1

I could hear the screams of my people.
The sound of the beasts howls, echoed throughout the night.

I could see the faces frozen in horror who had gone out into the streets and witnessed the abominations rip their loved ones to shreds.

I could smell the fear. It was palpable. It was suffocating us in this small room. The royal family, the Royal delegates. All of our fears mixed into one gave a sour smell. Sickening.

A man I had briefly known, who was just recently elected into my father's council, stood close to me. I could feel every fear filled shaken breath that passed his lips.

Guards surrounded the small room we were packed tightly into. It was only a matter of minutes...hours maybe, until they sniff us out.

As I stood, awaiting my fate, I wondered how they would carry out their malicious intents. Would they taunt and maim us first? Or would it just be one mass slaughter? Would the beasts be in their true forms? Or there deceiving human forms? There was only one way to figure out these questions. For them to come.

I glanced down, feeling something at my leg. My heart swelled. A little boy, short blonde hair and deep blue eyes stared up at me. His eyes were large with fear.

"Esme," he said softly as he held something in his hands. It was a crown. "Momma said to wear it." I lifted the small little boy into my arms; hugging him tightly. "Esme stop! I gott'sa put your crown on your head."

Confusion had clouded my already muddled mind as my mother walked up to us. The Queen. She wore her crown and carried herself eloquently and graceful...even in this tragedy that was happening right before her eyes. "Mother...why do you want us to keep our crowns on?" I asked her.

She smiled, kissing me and Eddie on our foreheads. "You are a Princess, Esme. No invaders, no enemies will be able to take who you are from you. We are royalty to the end."

I nodded silently. Eddie clumsily placed my crown on my head. My mother quickly fixed it. "I'm going to go stand with your father...I love you two."

"Love you too mom," I said nervously as Eddie stuck his tongue out at her. My mother returned the face which made Eddie burst out into laugher. I understood what she meant. To die with honor. That was the only way to die and secure a place in the heavenly gates. Without honor, we are nothing.

I felt the crown weigh heavily upon my head, as my hands grappled at my baby brother. He was our future King...about to be killed by beasts. "Why are you cryin' Esme?" He wouldn't know. He was born with horrible hearing. He can't hear the horror that's terrorizing our kingdom.

Quickly wiping at my cheeks, I smiled. "Your crown is crooked, Eddie." He kissed my wet cheeks and then tried to adjust my crown. "Mines is fine," I laughed nervously as I heard the screams become louder...and more quick. They were hurrying their executions to get to the good stuff. Us.

The silence was so sickeningly loud...my stomach churned. The calm before the storm? There was no way the beasts were defeated by our men. It was impossible.

"Check the doors," someone urged, who was not my father, the King. Instead of the guards waiting for a command from my father, the man hesitantly unlocked the large door.

Everyone was quiet as he creaked the door open. "I...I don't see anyone in the hallway. I think that we-we are all-" he let lose a loud scream...then fell to the floor. There was so much pressing and pushing, I couldn't see what had been done to the man...but I knew he was dead.

I could see the door opening...then chaos broke out.
People shoved and pushed.
Horrible animalistic sounds ripped through the room full of fearful people.