Using Spells?

(Y/N) Pov

I fought the urge to simply put my head down on the table and curse, as I have been doing a lot lately, I sat up straight fighting the tiredness from my eyes.

Umbridge: Ordinary Wizarding Level examinations.
O-W-L-S. More commonly known as OWLs.

The way she was speaking was making the headache I got from the lack of sleep to worsen, and it really was making me want to rip her vocal cords out or you know just yell at her to speak normally, like why the heck does she talk like that cause it sure as hell doesn't make her voice sound better. I so want to hex Father for forgetting to inform me that he would be messing with Harry last night and making my filter and tolerance to anything that annoys me drop due to not having slept enough.

Umbridge: Study hard and you will be rewarded. Fail to do so, and the consequences may be severe.

She flicked her wand, making the stacks of books levitate and distribute themselves.

Umbridge: Your previous instruction in this subject has been disturbingly uneven.

When the book dropped on my desk I swear I had to read the cover twice to make sure I was reading it right. It said Dark Arts Defence Basics for Beginners, I opened the book and scoffed at the lack of content of spells and charms, I hoped to improve my knowledge of more advanced spells this year even though I can already cast most of them, in the end, this will be my most dreadful boring class, at least I have Lucius, Uncle, and Father teaching Draco and I everything we need to know and even things we don't need to know but want to.

Umbridge: But you'll be pleased to know from now on you will be following a carefully structured, Ministry-approved course of defensive magic. Yes?

Hermione: There's nothing in here about using defensive spells?

Umbridge: Using spells?

She gave an obnoxious and quite fake laugh, which made me roll my eyes.

(Y/N): Ah, I miss Professor Lupin. At least his classes were entertaining.

I hear a couple of people snicker at my words, clearly having said them louder than I intended to. I felt the eyes of the woman in pink on me as if trying to strangle me in her head.

Umbridge: Anything you want to share loudly with us, Miss Riddle?

(Y/N): Not particularly, Professor.

She gave another fake laugh, obviously not used to being talked back like that, but she just gritted her teeth and smiled.

Umbridge: Well, Miss Granger, I can't imagine why you would need to use spells in my classroom.

Blaise: We won't be using magic?

Umbridge: You will be learning about defensive spells in a secure, risk-free way.

(Y/N): I wonder what good will that do if we get attacked while walking alone.

Umbridge: Students will raise their hands when they speak in my class.

Her voice changed, and I couldn't help but smirk, she finally talked in her real voice, not that fake high-pitched, and calm tone, and all because she is being questioned by her students who are dead right in what they are saying. She walked away from the spot she was in before and took a few seconds to put back her mask before turning around to face us once more.

Umbridge: It is the view of the Ministry that theoretical knowledge will be sufficient to get you through your examinations which after all, is what school is all about.

I sarcastically raised my hand, I saw her eye twitch a little but she allowed me to talk.

(Y/N): School is also supposed to prepare us for the real world, how does the Ministry expect us to defend ourselves if we are ever in danger if as you say they think that a theoretical approach is knowledge enough?

Umbridge: Who do you imagine wants to attack children like yourself?

(Y/N): The Professor should know the answer to that better than me, you work at the Ministry after all. You deal with all kinds of criminals, that do unspeakable things to whoever they want, with no reason whatsoever, some who the Ministry can't even catch, so how can you stand there and tell us that the Ministry thinks that knowing the theory of spells is enough? What will the Ministry do off one of us is attacked by the same criminals they can't catch, and we can't at least defend ourselves long enough to be able to escape, uhm? What will they say to our families then? I'm sorry that we are so incompetent at both catching criminals and coming up with an appropriate course of defensive magic? Is that what they will say to our parents after we fail to defend ourselves? Cause that will turn out great.

Umbridge: Enough!

The sarcasm in my voice in the last sentences was palpable, I could hear the whispers of my classmates agreeing with me, Draco looked proud at my unintentional speech but I also know he was concerned about the consequences of it, I just squeezed his hand before looking at Hermione and Blaise both who were discreetly giving me a thumbs up in approval but just like Draco the concern was all over their faces.

I looked at Umbridge seeing her face all red, almost as if she was about to explode, it was a funny sight, to be honest, the color of her face matching well with the light pink of her wool jacket.

Umbridge: You are dismissed from this class, Miss Riddle. I will see you for detention later.

I didn't say anything, I just got up, grabbed my things, and gave Draco a quick kiss before wandless and wordless send the stupid book back towards her desk.

(Y/N): There. I won't need that. As you can see I'll do quite well without it or your class.

I smirked at her, and I could swear she would explode any second, I heard Draco sigh but we all know I was right, I don't know what the Ministry is thinking but I'm not going to pretend to be okay with it, especially since it could get any of us killed if we get attacked while alone, on Hogsmeade, during the breaks or quite literally any other time, we need to practice spells so we can adjust whatever we might do wrong and we are supposed to do that in class under the supervision of a Professor so nothing major happens, is quite literally what they are paid to do, so we don't cast spells wrongly when it really matters.

............................................................

Word Count: 1125