20

Awkward. Uncomfortable.

That was the only way I could explain morning breakfast. No one said a word. Chelsea sat near Rowan, who fed her off of his plate. She seemed happy to eat from his fingers, as for me...I was more hesitant.

Sirus kept on bringing fruit up to my lips. I told him I despised grapes and I suppose he got offended. So now here I am, him feeding me spoonfuls of porridge. I was full...but his threatening stare was making me a bit nervous.

The only noise you could hear was Fiona. She sat at the end of the table. Clanking her utensils around loudly, as she ate. She was as silent as a mouse. Sirus kept throwing his intense gazes at her, most likely coaxing her to quiets her loud eating down.

It was odd for Rowan and Sirus not to be on speaking terms. Usually they filled the dining hall with loud conversations and laughter. So, Chelsea attempted to speak. Breaking the splitting silence.

"Where is Eddie and Sarah?"

I let lose a laugh, thinking about the two. "They are in the kitchen. Bothering the cooks." Before everyone had arrived for breakfast, I walked into the kitchen to get Eddie a cup of water, that turned into him questioning the cook. Then little Sarah appeared from out of thin air and they both began bombarding the poor old cooks. When I tried to pull them away they begged the cooks If they could stay, and surprisingly they agreed. I just hope they were not actually cooking food.

"That is adorable. Those two are just the sweetest things," Chelsea said while I heard Fiona make a noise. It sounded like a scoff. Chelsea was visibly clenching her fork. "Is there a problem, Princess?"

Fiona shook her head. "No. I agree. The human and a halfbreed are adorable," she said deadpan like, as she moved her seat back and looked at Sirus. "Brother, may I be excused?"

"Yes," Sirus said sharply. She quickly got up and left, just as a maid bought in tea.

"Here your majesty," the woman said while setting the tea down. I thanked her while taking the cup in hand.

"Rowan, have you reached out to the Dragon Kingdom's army general?" Sirus asked, as his fingers kneaded into my back. It was oddly soothing.

"No," Rowan said shortly as he just stared at me. I felt awkward and looked away as I sipped at the warm tea.

"Well," Sirus grumbled. "I need you to do that as soon as possible. The King and his Queen will be here within the week. We should be preparing for war. We should have a plan."

"Esme!" A loud voice shouted. I set the tea down, and watched as Eddie ran over to me. Flour covering his pants, shirt and in his hair. He jumped in my lap and proceeded to get flour all over me as he hugged me.

"Hi Eddie," I smiled as Sirus just glared down at us. Probably annoyed that Eddie had managed to get this dress that he had complimented me on earlier dirty with flour. The only reason why he liked it was because my chests were out.

"Esme, I am tired! I cannot work in the kitchen. It makes me sweat and Sarah is bossing me around!" He exclaimed as I wiped at his forehead. "I am thirsty," he announced as he went to grab my tea cup.

"No, Edwin," Sirus snapped, quickly grabbing the tea from his hands. In which made Eddie...growl. I glared down at him, as Sirus just smirked. "Drink this. It's cold. That tea is hot," he said while handing him over his glass of water. I was still in amazement that Eddie had growled.