63

"I don't want to go, Father," Cassie told him for the hundredth time.

"The Dark Lord requests you— "

"I'm not doing it," she refused. "I'm not going there." She glanced at the woman who had come into the room. "Mother! Can't you tell Aunt Bella to tell him that I can't go?"

"Cassie, you know that won't work," she replied sadly. "Lucius, I'll speak with her alone."

Lucius abided by his wife's request. He closed the door behind him, then Narcissa said, "Would you like to tell me what the real reason is that you can't go?"

"I told you, I've got to prepare for the next school year," she said. "Slughorn's no longer there so I'm taking care of every class."

Narcissa sat on her bed, giving her the look. Cassie sighed and said, "I'm not comfortable going someplace where people I knew have a chance of dying."

"You became attached." Her mother sighed. "You weren't supposed to— "

"I know, I know," Cassie said. "This is all because of Potter. He's having everyone risk their lives. It's the reason Cedric's dead, reason Sirius is, Dumbledore... "

"Cassie, do this for us," Narcissa said. "Please... if not, he may send out Draco and he... he can't."

Cassie remembered the look on his face whenever he was in the presence of the Dark Lord. She remembered his face when the professor landed on the table and the snake dissected the body.

"Mom, I'm scared."

Her mother hugged her and said, "I know."

"I'll do it... It seems I have to," Cassie said.

:::

Cassie picked up her broom with shaky hands. She had left her home with Bellatrix flying by her side. They traveled to Potter's home — number four, Privet Drive. The sky was dark, the night cool. They were waiting behind the dark clouds, getting ready to kill.

"Cassie... " Snape began. "If you wish to leave, you can."

Cassie shook her head. "I have to do this. I can do it."

Curses flew everywhere. It was time yet Cassie stayed put, looking at the chaos. She couldn't tell who, but people were knocked off their brooms as spells hit them in the chest.

"Cassie! Get out of here!" Snape yelled, defending her from a spell.

She snapped out of whatever she was in and began flying. She wanted to leave, but she wanted to stay, making sure everyone made it out safely.

The Dark Lord had appeared from nowhere, heading straight towards a group of Aurors. She recognized Mundungus, but she didn't look at him for long. He Disapparated and a flash of green light crossed her eyes.

"No!"

Cassie saw him fall off his broom and watched as he plummeted towards the ground. She froze on the spot. It wasn't until a curse had missed her by inches that she came back to her senses.

"What the hell are you doing?!" the Death Eater scolded.

She took a deep breath, joining the fight. She never cast a Killing Curse, but cast spells, trying to make it look like she was trying to aim at them.

Then, for a moment, there was silence. Everyone had gone. Cassie joined the group of Death Eaters collecting the body that fell. She wanted to know who, afraid it would be someone closest to her.