45

"Esme....what is happening? I am tired...but not." Edwin lay in the bed beside Sarah. I had attempted to get us to hide out in his room....but he would not let me. Saying that he wished to be cooped up in Sarah's room if we had to stay in a certain room for a long time.

I had agreed....only because he was begging and I had not seen him in so long. Ever since I had birthed actually. It was not appropriate for a child to see the Queen in such a state...

"It is okay. You are just going to sleep," I smiled as I brushed at his short hair with my fingers as his eyes began to close. Hilda had made him a tea. A special tea to make him fall asleep just for the next few hours.

If anything awful happened he would not be awake to see or hear it. He was already scarred from the events of our kingdom perishing...I could not let him see myself perish or anyone else he has come to know and love if this plan did not work out.

After kissing his small forehead, I walked over to Sarah's side of the bed. She was now glistening with sweat. It made no sense. Sure her body was warm before...but now her nightgown was sticking to her small body. Her cheeks were flushed and her hair was pressed to her face. It made no sense. Whatever curse was upon her was it killing her poor small body? Whatever the reason, I would have to get Hilda to check her once this entire ordeal was over with.

I just wanted to sleep. My body ached everywhere. Mostly thanks to my husband who choked me earlier and attempted to almost murder me... I do hoped that he actually stayed alive during this interesting day. If we were to be attacked. He was in another room with Thorian. Away from me.

I had insisted upon it. I would not have my legacy wiped out from someone barging in and killing all of us in the same room. Just as my family wSs. If we were separated maybe even one of my parents might have lived... I refused to be with my son in these next few hours. I rather my son be wit the strongest of us. I knew Sirus would protect him with his life. I also knew if Edwin were to go with them, Sirus would not pay attention to him. Althohhh he grew fond of him over the months...Sirus's main priority was to his son not my child brother.

So, I had many, many guards outside of the room that Edwin and I were in. It would take an army...or an incredible strong person to get through all of those guards who were protecting us.

I just hoped that while I was protected in the castle...that whoever was guarding Chelsea would be protected too. She was my only friend and it would break what little heart I had left to know that she died for me. To help me...my son and Sirus. A man she did not like. I also hoped she stayed alive because of the insane wager that Sirus and Rowan had made. That if Chelsea were to die, Rowan would have full reign to kill Sirus and make me his wife. Rowan was a better man than Sirus in my eyes but I could never marry him, and he would never accept me.

Perhaps he would just let me go back to rule my homeland...

The thought made me smile...but it quickly vanished. The events that had to take place for me to get there were not good events to happen....so that would never, ever happen. Until Edwin was old enough to take the throne. Then again, only he might be able to be the rightful king to our father's kingdom and I would still be here...with Sirus.

As my thoughts brought me to places that I could not even fathom...a cold wind suddenly blew into the room. I had opened the large window pane because of Sarah's fever but now it was becoming increasingly cold. And it was getting a bit dark. The sun was setting for the night...

Getting up, I quickly made my way over to the window and began to push at its sides. I blinked a few times as a gust of cold hit me again. I even suppose I saw some black dust...swirl into the room. But that has to be my tired eyes jesting. Using the last ounce of strength I could muster, I quickly latched the two panes together and then pulled at the curtains.