~ 55 ~

Aleia couldn't stop grinning at the look on Auro's face

Aleia couldn't stop grinning at the look on Auro's face. It was obvious he didn't recognize her at first. But he definitely recognized her now.

"Are you real?" he asked as she took his hand. His voice grew soft and he stood so close to her that their noses could almost touch. Almost.

"Should I pinch you to prove reality?" Aleia teased, tapping the tips of her thumb and index fingers together.

"It couldn't hurt," the Prince replied, still speaking softly.

She raised an eyebrow and went to gently pinch his cheek. Auro closed his eyes and sighed. A moment later, he was leading her to away from the guests and out of the ballroom. He pulled her down a long hallway. Aleia soon recognized it to be the very one they'd walked when they'd first arrived in Anerathia. But Auro didn't lead her to the office or the closet they'd arrived in. He took her through the entire palace to his bedroom. She'd never been there before.

"How?!"

Auro turned around with tears in his eyes. And for the first time since she'd met him, Aleia noticed how Auro's eyes were a deep shade of blue.

"My mother wanted to know me a little bit before I came back," she said with a soft smile. "And a lot was going on with Anaemis . . . Did you sense his banishment?"

"That's not what I want to talk about right now," he shook his head while grabbing her hands into his own. "I want to know how you were dragged to father-knows-where by Anaemis and came back unharmed."

Aleia pressed her lips to Auro's to make him stop talking. Some things were meant to remain a mystery.

***

When people had begun to realize the Prince's beloved had returned, everyone felt they now had a true reason for celebration. The ball went on for several days. No one wanted to leave. However, when everyone did return to the comfort of their homes, the joy remained within their hearts.

Auro was overwhelmed. Too overwhelmed to sleep. He couldn't bring himself to leave Aleia's side, resulting in him deciding to stay in her room for the night. She had nothing to protest.

"I wouldn't have thought you were a cuddle-bug," she whispered humorously.

"Stop it," Auro muttered as he held her to his chest in the darkness; however, he could not hold back the chuckles.

The pair shared a laugh for a moment. But they must've been louder than they thought, because there was a gentle knock at the door. Neither wanted to get up. Auro made Aleia promise that she wouldn't move. She rolled her eyes, but agreed and sent him to see who was visiting them so late.

"Glint?" he said when he found the girl in the hall with her brother.

"We can't sleep," she said with a grin that appeared to be more of a grimace. "Is Aleia still awake?"

"Yeah," Auro glanced into the room behind him.

He sent Aleia a mental message, asking if she minded the intrusion. She then repeated the question to him.

You just seem like you want me all to yourself right now.

That is the case, silly.

Then let them in for a little while and then we'll kick them out.

"Enter at your own risk," he said to their friends.

Glint beamed and quickly ran passed him. Inanis was hesitant, however.

"I tried to tell her," he said to Auro with a shrug.

"No harm done," the Prince replied motioning for him to enter. "She's your friend too."

Inanis nodded and entered the room. Auro closed the door and returned to the bed. Glint had already made herself comfortable at the foot of the bed. Aleia smiled at Auro and motioned for him to return to his spot next to her. His heart swelled in his chest as he did.

"Auro was quite the miserable bunch in your absence," Inanis teased, earning a slap from his sister. "Oof! Glint, I have no memory of you being so abusive. What is with you?"

Glint slapped him again. The sight shocked and puzzled the prince.

"Alright, that's it. I'm taking you elsewhere."

Inanis got up and threw his sister over his shoulder. Glint squealed, and it was obviously what she wanted her brother to do because she sent a smile to Auro and Aleia right before the two disappeared through a portal.

Aleia was laughing, which made Auro grin and shake his head.

"I'm glad they can be free like that," she said as the pair returned to sitting in the bed beside each other. "Inanis needed healing."

"Mhm . . ."

Auro was barely listening. He was simply enamored by the beautiful girl before him. The days she wasn't with him had brought him misery. Having her with him again was everything to him.

"We should try to sleep," Aleia said with a smile and a yawn. "Tomorrow starts all those . . . preparations."

"Mhm," Auro grunted as he pulled the girl to his chest. "Sweet dream, Aleia."

She snuggled as close as she could. Sleep soon took her, but Auro stayed awake. He watched with tenderness. And when sleep did come to him, he muttered that he loved her with his entire being.