~ 15 ~

Lord Brun shook his head in dismay as he looked at his pupil. He and the Twins stood at the front of their group. Lumin frowned at his sister, who stood in the center of the bunker with two young men, both tall and strongly built.

"Where is Auro?" Lusie asked with a partial scowl.

"That is none of your concern," her old teacher replied in calm. "You're not even supposed to be here."

"Because I wanted to kill the heir to Anerathia's throne?" The girl laughed as if she were mad. "I was under influence, if you could remember."

"Influence or not," Lumin said, crossing his arms over his broad chest. "You turned against our best friend. It's hard to believe he ever forgave you."

"Dear brother, I do believe you've gone soft. Per-Oh! No! Not only have you gone soft, but it must be that you've . . ." Lustris sighed and smile, propping her chin upon her wrist. "Dear, oh dear. Big brother's feelings are not reciprocated."

"You know better than to tease with such matters," his voice remained calm; however, his expression grew cross. "We both know where I stand in that area."

"Enough!" Lord Brun shouted; he stomped a foot, which sent out a large poof of snow, wind and smoke. "Lustris, as you former teacher and mentor, I command you to return to your post. You were lucky to have been granted even that."

Whilst he and everyone else were distracted with the intrusion, Auro and Aleia remained in the walls of the cavern. Auro worried, but Aleia seemed optimistic.

"I know you won't let her do anything," she said, nudging his shoulder with hers. "You've inherited quite amazing abilities."

He smiled bashfully, "Never," he said, nudging her back. "You'll never be left unprotected. Though I know you could handle yourself, more so now."

She blushed, "What are the odds of me manifesting the same moment as you?"

"Predictable, and I'll explain why. Now that we know you are, in fact, Anerathian-born, the time you spent away from Motherland caused your DNA and blood to forcefully pause your natural development. The moment your body entered the Aemienix Dimension, your subconscious mind recognized the familiarity, and immediately brought you back up to speed. Hence causing the manifestation to take place sooner than it would have, had you never left."
Having been distracted, Auro forgot about the current situation almost entirely. Aleia was smiling, listening intently. Every so often, she would move a rogue strand of hair out of her face, and he would pause to watch the movement.

"But why did you manifest when I did?" Aleia asked, after absorbing the explanation. "You've been here all your life. And I don't think your brief visit to Earth's dimension would have any effect on that."

"So inquisitive," Auro muttered with a crooked smile as he decided to handle the hair himself. "Well, the Prophecy might have something to do with it."

"Again with the Prophecy . . . You should tell me more about it. Like now, while we have the chance."

He sighed, nodding. "Quite so. You deserve to know." You deserve to know I will marry the girl I am now sworn to protect.

"Then get on it, Auro." Aleia spoke softly and leaned her head into his hand. "Your hands are really warm."

"Why didn't you say you were cold?" he asked when she shivered. "Here-" he pulled off his own jacket and wrapped it around her. "Can't have you freezing on me. Perhaps now would be a good time to practice your skills. You could warm us up."

"I could . . ." she trailed off.

"But you won't."

"Nope."

A deep chuckle rumbled in his chest.

"I don't mind."

The girl barely whispered, but Auro heard. He wrapped his arm around her shoulders and pulled her to his side.

"I don't mind either," he whispered back, touching her cheek as he turned her to look at him. "Is there anyone I should know about, back on Earth?"

"Anyone you should know about?" Aleia asked with a furrowed brow. "As in . . ."

"As in . . . Is there someone who might have had interest in you?"

"Oh." She blushed and shook her head. "No, there's no one. Any chance I had to make an impression on anybody was overshadowed by teasing from my stepbrothers or prevented by my stepmom."

"Hmm, that is not a shame."

"Why is that?"

Auro smiled and gently pulled Aleia towards him, and sat her in his lap. The weapon he had brought lay at his side, forgotten as he leaned his face closer to hers. And ever gently, pressed eager lips to hers. He pulled back and looked at the girl he held. Aleia's eyes were closed. Her cheeks were flushed. It was a beautiful sight. Auro went to lean in again. And again. This time, Aleia returned the gesture. Again, and again.

***

"It's been hours," Ronell complained, tossing a pebble at the stone wall. "How long do we have to stay here?"

"Until the Prince and his betrothed have surpassed the Manifestation," Lumin replied, slightly irritated at the very question.

"Have you not been listening?" Ruperto asked, standing over his brother. "We're here because our step-sister could be in danger."

"Not just in danger," Soile added, walking towards them. He had been securing a makeshift prison cell for Lusie, with the help of Spiris and Inanis.

"Aleia Emberhand, daughter of Lord Brun Emberhand, is the future queen of Anerathia."

Ronell and Ruperto were both stunned, but perhaps Ruperto took it better than his brother did. And as if by unspoken agreement, no one spoke further on the matter. Inwardly, Ronell was beating himself up. His brother noticed and led him to the side of the room.

"Talk to me," he said, keeping his voice low. "I've only ever seen you with that look when our dad left Mom."

"I feel like we could've been better stepbrothers," Ronell replied, shaking his head. "Well, more me than you."

"Yeah, we could've, but we didn't know any of this would happen. I'm sure Aleia would forgive you without question."

"What makes you so sure?"

Ruperto smiled and shrugged. "That's who she is. Even though we have treated her like crap, she still bothered to care about our dogs. Dogs that have more loyalty to her than they do to us."

"Dogs that are not actually dogs," Ronell chuckled. "It's hard to believe Apollo is actually some large Hound from another world."

"Yeah, but it's friggin' awesome, isn't it?" Ruperto asked, his question implied more.

"The Hounds or our step-sister about to marry a prince?"

"Both."

The brothers nodded and returned to the group.