17

"Sarah, do your mother and father work in the castle too?" I asked her as she hid behind me, clutching onto my dress, as I heard Eddie's loud footsteps running down the hall. She was hiding from him. I had followed the two around for about an hour. Chelsea was at lunch with Rowan and I had occupied myself with the children until her return.

"No...they passed on to the moon,"she said softly while I felt her playing with my dress. My heart sunk as I stared down at the little girl. She was giggling, while pulling me back by my dress. Her parents...has passed? She was an orphan? Who took care of her? What happened to them?

"Oh," I said slowly as I felt her lifting up my dress. "Sarah," I said in surprise as she hid under my dress. "Sarah you cannot hide under..." I trailed off as she told me to shush while her little hands were clutching my bare legs.

"Esme! Where is Sarah?" In came Eddie out of breath with his cheeks reddened. His smile was contagious. It made me smile in turn.

"I do not know....maybe you should check..." I could hear Chelsea whispering 'in the gardens' and was surprised when Eddie could not hear her little voice. "Maybe you should check in the gardens," I said as he frowned before huffing loudly.

"Okay. Tell if you see her!" He then went running off down the hall, making maids and guards quickly move out of his way.

"Sarah...you can come out now." I found myself laughing as she tumbled out from under my dress, her hair looking as if a bird nested there.

I bent down, running my fingers through her hair, and smoothing down her little locks. "I just have to fix your beautiful hair...it looks unruly," I told her as she smiled widely up at me as if I was giving her a treat.

"You sound like...like a mommy," she said while my hands quickly pulled away from her long strands. "You act like one too," she added as I shook my head. I could act like one all I wanted...I would not become one. Anytime soon.

"Sirus, pleaaassee! I cannot find her anywhere!" I could hear Eddie's loud voice down the hall once again.

Sarah's little hand instantly grabbed my own. "We have to run! If he finds me I have to eat a mud cake!" I grimaced. That did not sound good but I ate a beetle when I was a child... My bottom was severely warmed for it too. "Please Queen Esmerelda!"

I sighed, cursing Chelsea for not arriving earlier. We would be on our way to her village...not stuck playing some silly game. "Alright."

We began to race down the hall. Sarah's little feet couldn't keep up with me as we rounded the corners and I could hear Eddie's voice. "Go faster, Sirus!! I hear her!"

Was Sirus carrying him? That was not fair. I scooped up Sarah and held her on my hip, before rushing down the hall and then entering a random room.

My heart was beating erratically, as was Sarah. She had her face tucked into my neck. Holding on to me tightly. "I will surrender. Maybe he will have mercy and make me eat half of the mud pie."

"No," I whispered. "We do not surrender," I told her as she looked at me with a surprise. Probably wondering why on earth I told her not to surrender to a child's game. I was the Queen and I was hiding from my six year old brother.  I was pathetic. And incredibly bored.

I quickly and stealthily tip toed over to the large dresser and behind it. It was a few feet from the door. So even if they did walk in here by some odd chance they would not see us immediately.

The door creaked. Sarah held on to me tighter. "I do not think they are in here." I stifled a laugh. Eddie was the worse whisperer in the land.

"Yes they are, Edwin. I smell both of them."