01

"Cassie!" Narcissa called from the bottom of the stairs. "Come on down! We must leave soon for Diagon Alley!"

"Coming, Mum!" Cassie called back.

She stood in front of her full-length mirror as she put her coat on. She styled her hair, then exited her bedroom. She walked downstairs, meeting her mother and her younger brother, Draco. A moment later, her father walked in.

They grabbed hands and Cassie was pulled into darkness. She saw the sign and landed on her feet, her family beside her. The family of four entered the Leaky Cauldron in London. They paid no attention to the wizards and witches inside the pub and went straight for the entrance to Diagon Alley.

Lucius tapped on the brick wall and it began rearranging, opening up to make a hole. Witches and wizards walked along the main alley, people walking in and out of shops. A family caught Lucius's eye. They stared at the shops and magical artifacts through a window in awe.

"Filthy Muggles and Mudbloods," snarled Lucius. "Remember, Draco, not to mingle with their kind."

"Of course, Father," Draco replied, turning away from the family.

"We need to get you fitted for your new robes, Cassie," Narcissa told her daughter. "Draco, come along. Your father will fetch your books, won't you?"

"Of course," Lucius said, stalking off towards Flourish and Blotts.

Cassie followed after her mother slowly as they walked towards Madam Malkin's Robes For All Occasions. Narcissa had left them to get fitted, then took off to purchase her things.

"I really don't think they should let the other sort in, do you? They're just not the same, they've never been brought up to know our ways. Some of them have never even heard of Hogwarts until they get the letter, imagine. I think they should keep it in the old wizarding families. What's your surname, anyway?"

"Draco!" called Cassie as she walked toward her brother and the boy after she finished. "Come on. I'm to take you to get your wand."

"Well, I'll see you at Hogwarts, I suppose," Draco said to the boy.

"Thank you, Madam Malkin," said Cassie as she walked out with her brother behind her.

"Can't we look at brooms?" asked Draco. "I'll ask Father to buy one."

"Sure," said Cassie. "After we get your wand. It's far more important than a broom."

They stopped in front of Ollivanders and Draco walked inside as Cassie waited.

"Malfoy," said a voice. Cassie turned around, greeted by Marcus Flint. "Your younger brother's getting his wand?"

"Yeah," Cassie nodded. "What have you come here for? Certainly not for the books. You can hardly read."

"Haha, very funny," Flint said, glaring at the girl. "My father's just got me a new broom. Comet 260."

"Not the Nimbus 2000?" said Cassie with a contemptuous smirk. "Too poor?"

"You should just give up," Flint told her. "You're never going to make it on the Quidditch team."

"Only because you've never allowed me to try out!" Cassie remarked, outraged.

"Hey, Flint!" a voice called. Just down the alleyway, a boy came running down the path. He was a fifth-year student on the Gryffindor Quidditch team. "You've got some nerve picking fights with her."

"I can handle myself, Wood," Cassie said.

Oliver Wood, Keeper, and captain of the Gryffindor Quidditch team. Cassie's acquaintance as she could not openly call him a true friend. Their friendship was a secret for Cassie did not want to know what would happen if she were caught being friends with him.