19

Something did not sit right with me as me and Chelsea were escorted back into the castle. It wasn't the bread...but the list of ingredients that I needed to complete this...this spell. I could not possibly get everything. Should I even attempt to tamper with the natural law?

It was evil....but if there was a way to do it.. was it really that bad?

"You two are back so soon?"

Rowan met us in the foyer, an unreadable expression on his face. "Yes. Chelsea brought me to a wonderful bakery. Here, taste some," I smiled as I tore off a piece and gave it to Rowan. He shook his head as he glanced at Chelsea.

Since he did not take it, I popped it into my mouth and ate it. "Chelsea, we have to speak alone."

She tensed up. "Your highness and I were just getting ready to-"

"-That was not an option, Chelsea," Rowan said sternly as I watched his eyes begin to...well he began to show his wolf. I glanced at Chelsea. She straightened up even more.

"We will speak later, Chelsea," I said with a comforting smile. Rowan looked less than happy with her. He wrapped an arm around her waist, and they disappeared down the hall.

"Esmeralda."

I turned around slowly, watching a hidden figure appear from around the corner. It was Fiona. She had a far off look in her eyes. "Fiona..." I said while taking a step back. So Sirus has listened to my advice? I have to say it is surprising. My mother had to fight my father tooth and nail to get her views across about things and Sirus had just....listened. It was odd. Odd for a man. Even more odd for a beast.

"H-how is your back?" She questioned, as she seemed to twitch a bit. It pained her...to be nice to me probably. "Thank you for speaking to my-"

"-You do not have to act as if you like me. I did a kind deed not to help you necessarily. You do not have to do anything to repay me. If that is what you are thinking."

She awkwardly looked around before sighing. "You have no idea what I do and do not have to do. I am expressing my thanks and that is all." After that, she walked away from me.

That...was odd but it was not like I wanted her to be angry and crazed like before...

I could hear Eddie from a distance. And screams. It sounded like little Sarah. I followed their loud yet small voices, for a few minutes before I was met with a door. It was Sirus's study.

Before I could even think logically, I whipped open the door, my eyes quickly wandering around, mainframe sure both little children were not harm.

There saw Sirus at his desk, book in hand. Looking incredibly annoyed. "Esme!" Eddie shouted with glee as he ran over to me hugging my leg.

"Your highness!" Sarah said while doing the same thing. Each child owned one of my legs. I could not help but laugh as they squeezed me tightly.

"Why so happy to see me?" I questioned.

"No one would play with us! Rowan was an angry toad, and Sirus is a boring sloth! We were looking for you and Chelsea," Eddie exclaimed. "And we have your mud pie outside," he announced as I felt his little hand grabbing at my loaf of bread.

I tore off a piece and handed it to him, then to Sarah who ate it up quickly. "You two leave us," Sirus announced, as I watched Eddie try and reach for my bread again.

Sighing, I broke it in half and handed one to Eddie and the other to Sarah. "Thank you, Queen Esmeralda!" Sarah smiled as Eddie took her hand and they ran away from us.