I cannot look at this as I have. This is an issue that can be resolved in due course."

Inanis nodded and said, "Then when you are ready, I will stand with you."

"As will I," Kinasha added, touching Auro's shoulder.

"Thank you," the prince whispered, exhaling softly. "I truly appreciate the bonds we've made through all of this."