~ 14 ~

"Lumin was my best friend.," Auro explained, sighing while gaging Aleia's reactions. "But Lusie . . . Lustris and I were always close. I liked her from afar, but I never thought more of it because I didn't think she felt the same. Your father took on many students at the time. And as Prince, I was required to attend. Lustris and I grew even closer. We studied together. Most of the time, Lumin was paired with us too, but the times we were alone were . . . like gold. Precious because the times were so rare.

"One day, I found a note from her. She wanted me to meet her somewhere and I was eager for it. We didn't meet anywhere secret, but it felt that way. Lustris and Lumin were born into a family that has been close to the royal family for decades. At the time, I didn't know if I was allowed to look out for . . . I didn't think I was allowed to fall in love with someone my parents hadn't chosen for me. But as time went on, Lustris and I grew more fond of each other. And my parents were overjoyed. Everyone said we were the perfect match.

"But then . . ." Auro moved his gaze to a different part of the library. "Lustris and Lumin manifested their abilities. They advanced quickly, promoted to the Elemental Guard. Your father then decided to work with me more closely and . . . One day, a Warlock and his wife came to watch one of my lessons. The wife saw something in her third eye. Prophesied my future. It changed me, my view of my life as Prince of Anerathia. We met with my parents and the Warlock's wife retold what she had seen.

"The entire kingdom was told this prophecy. And, though I did not think much of it until after the fact, Lustris was not very happy about it."

"Because it meant the two of you were not meant to be?" Aleia asked, tilting her head while watching the Prince.

"Yes," he replied, shrugging as he turned his gaze back to hers. "But at the time, I thought it was her. The girl in the prophecy. That is, until I started having dreams about Lustris turning against me and faceless girl I was trying to protect from her. I didn't know what to think of that. And then, Lusie did turn on me, and she ended everything. If she had come back, asking me to forgive her, I would have taken her back. But she never did."

His sigh was heavy, but he did not look away from Aleia. She reached over and gave his hand a squeeze. He smiled in return, and squeezed back.

"Will I get to know what this prophecy is?" she whispered, as if worried she were treading thin ice.

"I will have to tell you," he whispered back, covering her hand with both of his. "And I will, but for now . . . You should know that laying my eyes on you had nothing to do with it. The connection came after meeting you."

Not knowing what to say to that, Aleia merely nodded. They turned back to their reading, except Auro kept peeking at her over his book. How would she react when he did tell her about the prophecy? When he told her they would become betrothed.

***

"You could have told us that we were coming to Drid Cavity," Lumin grunted as he and Auro sparred. "Everyone knows of the bunker, and everyone knows of Drid Cavity."

"But no one would ever make the connection," Auro replied, panting hard as he countered the blow. "That was the point. Which is why I said 'you can only get there if you've been there before.' And Lord Brun told me how I was to get here."

"Mm-hmm . . . Did you tell Aleia?"

"Tell her what?"

Lumin sighed and stopped the spar.

"The prophecy," he said, panting heavily as they both tried to catch their breath. "Did you tell her of the prophecy?"

Auro rolled his eyes, "I was getting to it," he said, shaking his head. "I vaguely explained what happened between me and your sister . . . She's the curious sort."

"I find that a quality that's good for you. You've opened up to her, you know? Not entirely, which is obvious. But you know what I mean."

"I fail to see how you find that relevant."

"In any case . . . It's nice to see you happy, again."

Auro looked at his friend a moment. Lumin had sided with Auro when Lusie ended their relationship. Auro knew it had been a difficult choice, but Lusie was still Lumin's twin. They were bound by blood. For Lumin to support him over his sister . . .

"What my sister did to you is unforgivable," Lumin went on, his tone became more gentle. "You couldn't have known anything would change, but you were not letting it affect the relationship you had. Lusie let it change things. If she had been your sister and I was in your place, I would have run far away. Far enough to get away and find the happiness I thought I had with her. Something dark took over the sister I grew up with. She never should have done the things she did to you."

Auro nodded his appreciation, but he didn't know what he could say. The two wiped their brows and were heading back to the main room when Aurora and Aleia came through the halls.

"Auro!" she exclaimed, her eyes growing wide. "I've been looking for you everywhere, and . . . Lusie is here."

"She brought company," Aurora added, with an equally wide gaze. "Unwanted company."

Auro's expression grew annoyed. He took Aleia by the arm and pulled her behind him. He was about to say something to Lumin, but his friend spoke first.

"I'll go see what's up," Lumin said as he hurried away with Aurora.

Auro turned in the opposite direction, leading Aleia through the hallways and into what was a secret passage. He lit a torch and closed them into the rock walls.

"My dream is actually happening," Auro whispered, sliding against a wall to the floor. Aleia slid down beside him but said nothing.