~ 39 ~

The entire army stood at the ready. The young Elementals were lined up. The King before them with Emberhand to his right. Aleia and Auro were at the center. Flayke perched on Auro's shoulder; Antesro at Aleia's side. They watched and they waited.

"Why hasn't he done anything yet?" Aleia asked, leaning towards Auro.

"He wants to wage war," he replied, shrugging. "He must make the first attack. The first blow must come from him. We do not attack unless fired upon first."

"That's not what I asked."

"I don't have an answer. Sorry."

They exchanged a smile and reached for each other's hand. But the moment disappeared.

There came shouting of commands from the opposite side of the valley. Anaemis' voice was unmistakable. There was a loud cracking. A whistle. And then there was a stream of fire and smoke. Sailing through the air.

"Take cover!" the King shouted as the warlocks came to their aid. Fourteen of the most brilliant spell-casters. They created magical barriers in the air. High enough to keep the attacks from hurting anyone, but low enough that it would not put a strain on their powers.

"Remember what we practiced," Auro said, squeezing Aleia's hand briefly. "Send them to their deaths."

She grinned, "I thought you'd never ask," she replied as flames erupted from her palms. "Kinasha!"

Kinasha held her hands to the air. As quickly as her powers allowed, she sent the fireballs towards the enemy. Aleia threw flame after flame. As far as her arms could throw.

Inanis stepped forward and extended his palm. He closed his eyes and envisioned what Anaemis' army looked like. He could only take so many souls at a time. Anaemis' numbers were many. More than anyone could count. But Inanis would do what he could. Their deaths would not make him turn to the darkness.

"Arcano," Lumen said, unsheathing his sword.

The young warlock grinned and snapped his fingers. Lumen disappeared. And then he was back with the head of an enemy soldier.

"They put up quite a fight?" Ronell asked as he stood next to Lumen. "Buddy, send me too."

Lumen placed his hand on the fool's shoulder. Arcano snapped his fingers again. And again. Ruperto tossed a cloak over his brother's head during the third transport. It was similar to his own, and he thought it might come in handy.

Auro stood beside his father as they both raised a fist to the sky. The clouds swirled and blackened. No longer were they white, but dark like an abyss. They flew towards Anaemis and his army. Stones of ice began to fall. The armies yelled their war-cry but did not retreat.

***

"Fools!" Anaemis yelled as his soldiers. "Abrus! The shield!"

"I haven't learned to make one yet!" he shouted back, clenching his fists. "Have one of the other warlocks create one!"

The man's eyes turned to the boy. They were black. Abrus began to retreat. He tripped and fell backward. His eyes closed and he held up his hand. As if to stop whatever attack might come. But nothing happened.

Abrus opened his eyes and found a pair of black eyes staring at him from behind orange spectacles.

"Who are you?" he asked the girl offering him her hand.

"Does it matter?" she countered with a gentle smile. "I just saved your life. I need your help."

At first, Aubrus thought he might have met the stranger before. It was uncanny how familiar her eyes were to him. But then, he knew he would have remembered someone so beautiful.

"What do you need me for?" he asked, letting the girl pull him to his feet.

"Teach me to create a stronger portal," she replied, snapping her fingers and conjuring a portal behind her, but it closed immediately. "And choose a side."

***

The attacks continued, but the protective shield was doing its job and holding all danger away from them. Aleia huddled next to Auro. Inanis and Kinasha sat near them. Spiris, Stratos and Ashe were just across from them.

"I feel like she should have been here by now," Aleia whispered as Auro rubbed her back softly. "I just have this feeling that everything will be fine once she shows up. I don't know why."

"Who exactly?" he asked, hugging her closer when the shield groaned right above them.

"Twileigh; if that is even her name. That's what she told Spiris. Her soul was wandering in Vyoria. Spiris was able to take hold of her and bring her back to the palace."

"And then placed her soul into Lustris' body. A disturbing thought."

Aleia looked up at him. "Disturbing, but she won't be Lustris. Her appearance changed when Twileigh's soul entered the empty body."

"I've never heard of that happening before," Auro said, touching her cheek. "Did she look Anerathian?"

"More like a Greek goddess in human form," Aleia replied, laughing softly. "But I don't think it makes much of a difference. All of you look like you're from the other world. Just more . . . beautiful."

"You're beautiful."

The shield groaned again, and Aleia held tighter to Auro's waist. The war was far from being over.