3

That night was filled with sadness and grief, over the next few days, they had eaten away some of the sadness and were ready to get back on the road. They had packed backpacks upon backpacks of food and drinks.

The first few hours of nothing but locked house doors and fields had frightened them knowing that however much you barricade yourself in if you use electricity they can find you.

Most people probably didn't even know that and didn't even realize that if they keep using electricity their end is near. Each person was carrying two backpacks filled to the brim.

Even though Ethan had forgotten his glasses at the supermarket he still had pretty good vision, which he was thankful for.

When Josh thought of Lilly all he could think about was her beautiful black hair and the amazing way she could draw animals, he only wished he asked her out when he still could have.

Emily was used to being a leader so this wasn't any different, she loved the way her blonde curls would bounce whenever she got excited or really happy or would sag when she was sad. She missed the way she used to live when her only worry was whether she got her homework in on time.

They all missed their 16-year-old life.

"Hey, why don't we go get my car?" Zach asked bringing the group back into reality.

"I don't think it's a good idea, the faceless could track and kill us easier if we were all clumped together," Emily said

"Yeah I guess you're right," he said, looking rather gloomy.

The group of friends decided to stay at a gas station. It had a secure basement that they could lock themselves in and hope to be safe.

The whole night barely any of them could get any sleep.

"I wish I could get some makeup," Zoey complained.

"You could go get some if you want to be killed!" Emily said bluntly.

Over the course of 2 days, each member of their group had lost weight significantly, the food supply was running low and they would need to stop eating as much as they normally would.

"We need to get back to the supermarket, or somewhere with a good food supply," Emily said addressing the whole group

"Is it safe?" Zach asked

"You really think I know?" Emily snapped

"I'm sorry," Zach said.

When they finally decided to leave the old crusty gas station once again a surprise to the light and then the always on edge, just the little things in life that would terrify you more than the big things.

When the got to the supermarket they practically ran into its open doors. They gathered food and other supplies (cough cough Zoey cough cough).

Emily stumbled and almost fell. She looked down and saw a small box on the floor "Guys," she said "Come check this out." her friends came straight over.

"I wonder who put that their, nobody has really been out other than us I don't think," Zoey said, thinking out loud.

"On three, we should open it," Emily said

"One,"

"Two,"

"Three," she said lifting the lid of the box.

It was a piece of paper. Emily lifted it up and read it over, it was the legend except it looked torn.

"Check the back," Zoey said

"K," Emily said turning the paper over

Sure enough, there were words written on the back, "the forest is where you seek."

"Does anyone know what this means," Emily asked showing them what was written on the paper.

The rest of the group looked down they shrugged looking back at Emily.

"I think we might have to go to the Forest to save our world," Emily said thinking out loud.

"You really think so?" Zach asked

"Yes, I do think so," she said

By the next morning, they were all well rested and had gotten lots of food into their system.

"You ready?" Emily asked her friends as if they were going to go for an exam.

"I think so," they replied.

Emily took a deep breath and sighed.

She unlocked the cellar door and took another deep breath. Emily tried and tried again to calm down and not let her heart leap out of her chest, but no matter what nothing that she was trying was working.

When she opened the cellar door she gasped and quickly shut it again, a human was sitting their, although they didn't look alive.

"Umm guys, I think we have a problem," she said looking towards them

"What is it Em?" Ethan asked

"There's someone out there and I'm not sure if they're alive, or if they're dangerous," she said

At this point she was almost in tears, she couldn't control her breathing.

"Ahhh wow," Ethan yelled as he opened the cellar door.

"How are we supposed to get out?" Emily asked wiping away her tears.

"Did you keep the books from the library?" Zoey asked

"What do you think?"

"No, I'm sorry that I didn't know and that I'm a curious person." Zoey snapped back.

The whole group of friends was getting tense about being a dead or some sort body outside, also tense about the new creatures and how they barely know anything about them.

"If no one is going to leave and start our journey than I will." Zach piped up, breaking everyone's dreamlike states and movements.

"Okay, okay, well be up and ready in a few," Emily said wiping the tears from her eyes, at this point she didn't know what she was upset about.