38

He said those words with his eyes closed tightly. His entire body shaking with each breath he took. I could feel his lengthened nails digging into my skin.

Was it possible that he was fighting the beast? Fighting his animalistic urges to dominate me?

Whatever the reason be, I broke apart.

Thinking about everything that had been bothering me for the past days.

What were to become of Sirus and I? We were not compatible companions yet my body called to him and his mind and body called to me.

The child growing in my belly who also was called towards Sirus.

Eddie who was so young and helpless. Having to be raised by the awful likes of me and not his parents.

"I said I am sorry, Esmeralda." He was now holding me, listening to my sobs. His hands going to my belly. Rubbing it.

"Why don't you cut the child out of me? Take what you want so bad and leave me to die?" I questioned my irrational thoughts getting the best of me. I knew he cared for the child more than me. That's why he did not force himself on me. Because of the child. He could not possibly really care for me.

"Because you are my wife and I will not let something so idiotic as death keep you from being mine," was his simple reply, as I slowly sat up to stare at him.

He stared back at me, a leery look in his eyes as I sighed, running my hands through my tangled hair and wiping at my tears. "Why? Why do you do this Sirus? Do this to both of us?"

"Do what, Esmeralda?" He questioned, his tone becoming more guarded as he straightened up copying my movements.

He knew what I spoke of. "This! And do not use the mate bond or pull." I held my hands up gesturing to everything around us.

"You would really like to know?"

I nodded my head. If I have to spend the rest of my life with him I might as well find out now.

He shook his head, looking me over before sighing loudly. He seemed tired...of some sort. "Because you are my second chance, Esmeralda. I did not want a second chance after her. I wanted to suffer and be angry at the gods. They had another idea. They sent me a human to deal with. I said I would show the gods. I will make her life with me hell so she will end it just as the first one did. But when you attempted to the first day, I was weak and stopped you."

I had recalled the day I thought of ending my life. I wanted to do it with my mothers dagger....

"I thought this time I will push her to end her life. I will take her against her will...in the name of tradition. Surely a mere human cannot handle that. But you lived. Somewhere between you doing that and amongst other trivial things I wanted you by my side. Any woman who can handle such things deserves to be a Queen. My Queen."

My hand connected with his face. "You....you did that...no Sirus not even you could be so cruel as to do that to me."

He was silent, as I shook my head, slowly rising from the bed. "Sirus, tell me you had to take me...that is was law. That you had to do it. That you didn't do it to be cruel!"