~ 61 ~

Aleia had never been so nervous in her life

Aleia had never been so nervous in her life. She'd never had such an important role to play before. She was standing at the front of the throne room, next to Auro's parents and the priest. Her task was so simple. All she had to do was place the crown jewels into Auro's hands before the priest placed the crown on his head.

The band was playing. Somewhere in the lower parts of the kingdom, church bells were ringing. There were children playing. People laughing. But Aleia was still so nervous.

What am I so nervous about? she thought.

Auro is becoming king, someone replied, causing Aleia to glance around with her eyes. Her gaze fell on Inanis, who was standing almost at the back of the room. Glint and Kinasha were with him. She didn't understand why they were so far away. Everyone else was seated near the front.

Why are you all the way over there? Aleia asked him.

I'm leaving, Inanis replied with a sad smile. I came to say goodbye.

You can't leave! We need you here.

Only for a while. I have some matters to which I must make amends. I will return before you know it. You have my word, Princess.

Aleia sighed, trying her best not lose her cool. She nodded and was mirrored by her friend. Inanis' smile changed into one of mischief. She watched as he took both Glint and Kinasha by the hand. And they disappeared.

"All rise for his highness, Prince Auro!"

Aleia turned her gaze to the door, which was at the end of the aisle. People rose from their chairs and turned to the door. A smile spread across Aleia's face when Auro appeared. Adorned in the long, royal blue mantle. All of her nerves went away when her eyes locked with his, and his smile awoke the butterflies in her stomach.

The ceremony went on smoothly. When it came time for Aleia to do her part, she stood tall. She wore a strong smile as she took the royal orb from the carrier, and held it up high for every person to see. She placed it in Auro's left hand. The priest spoke the importance of the item as she did this.

Aleia then took the scepter and showed it everyone present. Her smile grew as she handed it to Auro. He smirked, to which she narrowed her eyes. She then took a step back as the king came and kneeled at Auro's feet. The priest removed his crown and held it high.

"Auro of Snowvale," the man said, "You have been found worthy of the crown. May the stars shine upon you and may you rule your people with the wisdom of your forefathers."

The crown was then placed on Auro's head. Every man, woman, and child in the place cheered as they jumped to their feet.

"Long live the king!" they all shouted. Auro stood and stepped forward. The guards raised their swords in salute. Aleia bowed, as did everyone else. Auro was now king over all Anerathia.

***

Aleia laughed as Auro spun her around. Joyful music played. People danced and were merry. It was truly a wonderful evening.

"You make that crown look good," Aleia teased as he pulled her close.

Auro scoffed, "Oh. And here I was thinking it made me look more handsome."

"Pfft! Sure you would think that. Don't let it go to your head."

They laughed and spun again. And again. And again. They danced and spun until they were dizzy and giddy. The event was a success. Everything was peaceful and joyous. With the exception of a single thought in Aleia's mind.

"Did he say goodbye to you?" she asked Auro as they sat for a rest.

"No," he replied, squeezing her hand. "Inanis was more your friend than mine. I'm glad he at least said it to you."

"I hope he comes back soon. He's not troubled anymore, but I feel like he still needs us. The people he can trust, you know?"

"Mm-hmm, I agree. But let's not be sad over it. He promised you that he would be back. He's a man of his word, and Glint will certainly hold him to it. You can count on that."

His words brought a smile to Aleia's face.

***

Auro's duties as king were many. He was glad to have both his parents at his side, to guide him and counsel him in making the correct choices. What made his days worthwhile were the moments he stole with Aleia. Their engagement would last another year before any such wedding arrangements were made.

Auro made certain the kingdom had all the necessary provisions. He didn't want the people to suffer from hunger or lack of a place to sleep at night. One of his first decrees was that a facility should be built to shelter anyone who did not have a home. The people who would be working there would also help feed the ones who couldn't afford very much.

Auro was a wise and thoughtful king. Very much like his father. Now and then, he would think of King Utmjir. Who sometimes appeared in his mind when he needed a different kind of counsel. He didn't have any sort of explanation for wanting to speak with the spirit-king. He just did.

"I love having the privilege of calling this place my home," Aleia said one night as the two stared out at the night sky. "Earth what?"

Auro chuckled, "You were always meant to be here, Aleia. Both of your parents were Anerathian. That makes you an Anerathian. Prophecy or not, I wouldn't want this moment to be any other way."

The two shared a smile as the young king leaned in. He kissed his future bride softly. Tenderly. When he pulled away, he saw the brilliant flames in Aleia's eyes. He smiled and snapped his fingers together. Flurries began to fall all around them.

"You've been taking notes, I see," she whispered, wrapping her arms around his neck, and kissing him again.