Unwanted Opinions and Secrets

- Cece's POV -

Celery, papaya, mango, strawberries and lychees were all I needed, right? I think to myself.

I hate grocery shopping, shopping lists aren't really my strong point and I end up forgetting to put down half the fruit most of the time.

Just as I'm choosing the perfect papaya, an irritating voice speaks up from behind me. "You don't deserve Adam."

I turn around and death glare Melanie. "I don't recall asking for your opinion."

She flicks her hair over her shoulder and cackles. "How could someone like him even want to be near someone like you." Her tone made me lose confidence slightly.

I roll my eyes. "Degrading me isn't going to give you brownie points with him," I take a menacing step closer and look her square in the eyes. "I find it strange that you have some obsession with my boyfriend, I've tried being nice but clearly you're more stupid than I anticipated. Stay away from my boyfriend, go find someone else's life to ruin."

She smirks. "Ah still the same, pathetic girl who tries to intimidate others in order to get her way. You don't scare me, peasant, before you know it Adam will realise how much better he can do. You are nothing, why would he want to date a pathetic, narcissistic, filthy peasant who can't even save her own family."

Why does everyone think it's okay to diss my family? I'm about to reply, but for once I'm at a loss for words. I shrug it off, grab my fruit and head back to my apartment.

My hands shakily dial a familiar number into my phone. "Hey, sweetie, what's up?" Adam's voice answers.

"Your friend Melanie certainly seems to have an opinion about our relationship, I just had a lovely conversation with her." I try to keep the bitterness out of my tone but it's impossible.

"What did she do?"

I sigh. "All she said was that you could do better, that's all."

"Are you sure?" He sounds worried.

"Relax, I'm fine. I just wanted to let you know in case she tries to change the story at all."

He laughs lightly. "I'll be sure to let her know what the story actually is. Thank you, for letting me know."

I smile and unintentionally blush for no real reason but then I remember my fruit. "I should go, she interrupted my grocery shopping."

He cracks up laughing. "Cece, we've already established that you can't grocery shop."

I roll my eyes and smile. "Someone isn't getting my signature smoothie-"

"What? No! I take it all back. Did I ever tell you how beautiful you are, how much I loooove you?" He lengthens out the 'o' sound and emphasises it.

"Fine I'll make you a damn smoothie, love you too." I grin.

"I'll never get used to hearing that. Anyway I'll let you get back to your attempt at grocery shopping, I love you my beautiful girlfriend."

"Love you more, Adam. See you later." We hang up and I hoist my basket over my shoulder and carry it back home.

I didn't tell Adam about Melanie's other comments because I didn't want him to worry, plus I wanted to forget about it.

Man my insomnia isn't going to be fun tonight.

- Adam's POV -

Once I finish my call with Cece, I see Melanie up ahead. I'm hoping she hasn't seen me yet.

"Hey, Adam." Too late.

I turn around and come face to face with Melanie. "Hi."

"I'm guessing your girlfriend told you what I said?" She put her hands on her hips.

I nod. "We spoke just before, actually."

She scoffs. "Surely she must've mentioned how she totally insulted my family. Seriously she had the audacity to degrade my family. That was why I said what I did."

I pause for a second, Cece never mentioned this but then again she didn't mention Melanie degrading her family. "I don't believe my girlfriend could be that petty and pathetic."

She rolls her eyes. "You'd be surprised, she had a strong opinion on my family and I really don't appreciate it at all."

"I'm certain Cece would never do that, I know my girlfriend."

"Okay then surely she at least mentioned to you about how she was asked to join an elite fighting crew from another city?"

Well she left that out of our conversation.

"Look I don't need you giving your unwanted opinion on something that isn't any of your damn business. I love Cece, she will talk to me about it when she's ready to."

Melanie pouted and stomped her foot before storming off. Man that girl is way too dramatic.

Without even really thinking of where I'm going I find myself knocking on Cece's door. I need answers.

"Hey, Adam." She smiles.

"We need to talk."