XXVI

I thought the wake was bad. Oh no this was the morning of the funeral. I couldn't even get any sleep because mama was yelling out in cries all night. Staying up with her trying to comfort her only made me feel even more chewed up inside. I was really starting to feel like I wasn't going to make it through this funeral. As I sat that morning on the side of my bed. Lord give me the strength to make it through this day.

"Come on baby get dress breakfast is ready wash up do whatever the limos will be here soon."

My aunt spoked barging in my room. Since my mom was still not emotionally equipped to do things my aunt Rhonda took charged. She was the family go to girl for anything dealing with the family whether its family reunion or a funeral.

"Aye auntie is my mom up yet?"

"She is functional finally she in the shower you just need to do what I said go eat and get dressed."

She made her final remark and left. Sighing a little I stood to my feet and walked to the bathroom.

"OK Y'ALL LETS DOUBLE UP! DOUBLE UP! LET'S MOVE IF YOU AINT IN THE SHOWER LETS GET IN IT! I DONT CARE IF YALL BATHE TOGETHER YALL FAMILY!"

My aunt shouted going down the hall. Dang she can sound like a drill Sargent at times. Jumping in the shower I scrubbed and washed myself up good. Do to the fact that we were pressed for time I took a quick fifteen-minute shower instead of an hour.

Drying myself off I slipped into some lounging clothes really quick, so I could eat. Making my way up the hall there was a line going out the kitchen everybody was trying to get something to eat.

"Here"

I heard a deep voice say. Looking down and in front of me there was a plate with some grits eggs sausage two strips of bacon and a piece of toast. I looked over my shoulder and saw that it was Tye with the plate.

"I made you a plate, so you wouldn't have to wait."

He whispered to me. In my head I'm was like damn he making me a plate he so sweet.

"Thank you but I'm not hungry. I just want some__.

"Juice"

He finished my sentence giving me a cup of orange juice. I instantly cracked a little smile. Ok he was being too sweet to me, but it won't work.

"Haven't seen that in a minute."

"Yea...me too"

I said taking my food and drink and rushing to my room. After everyone had their belly full the big moment was here. We were on our way to the church. It was me, Anton, Shamya, Momma, and Tyrese in the first limo. Shamya and Tyrese had to ride because I couldn't handle both mom and Anton myself. Shamya holding Anton and me and Tyrese keeping my mama. Pulling up to the Church the cries gotten more loud and awful. My mama was about to pass out. Being escorted out the car we all was lined up, so we could enter the church. As we walked into the church following behind the casket I was clinching my jaws so hard trying not to lose it all. Trying to be strong for everybody but they wasn't holding up themselves. Looking around the church was full of people. All I could think was dang my pops knew a lot of people.

"oh god "

I cracked up. Still fighting not to cry realizing that the church was singing pops favorite song Jesus Promise me a home over there I was cracking under pressure at this point. I was feeling like a boiling pot. I wanted to walk by myself in the church behind Ant and my mother. Thinking I could do it. The pressure build and build as I saw Ant fall out and then my mama from walking up to the casket.

"OK Chris you got this"

I thought to myself as I step forth. Now that was my turn I took a deep breath and walked forward. But I was wrong. Oh how I was wrong. I simply lost it.

...

The Service... The burial site. I couldn't do it. When I saw his face I choked. I wasn't strong anymore. He was there laying in a casket in his favorite black suit. He couldn't or say nothing, he wasn't in pain no more or sick no more. He was at peace. My father was dead! My dad was gone and wasn't coming back. It finally hit me that I was burring my father today. The one I looked up too. I couldn't take It. I was so choked up they had to rush me out the church. As soon as I got out side I threw up. Everything came up.

"Aye Chris...man you good?"

I heard someone speak touching my shoulder. I had zoned out for a minute coming back to reality we were at the repasts. Everyone sitting around mingling joking and laughing. I look over at the table with my mom see she was smiling and talking to my aunt them.

"Chris!"

Somebody shoved me a little turning to see it was Anton. His eyes were blood shot red but he seem well.

"I asked was you ok?"

"Oh...yea yea I'm good. Just trying to culp. You good?"

"Yea...shit this been crazy."

"I know... I see mama trying to smile now."

"Hell yea...but it ain't over yet, but look me and may about to ride out. So Tyrese riding home with you and mama and auntie ight?!"

"Ok"

"Ight aye don't let nobody go in my room."

I nodes my head agreeing with his commands. I was ready to go myself. Walking out to the car I sat in the passenger side and laid my head back. I just needed a moment. That was short lived with a tap to the window.

"Mind if I join?"

Tyrese wouldn't give up for nothing. I huffed and unlocked the door letting him in on the driver's side.

"You good?"

"Yes"

"Ok...where Ant?!"

"Gone."

"Hmm...and yo mama?"

"Tye I'm not talking to you."

"Ight then don't... Just feel me."

He said and before I could catch him he caught me. Damn!